Baby BMW Forum banner

Best liquid car wax?

8K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  fez_7 
#1 ·
Now that the weather is picking up I want to ensure my black car is nice and shiny. Basically I'm looking for a glossy showroom-look/mirror finish so I'm wondering what polish/wax do you guys use or recommend?

I'm not looking to spend too much and prefer to be able to buy something off the shelf instead of having to order online and wait for delivery.

I used the Simoniz stuff that comes in a gold tin last time. I admit it was good but it took ages to buff off so I'm thinking a liquid wax would be better this time. So something cheap, quick and easy to apply with a high-shine and long-lasting protection. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I have a decent sealent (finish kare 1000p) so top up after each wash with Autoglyms Aqua wax which brings up a nice shine. i guess you could seal before with Autoglyms Extra Gloss Protection to provide a good base.

Although the best wax I've used recently is bilthamber's double speed wax but that is really an online purchase.

#5 ·
Cheers guys! I looked into some of these spray waxes and was initially put off by them as they seem to be more for a temporary wax in between washes but now I'm leaning more towards them. Considering Meguiars as they seem to be good for black cars.

#7 ·
Hi, I don't have a black car anymore but have a bottle and a half of Poorboys Black Hole Glaze you are welcome to if you want it. I bought it for a beloved black 125i that I stupidly sold and is still miss to this day. It's a glaze not a wax so you need to put it on like a polish (light cover, let it haze then buff off then repeat for best results) then you need to wax or seal over it (I use Supernatural Hybrid now). Dead easy to use and gives a brilliant wet look. Needs a bit more time invested than just a spray wax but I guarantee that you will be well chuffed with yourself once you use this stuff. It was recommended to me by BlackRoc (see the detailing section for his brilliant tutorials) and I would rather see it used than wasted. It's a bit old school these days but still a good product in my eyes.

PM me a postal address if you want it.
Cheers

#8 ·
JohnnyR said:
Hi, I don't have a black car anymore but have a bottle and a half of Poorboys Black Hole Glaze you are welcome to if you want it. I bought it for a beloved black 125i that I stupidly sold and is still miss to this day. It's a glaze not a wax so you need to put it on like a polish (light cover, let it haze then buff off then repeat for best results) then you need to wax or seal over it (I use Supernatural Hybrid now). Dead easy to use and gives a brilliant wet look. Needs a bit more time invested than just a spray wax but I guarantee that you will be well chuffed with yourself once you use this stuff. It was recommended to me by BlackRoc (see the detailing section for his brilliant tutorials) and I would rather see it used than wasted. It's a bit old school these days but still a good product in my eyes.

PM me a postal address if you want it.
Cheers
Sounds great! Will PM you now, thanks a lot!

#9 ·

wipe on wipe off wax - and can even be applied onto a slightly wet car - no durability though.

The quick detailers mentioned above are just that - detailers - only useful for a quick wipe down.

#10 ·
Thanks again to JohnnyR for the Poorboys glaze, it's reviews seem fantastic. I was going to wax my car this weekend hence why I wanted something off the shelf but now I'm going to wait for the glaze to arrive so will probably top it off with Natty's blue liquid wax since it's fairly cheap and should be quicker to apply and remove compared to a paste, plus it's more durable than the sprays and contains carnauba.

#11 ·
RDowson said:
The best product I've used in years is Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. It's an aerosol spray 'wax' rather than a liquid but is increibly easy to apply, no buffing is required and it can last 12 months/100 washes!

It's genuinely brilliant, and I've used just about every product you can think of!

It's just out in the UK but has been out in the states for a while now.

Halfrauds sell it too!
I've looked into this a bit more actually and now I'm thinking of going for this instead. Mainly because it'll be so quick to apply after having spent my time glazing. What put me off initially is that it's an aerosol and doesn't contain carnauba but as it seems to be so durable and you still get the shine I think it could be a winner. Is it a sealant and a wax?

#13 ·
I carried out my first detail over the bank holiday so I thought I'd share some pics and leave a review of how I got on. It was all done by hand so it took me about 4 hours in total after washing the car first.

The products I used are:
Polish: Meguiar's Ultimate Compund
Glaze: Poorboys Black Hole (thanks to JohnnyR)
Sealant: Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

I worked on 1 panel at a time, applying all 3 of the above on the 1 panel before moving onto the next so I could see the difference compared to the rest of the car.

I firstly polished to get rid of some light scratches and swirls all over the car. This is a liquid polish and a micro-abrasive product which I chose for its ease of use. After using it it didn't appear to be so aggressive which I'm happy with. I used a foam applicator to apply it and then buffed it off with a microfibre. It was nice and easy to work with and it helped begin to bring out the shine of the metallic black sapphire paintwork.

I then applied the glaze. This was my first time using a glaze but it was again really easy to wipe on and buff off using another foam applicator and microfibre and it added a deep wet look and mirror-like finish which was quite impressive. It also has a pleasant bubblegum smell to it. :D As it's a glaze it filled the minor imperfections in my paintwork to make my car look like it had just left the showroom. I just wish I got to see my car under some proper lighting!

Finally, I applied the sealant as my LSP for protection and extra shine. As discussed previously in this thread, its an aerosol product so it felt a bit strange applying it. You spray onto the microfibre that comes with it and then wipe it onto the car so it was hard to tell how much I'd applied as you can't really see it. I made sure I covered each panel though and I then wiped back over it after flipping the cloth over to ensure an even coating. This was really easy and fast to apply (literally WOWO) but it was hard to tell how much extra shine it created since I had already polished and glazed the car. I'm hoping it seals these 2 products in for a few weeks though. My plan going forward will be to quickly apply this after each wash for shine and protection when I don't have time to glaze in between.

The paintwork was unbelievably slick after my first detail which made it all worth it. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take photos straight after as I had to pop out but here are some shots from the following day:

It slightly rained earlier today too so I got to see some beading:

#14 ·
RDowson said:
Exactly the same products I use!

I skipped the polish stage and just cleaned the paint with Black Hole followed by Fast Finish as my car is new and the paint condition is good but on an older car I would use Ultimate Compound too.

If you feel like going crazy you can add wax on top of the sealant for even more protection!
I'm loving the Meguair's range tbh! They're really easy to use, reasonably priced and you can pick them up off the shelf instead of having to wait for delivery. The Poorboys glaze was brilliant as well because you can use it in any weather and it smells amazing!

I didn't know you could put anything over the sealant. I doubt I'll be detailing again for a while now but for when I do you've tempted me to go crazy :lol2: especially since I won't be polishing it first next time.

I've decided on Poorboys Natty's Blue wax to complement my existing products but can't decide between the paste or liquid versions. I was originally put off paste waxes based on my last experience with the Simoniz stuff which was a nightmare to remove but apparently the PB paste is nice and easy to work with. Can anyone back this up? Alternatively I can just go for the liquid version but I'm not sure if this was intended to be applied by machine instead?

#15 ·
The simonize wax is probably one of the worst waxes out there :lol2: Lots of nicer waxes to choose from. Have a look at bilthamber finis wax or double speed wax. Collinite 915 or 476 are also cheap and a good shout. fk1000p is another cheap and good wax. Would be hard pressed to beat those for the money.

#17 ·
The main things I'm looking for are for it to be easy to apply and remove, a good long-lasting protection and a high level of shine (hence why I want a carnauba wax).

To be fair I have heard good things about that BH double speed wax, I just wasn't sure how easy it is to work with by hand.

#18 ·
Stupidly easy to work with its absolutely mega especially for the price bracket.

Obsession wax i think their called do some nice ones but we are talking 50 plus quid a tub.

You looked at the fusso coat 99 thats brilliant. Just apply a dressing/detailer on top like auto glanz velvet
fez_7 said:
The main things I'm looking for are for it to be easy to apply and remove, a good long-lasting protection and a high level of shine (hence why I want a carnauba wax).

To be fair I have heard good things about that BH double speed wax, I just wasn't sure how easy it is to work with by hand.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Joe77 said:
Stupidly easy to work with its absolutely mega especially for the price bracket.

Obsession wax i think their called do some nice ones but we are talking 50 plus quid a tub.

You looked at the fusso coat 99 thats brilliant. Just apply a dressing/detailer on top like auto glanz velvet
fez_7 said:

Price is also a factor actually and it will be my very last step product so BH may be the 1 to go for then.

#21 ·
With all waxes, a little goes a long way, and it's better to do 2 costs rather than slapping it on as its a nightmare to buff off.

Out of interest I was led to believe a sealant was best used on bare clean paint, i.e. Without any polish or glaze, to allow it to adhere properly.

I'd be interested to know if your Megs sealant holds up for more than a few weeks, as its gone on over the PB blackhole.

Sonax BSD is probably the best product out there for ease of use and short term protection. Use it to preserve all you hard work as part of your maintenance wash.

#22 ·
If your giving the car a full clay or decon

Id apply a prima amigo glaze or autofinesse glaze.

This make black paint look absolutely stunning.

Top that off with the dsw wax.

Inbetween washes top her up with a nice detailer ny preferred are autoglanz or the bsd sonax varients.

#23 ·
Definitely true i always give two light coats always works best.

With regards to applying sealants to bare paint that is very true.

However with something like fusso it doesnt really matter it lasts a good 4 months even with a primer in essence underneath
Jiggaman said:
With all waxes, a little goes a long way, and it's better to do 2 costs rather than slapping it on as its a nightmare to buff off.

Out of interest I was led to believe a sealant was best used on bare clean paint, i.e. Without any polish or glaze, to allow it to adhere properly.

I'd be interested to know if your Megs sealant holds up for more than a few weeks, as its gone on over the PB blackhole.

Sonax BSD is probably the best product out there for ease of use and short term protection. Use it to preserve all you hard work as part of your maintenance wash.

#24 ·
Jiggaman said:

There seems to be mixed reviews on this. Some agree it's best to use sealant on bare paint to allow it to bond but others argue it's better to use it after the glaze otherwise the glaze will wash off soon after.

I sealed last as I'm hoping it will help the glaze last a little longer but I'll try provide an update in a few weeks. It now makes sense though that applying wax afterwards will provide even longer protection.

#25 ·
Fez i think your mixing things up a little. Sealants should be used on bare paint unless the product your using is designed to go under a sealant otherwise it wont bond properly. You would not apply a glaze over a sealant, there is no point.

Britemax have a couple of good products - virtue - it fills, cuts and protects. This can be topped up with their EE 2.0 (Sealant) which gives much longer lasting protection. They are designed to work with each other. If you pick any glaze and put a sealant on top of it, it will not bond properly and wont last very long. Waxes on the other hand work better with an oily base that a glaze can provide and will last much longer over a glaze than a sealant would.

Hope this helps

#26 ·
Sam1er said:
Fez i think your mixing things up a little. Sealants should be used on bare paint unless the product your using is designed to go under a sealant otherwise it wont bond properly. You would not apply a glaze over a sealant, there is no point.

Britemax have a couple of good products - virtue - it fills, cuts and protects. This can be topped up with their EE 2.0 (Sealant) which gives much longer lasting protection. They are designed to work with each other. If you pick any glaze and put a sealant on top of it, it will not bond properly and wont last very long. Waxes on the other hand work better with an oily base that a glaze can provide and will last much longer over a glaze than a sealant would.

Hope this helps
This ^^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.