How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Beginner... applying C2V3 sealant.

Post by McTrucky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi all,

My idea of car washing was "Let the dealer do it every service", but now I am paranoid about swirls and stuff that I never knew existed until recently.... Bl@@dy forum....😅

So now I have got a bottle of gtechniq C2V3, then read it works best after PanelWipe has been used, so now got that on order (gtechiniq PW). And got some cheap easy spray on wax from Wilko to go on top of the sealant, hoping to get a bit of extra depth and shine. Also got a bag of microfibre cloths and mits.

So... the process is wash, panel wipe, c2v3 seal, wax, beer.

But what to wash with? All the shampoos I read about all seem to have wax of some sort in them, but as I will be panel wiping after the wash, would like a wash that does not leave any residue behind. Once the seal has been done, then a waxy glossy one will be fine, but what do you recomend for the initial wash?

Should I not worry about it as the panel wipe will cut through it easily?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Beginner... applying C2V3 sealant.

Post by marco_polo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:42 pm

I usually use Fairy Liquid + rinse before applying sealant, its not usually recommended for cars as it removes wax, but I think it's ok in this specific case.

I'm no detailer though Alan, maybe wait for some more informed advice....
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:49 pm

My head is kind of leading that way as well, even something like Flash hard surface cleaner... Just feels wrong....
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

JonD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by JonD » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Go to halfrauds and get G3 Body Prep Shampoo, removes waxes etc in an ideal world you’ll following that wipe down with something like carpro earaser, Isopropanol or some other simlar product.

Edit : Gtechniq do a panel wipe product also.

scrounger
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Beginner... applying C2V3 sealant.

Post by scrounger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:23 am

Wash using a wax free shampoo. Dry and then wipe over with PW. Apply the C2v3 and apply another coat after a couple of hours. Job done.

Just top up after every wash. The PW will remove any previous waxes.

You won’t need the spray wax as C2 will do.
Previous: MG F20 125i MSport, Manual, Xenons, Interior Comfort Pack
Now: AW F20 LCI 120d MSport, Sports Auto, Black Panel Display, Ferric Grey Alloys, Sun Protection Glass, Strut Brace, K&N Air Filter, H&K Tweeters and Mids

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:33 am

As someone who's also fairly new (and pretty lazy) to all this, my advice would be buy a decent shampoo, Autoglym or G3 can be bought at Halfords and they are ok, pretty sure neither of them have any wax in them so should do the job.

Also the panel wipe will be pretty good at giving a good base for the c2v3. If you can be arsed, more than one layer will work well, when I did it on my car I did one layer, then made sure glass/interior etc was clean and then did one more layer.

The second layer will go on much better and the paint should already feel smooth and look good. Then wait for it to rain and admire your hard work :mrgreen:
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm

A few weeks ago I had never even bought car shampoo in my entire life. And I'm in my 50s.

Now I have g3 body prep shampoo, gold nourishing shampoo, c2v3 sealant, spray wax, panel wipe, fluffy mitts, micro fibre cloths. Even thinking about buying a special bucket!

She who must be obeyed thinks I am having some sort of episode 😂😂🤣.

Monkeyjm22
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Monkeyjm22 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm
A few weeks ago I had never even bought car shampoo in my entire life. And I'm in my 50s.

Now I have g3 body prep shampoo, gold nourishing shampoo, c2v3 sealant, spray wax, panel wipe, fluffy mitts, micro fibre cloths. Even thinking about buying a special bucket!

She who must be obeyed thinks I am having some sort of episode 😂😂🤣.
:lol: :lol: same here, my list of products is growing severely.

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”