How to look after your paintwork

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Best liquid car wax?

Post by Joe77 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Chemical guys do a good liquid wax.

Try bilt hamber dsw thats freaking awesome for the price.

Or use sonax bsd detailer gives a mega shine.

Unfortunately most show waxes dont last long a month max

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fez_7 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm

The main things I’m looking for are for it to be easy to apply and remove, a good long-lasting protection and a high level of shine (hence why I want a carnauba wax).

To be fair I have heard good things about that BH double speed wax, I just wasn’t sure how easy it is to work with by hand.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Stupidly easy to work with its absolutely mega especially for the price bracket.

Obsession wax i think their called do some nice ones but we are talking 50 plus quid a tub.

You looked at the fusso coat 99 thats brilliant. Just apply a dressing/detailer on top like auto glanz velvet
fez_7 wrote:The main things I’m looking for are for it to be easy to apply and remove, a good long-lasting protection and a high level of shine (hence why I want a carnauba wax).

To be fair I have heard good things about that BH double speed wax, I just wasn’t sure how easy it is to work with by hand.

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Plus the fusso lasts a good 6 months

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fez_7 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:06 pm

Joe77 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:03 pm
Stupidly easy to work with its absolutely mega especially for the price bracket.

Obsession wax i think their called do some nice ones but we are talking 50 plus quid a tub.

You looked at the fusso coat 99 thats brilliant. Just apply a dressing/detailer on top like auto glanz velvet
fez_7 wrote:The main things I’m looking for are for it to be easy to apply and remove, a good long-lasting protection and a high level of shine (hence why I want a carnauba wax).

Price is also a factor actually and it will be my very last step product so BH may be the 1 to go for then.

Jiggaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jiggaman » Thu May 31, 2018 5:26 pm

With all waxes, a little goes a long way, and it's better to do 2 costs rather than slapping it on as its a nightmare to buff off.

Out of interest I was led to believe a sealant was best used on bare clean paint, i.e. Without any polish or glaze, to allow it to adhere properly.

I'd be interested to know if your Megs sealant holds up for more than a few weeks, as its gone on over the PB blackhole.

Sonax BSD is probably the best product out there for ease of use and short term protection. Use it to preserve all you hard work as part of your maintenance wash.
M235i Alpine White, HK, bum warmers, sun protect, high beam. M2 carbon interior, BMWP splitter, diffuser, spoiler, grills, MPE, BMS intake, TMC

Sadly gone - 130i Limited Edition with BMWP goodies.

E87 120d - PTorque remap: 210hp

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:26 pm

If your giving the car a full clay or decon

Id apply a prima amigo glaze or autofinesse glaze.

This make black paint look absolutely stunning.

Top that off with the dsw wax.

Inbetween washes top her up with a nice detailer ny preferred are autoglanz or the bsd sonax varients.

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:28 pm

Definitely true i always give two light coats always works best.

With regards to applying sealants to bare paint that is very true.

However with something like fusso it doesnt really matter it lasts a good 4 months even with a primer in essence underneath
Jiggaman wrote:With all waxes, a little goes a long way, and it's better to do 2 costs rather than slapping it on as its a nightmare to buff off.

Out of interest I was led to believe a sealant was best used on bare clean paint, i.e. Without any polish or glaze, to allow it to adhere properly.

I'd be interested to know if your Megs sealant holds up for more than a few weeks, as its gone on over the PB blackhole.

Sonax BSD is probably the best product out there for ease of use and short term protection. Use it to preserve all you hard work as part of your maintenance wash.

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fez_7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 am

Jiggaman wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:26 pm

There seems to be mixed reviews on this. Some agree it’s best to use sealant on bare paint to allow it to bond but others argue it’s better to use it after the glaze otherwise the glaze will wash off soon after.

I sealed last as I’m hoping it will help the glaze last a little longer but I’ll try provide an update in a few weeks. It now makes sense though that applying wax afterwards will provide even longer protection.

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam1er » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am

Fez i think your mixing things up a little. Sealants should be used on bare paint unless the product your using is designed to go under a sealant otherwise it wont bond properly. You would not apply a glaze over a sealant, there is no point.

Britemax have a couple of good products - virtue - it fills, cuts and protects. This can be topped up with their EE 2.0 (Sealant) which gives much longer lasting protection. They are designed to work with each other. If you pick any glaze and put a sealant on top of it, it will not bond properly and wont last very long. Waxes on the other hand work better with an oily base that a glaze can provide and will last much longer over a glaze than a sealant would.

Hope this helps
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

Jiggaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jiggaman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Sam1er wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am
Fez i think your mixing things up a little. Sealants should be used on bare paint unless the product your using is designed to go under a sealant otherwise it wont bond properly. You would not apply a glaze over a sealant, there is no point.

Britemax have a couple of good products - virtue - it fills, cuts and protects. This can be topped up with their EE 2.0 (Sealant) which gives much longer lasting protection. They are designed to work with each other. If you pick any glaze and put a sealant on top of it, it will not bond properly and wont last very long. Waxes on the other hand work better with an oily base that a glaze can provide and will last much longer over a glaze than a sealant would.

Hope this helps
This ^^^
M235i Alpine White, HK, bum warmers, sun protect, high beam. M2 carbon interior, BMWP splitter, diffuser, spoiler, grills, MPE, BMS intake, TMC

Sadly gone - 130i Limited Edition with BMWP goodies.

E87 120d - PTorque remap: 210hp

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fez_7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Sam1er wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am
Cheers Sam. This confused me but I’ve just read the following link to try and work out the best way to use the sealant I opted for. https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showt ... ast-Finish

Now I want to check if I’ve got this right for next time...

So if I’m just doing a basic wash I would just apply the sealant straight after the wash and that’s all.

If I’m wanting to detail then I would:
Polish if necessary
Glaze
Wax
Seal???

Meg’s say it can be used on top of a wax for extra protection or should I simply not bother using the sealant when detailing?

The reason I did it the way I did the first time was because they say it can also be used instead of wax, giving the following example:
“Show Car Detail: Wash, Clay if needed, Ultimate Compound if needed, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Fast Finish”
So I basically used Poorboys Black Hole instead of their Ultimate Polish and then used the sealant as my LSP instead of a wax but now I guess they just meant to use it with their own products instead of other brands?

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam1er » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:19 pm

fez_7 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Cheers Sam. This confused me but I’ve just read the following link to try and work out the best way to use the sealant I opted for. https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showt ... ast-Finish

Now I want to check if I’ve got this right for next time...

So if I’m just doing a basic wash I would just apply the sealant straight after the wash and that’s all.

If I’m wanting to detail then I would:
Polish if necessary
Glaze
Wax
Seal???

Meg’s say it can be used on top of a wax for extra protection or should I simply not bother using the sealant when detailing?

The reason I did it the way I did the first time was because they say it can also be used instead of wax, giving the following example:
“Show Car Detail: Wash, Clay if needed, Ultimate Compound if needed, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Fast Finish”
So I basically used Poorboys Black Hole instead of their Ultimate Polish and then used the sealant as my LSP instead of a wax but now I guess they just meant to use it with their own products instead of other brands?
If your doing a basic wash, yes you can apply a sealant straight after or even something like sonax bsd that adds some protection.

For a detail:
prewash
wash
de-iron/de-tar/clay
Polish
glaze (if required, polish should remove the need for a glaze unless you still have swirls you want to hide)
Wax

If you want to use a sealant then go polish then sealant and if you really want then wax on top of sealant, dont add a sealant on top of wax as it wont bond.

With regards to the meg's stuff, they may have been designed to work with each other, so they would work if the manufacturer has stated it (example of the britemax stuff i mentioned last time). But you couldnt mix products from different manufacturers and expect them to work the same way as they are most likely not designed to work with each other. This is true for sealants and glazes but for waxes and glazes any should work with any and i regularly mix products from different manufacturers.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Sam1er on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe77
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Joe77 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Wax and sealant are similar.

If you polish it theres absolutely no point in a glaze as you will have a perfect finish?

All a glaze does is fills the swirls which you shouldnt have if you have done a good polish.

However if you are on about using a AIO like super resin this acts as a glaze as well

So no need to use a glaze in any instance.

Give her a good polish apply some bilt hamber cleanser fluid then apply a good sealant. And top it off with some detailer or a wax of your choice

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam1er » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm

It sounds like he is doing it by hand, it would literally take forever to achieve a finish by hand that may not require the use of a glaze, but what he would be doing is removing a very small top layer of clear to help give a smoother finish but i doubt it would be a defect free finish as you are stating. Unless going down the machine polishing route, glazes are a good piece of kit and one i use alot especially when short of time.

Super resin will fill and is good at that but it dusts like mad especially with a bit of sun outside, there are such nicer products to use nowadays its surprising anyone still uses srp. Bilthamber cleanser polish for one. I must have about 10 different glazes at home that i like to try out every now and again. So i would disagree with the no need to use a glaze part. It all depends on what you have available to you and the time you have to do it in.

Oh and wax and sealants are not similar, they both protect the paint but their chemical make up is completely different. the way they can make the paint look can also be very different.

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”