Baby BMW Forum banner

Detailing/ waxing

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  moulin12 
#1 ·
After finally sourcing my first BMW I'm going to give it a good clean and wax on Sunday(weather permitting) I purchased an estoril blue m sport on Thursday.
Can any body recommend a good cleaning system wax product? I was looking at auto glym or auto finesse products.
What do people on here use?
Cheers
Andy

#2 ·
Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax would be my recommendation.

If you're going to do it properly then you really need to do a full decon, eg. de-iron, de-tar and clay, followed by a polish then apply the wax. Probably too much for you to do on one day especially if you haven't got all the products yet and particularly this time of year. I'd wait until later in the new year and just apply some Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (you can get BSD from Eurocarparts) after your wash for the time being, will be enough to protect the car until the weather gets better.

#3 ·
If you want to get some protection, good finish and value for money. Look at Collinite 476, also id look to get the wheels sealed, helps protect against break dust and salt and easier cleaning in future, but you need to get them really clean first - something like poor boys wheel seal. Agree with above, for a high quality finish it's all in the prep work and the methods and applicators used, spend some of the budget on a couple of clean buckets, half decent MIT and some drying towels..... The costs soon add up!

#5 ·
neilmcl said:
I'd wait until later in the new year and just apply some Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (you can get BSD from Eurocarparts) after your wash for the time being, will be enough to protect the car until the weather gets better.
Yep this would get my vote. BSD is good stuff and a lot easier / quicker to apply.

#6 ·
I would wash the car and put a bit or washing up liquid in to strip any wax / polish off. De-tar using autoglym tar and adhesive remover. Clay bar the car. I use autoglym high def cleanser. Then if the car needs it I give it a polish using super resin polish, I then use autoglym high def wax, then I use extra gloss protection and the car pops!

For the wheels I normally take them off. I was them using an alloy wheel cleaner. Not fussed what I use but normally autoglym. I then use tar and adhesive remover. I would clay bar using an older piece of clay. I use a wheel wax (can't remember what it's called) then I spray autoglym wheel sealant on.

I understand this sounds like an awfully long process. I usually only do this twice a year. This is what I call a major detail. I then normally just maintain it once a week.

#7 ·
I hot my 140 in July. It had a wash when BMW fitted the LSD, but I reckon it might be due its second wash soon. Hasn't been raining hard enough recently to get it clean.

So I don't know much about car washing, but I do know not to use washing up liquid...

#10 ·
When it comes to my major detail I use a bit of washing up liquid to strip everything off my car. I want all wax, polish and protection removed as my intention is to completely redo the car. You should never ever use washing up liquid if your just doing a regular wash! I feel polish and wax can go dull after a long period of time. Nothing better than to strip it all off and completely redo it. The car always pops! Next time I get around to doing mine I will post pictures. Does take the whole day but we'll worth the effort.

#11 ·
joe.bloggs1 said:
When it comes to my major detail I use a bit of washing up liquid to strip everything off my car. I want all wax, polish and protection removed as my intention is to completely redo the car. You should never ever use washing up liquid if your just doing a regular wash! I feel polish and wax can go dull after a long period of time. Nothing better than to strip it all off and completely redo it. The car always pops! Next time I get around to doing mine I will post pictures. Does take the whole day but we'll worth the effort.
moulin12 said:
Could be wrong, but if the intention is to strip the lsp, then nothing wrong with washing up liquid, so long as the cars thoroughly rinsed. That said, right or wrong, wouldn't be my preferred method.
This is one of those 'rumours' that gets out of hands!!

Washing Up Liquid doesn't strip wax, all it does is cover the car in surfectants (enzyms in the solution) that sit ontop of the wax making it look like its gone. Only mechanical abrasion (hand polishing or machine polishing) will remove it

#12 ·
[/quote]

Washing Up Liquid doesn't strip wax, all it does is cover the car in surfectants (enzyms in the solution) that sit ontop of the wax making it look like its gone. Only mechanical abrasion (hand polishing or machine polishing) will remove it
[/quote]

If you read up online it does exactly as I said. It strips wax and protection from the car. Here's an article in the telegraph.

Lots if details use it. I have done for many many years and always get the results I strive for. Never have I had any issues.

#13 ·
Fusso soft 99 dark, if applied properly you get a good 9 to 12 months from it. I've used on a couple of cars and very easy. I do De tar with autoglym, then clay mitt, then meguires gold class which removes residues and old sealants, then 2 coats of fusso followed sonax brilliant shine detail.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

#14 ·

[/quote]

If you read up online it does exactly as I said. It strips wax and protection from the car. Here's an article in the telegraph.

Lots if details use it. I have done for many many years and always get the results I strive for. Never have I had any issues.
[/quote]

Nope - Detailers don't use it (I am one) because we know it doesn't work. Ultra strong TFR's maybe.

I have seen both the science and the practicle proof of why it doesn't work.

However - if you are happy using it then please don't let me stop you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.