Baby BMW Forum banner

Pre-Wash without pressure washer

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Blind Pugh 
#1 ·
Recent joiner to the forum and soon to collect my M140. I have dabbled in detailing before and very much know my routine and the importance of a good pre wash etc.

However, I have a lack of pressure washer at the moment and due to a new house move I am not willing to purchase one until all moved in (have enough stuff to lug around!)

my question is, what alternatives are there?

I've heard BH Auto foam is great and can be used with a hand sprayer, but does anyone have any ideas of what is good?

or any alternatives?

#2 ·
Others may not agree but a pressure washer is a must for me however I can appreciate why it's not feasible. Yet.

So what do you do instead?

You could use TFR in a pump sprayer instead.

You could use shampoo/snowfoam in a spray bottle with a foaming head.

You could use a "foam master" attachment on the end of a hosepipe.

You could even use a Worx Hydroshot.

But my question would be.. Then what? Let's imagine you get a nice covering of snow foam on the car. Merely hosing it back off again isn't exactly ideal without any pressure behind it to shift the dirt.

In all seriousness, if it was me, and I moved house less than a year ago so I know the struggle, I'd buy a pressure washer. What's one more box to move when you're probably moving dozens if not more anyway?

#4 ·
If you're using a pre wash, you need some water pressure to get the pre wash off and the dirt will come with it. If not, like for example a watering can or hose, then you'll find dirt still stuck to your car. More than if you used a pressure washer. (As griff said)

I don't have any access to water, so have ended up using a Worx Hydroshot drawing water from a watering can. Perfect for wheels, adequate for paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
Thanks all for the responses. I realise there isn't much of a replacement for a pressure washer. I guess a decent citrus degreaser or TFR could be of help but never a reaplcement.

I think I'll just go ahead and snag one now! It'll make the time prior to moving much easier to wash the m140 :eek:

#7 ·
Surely prevention is the best way.

Get a good layer of protection on it from the start (wax or sealant) and it should make cleaning easier until you get your hands on a pressure washer.

#8 ·
Jiggaman said:
Surely prevention is the best way.

Get a good layer of protection on it from the start (wax or sealant) and it should make cleaning easier until you get your hands on a pressure washer.
True! vey true.

My issue is I'm yet to receive the car (2 weeks or so) and I need to give it a good wash and decontamination to be able to give it a good protection :lol2: :lol2:

#9 ·
tyusaf said:
If you're using a pre wash, you need some water pressure to get the pre wash off and the dirt will come with it. If not, like for example a watering can or hose, then you'll find dirt still stuck to your car. More than if you used a pressure washer. (As griff said)

I don't have any access to water, so have ended up using a Worx Hydroshot drawing water from a watering can. Perfect for wheels, adequate for paint.
Where's/what best place/price for Worx Hydroshot ?

Looks like the answer for washing velux windows on side return and rear extension at the back of our house !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.