Detailing question for all you pros!

How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Gump12

Detailing question for all you pros!

Post by Gump12 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums but have been 'lurking' for about a year :)

I've just received conformation that my M140 has been build and is on route to the dealer!!!

This might have been covered before however following a search I could only see detailing guides rather than this question!

So, I've been told not to allow the dealer to detail my car (the offer a package for about 300 = off the top of my head) and that it should be done by someone else. This is my first brand new car - new job thought id treat myself. Before hand I've always done myself the soap water wash with a dry. Proper basic stuff.

So my questions are, what happens if I don't get my car detailed (im owning it for 4 years)

Should I get a 3rd party to detail it, if so what kind of prices are reasonable - just want it looking nice and protected

Should I buy my own stuff within the 200£ budget and give it a go?

Would rather not make a mistake and want to know what to do prior to collection day!

If this has been asked somewhere else I apologise.

:)

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Detailing question for all you pros!

Post by .Griff. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! Forgive the abrupt nature of the responses, I'm trying to multitask and failing.
So my questions are, what happens if I don't get my car detailed (im owning it for 4 years)
Nothing happens is the short answer. It's a bit like asking what happens if I don't have steak for tea.

Depending on what you opt for, a "Detailed" car, and it's such a generic term, will arguably look better, have some added protection against the elements (again depending on what you opt for), and be easier to clean but the earth won't end or the doors fall off if you don't get it done.
Should I get a 3rd party to detail it, if so what kind of prices are reasonable - just want it looking nice and protected
Let's assume you opt for a single stage correction and ceramic coating. I'm just using that as a starting point as "Nice and protected" could literally mean anything. I'd say £400 - £600 is reasonable for the paintwork. Then again you could double or triple that depending on what you want to achieve.

Obviously, wheel treatment, glass treatment, leather treatment etc would add costs.
Should I buy my own stuff within the 200£ budget and give it a go?
£200 will get some decent products but you haven't said what "it" is. Applying ceramic coating is relatively straightforward but as contradictory as this sounds it's also relatively easy to screw up as well. Beter left to the professionals unless you're confident you know what you're doing.

If £200 is all you have to play with then you're better off spending that one some decent cleaning products. After all, a "detailed" car still needs to be looked after properly so you'll still have to invest in some decent kit.
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

Jonw246
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonw246 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

200 would buy you some decent ph neutral shampoo, fallout remover, claybar, glaze and wax which should get you covered for the basics. Personally I would spend the extra and get somebody who knows what they’re doing to give it a new car detail with protection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Get it done by a pro and then you can keep up the maintenance (a proper detailer should tell you what this entails)

Surprised dealers aren't providing a proper service themselves..
2006 130i manual :)

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Where are you based :?:
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Wheato120d

Post by Wheato120d » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

As said before ... a proper clean can range from 10-1000 depending on how far you want to go ... I wouldn't apply ceramic myself unless I had a garage to do it in ...

Best thing to do is get the car... then find a local detailer to Come inspect the car...and go from there ...

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Gump12

Post by Gump12 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!

I’m based in Hertfordshire, so if you know any particularly decent chaps around my way that would be great!

Thanks for all the help

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”