Baby BMW Forum banner

Waxing your car and then washing a few weeks later

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mouse140i 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

looking for some advice on caring for the car after waxing.

It's had the full clay bar treatment as the paintwork had loads of rubbish in it, took a good few days, then I waxed it with Simoniz Original Wax. That was about 5 weeks ago and the car is pretty dirty now, so whats the procedure for cleaning the car without taking all the wax off? Or is 5 weeks long enough that it will need another waxing session?

Also, inbetween waxes whats the best way to clean it without taking all the wax off?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Yes, as above, some mild shampoo at a normal concentration won't affect your wax. Don't be tempted to eyeball it, follow the instructions as they're all different.

Use the weight of your wash mitt, no pressure required.

You should get a good 3-4months + out of your wax as long as you stay away from chemicals on the paint.

In between waxing; I just use a fortified shampoo, something with wax in it like Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. When drying this off, it leaves behind enough protection for a week or so. So this sits above all your hard work taking the abuse for a while.

If you don't want two shampoos, then a spray wax/Detailer is a good idea. Wash the car as normal, but before you dry a panel, a couple of mists of spray wax will serve the same job. I use Megs Ultimate Quik Wax.

(There are millions of products available, but these are solid performers and available anywhere)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
Don't be afraid would be my first advice.

Despite what people may tell you a decent wax, applied correctly, isn't the delicate little creature some make out.

Naturally, it goes without saying that poorly diluted TFR or products such as fallout remover, tar remover and such likes will all have an impact but most, if not all, car shampoos at the correct dilution won't hurt the wax.

It's the physical act of washing and drying that removes the wax so you could wash it with angel tears but eventually, the wax will diminish. Over exaggeration but you get the point.

As for shampoos, we could debate it all day. I prefer Gyeon Bathe (not Bathe+) lately with Sonax BSD as a drying aid.

#7 ·
Cheers for the input guys, some good info here. Whats your opinion on some of the cheapo stuff like triplewax car shampoo? I have a bottle left but if its junk that'll remove the wax i can bin it and get some decent stuff.

So basically, I can wash it as normal providing i don't use too much pressure and providing the shampoo is PH neutral like the dodo juice?

#8 ·
tyusaf said:
Barney McGrew said:
Also make sure you use cold water so it doesn't melt / soften the wax.
Car panels in the sun get hotter than any water ever could. Cold water in your wash bucket just makes the process unpleasant... for me at least.
Yes but when there's hot sun on the car you're not rubbing it with a sponge and detergents etc.

Using cold water means the wax is kept solid while it's being washed. Using hot water is the quickest way to take the wax off the surface.

As for being unpleasant, you can always take a bubble bath with scented candles and whale music afterwards if you're little hands get cold ;)

#9 ·
Barney McGrew said:
tyusaf said:
Barney McGrew said:
Also make sure you use cold water so it doesn't melt / soften the wax.
Car panels in the sun get hotter than any water ever could. Cold water in your wash bucket just makes the process unpleasant... for me at least.
Yes but when there's hot sun on the car you're not rubbing it with a sponge and detergents etc.

Using cold water means the wax is kept solid while it's being washed. Using hot water is the quickest way to take the wax off the surface.

As for being unpleasant, you can always take a bubble bath with scented candles and whale music afterwards if you're little hands get cold ;)
I suffer from Raynaud's syndrome which REALLY hurts in cold water. As a result I use water on the warmer side but I've never had issues.

Your point does have merit though. I wouldn't go pouring a kettle over the panel and then scrub away like a mad man.

#10 ·
.Griff. said:
Your point does have merit though. I wouldn't go pouring a kettle over the panel and then scrub away like a mad man.
I think that's the point really.

Some people use properly hot water thinking it will help as it will melt any road grease etc. but it's also melting the wax coating.

The wink was to show I was being light hearted too in case that wasn't clear - I knew someone with Raynauds and they once had to run their hands under the hot tap on a cold day to try and get some circulation back. At one point only 2 fingers had any colour in the them and the others were pure white. Looked proper freaky, but they did say it can be really painful on cold days - I think they had heated gloves to help with it in winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.