Baby BMW Forum banner

Very amateur detailer question!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rbarlow59877 
#1 ·
So ive decided to stop being lazy and start cleaning my car myslef. Im not aiming for a professionally detailed look but a very good DIY finish.

After reading up on the various threads here i bought myself a little starter bundle consisting of:
2x buckets
Microfiber drying towel
Microfiber cloths
Wash mit
Auto finesse citrus bug/grime remover
Auto finesse lather shampoo
Auto finesse tripple
Auto finesse (theme!) Tough coat.

So, is it ok to apply the tough coat after the tripple or would a wax be better i.e. dodo juice hybrid wax? Or even all 3?

Regarding general cleaning, would i use citrus, rinse, shampoo, rinse the use the wax or a spray wax for maintenance? Or use the hybridwax?

Is there anything essential that i haven't got then please let me know? I think i have bought the basics for a good job, so far I've only spent £60 ( thanks euro car parts 35% off code) so a few more quid won't break the bank. I dont have a pressure washer but do have a hose so i can run clean water over the citrus and shampoo, so snow foam is off the menu.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Ill have a bimble to homebase to grab a pump spary and have a look in halfords next door for the BH autofoam, if they don't have it ill amazon it, unless there is a decent off the shelf alternative?

So i guess the routine would be

Citrus spray
Rinse
Foam
Rinse
Wheels
Rinse
2 bucket wash
Rinse
Towel dry
AF triple
Tough coat
Wax

#5 ·
barneyrubble said:
I'd add a 3rd bucket for wheels only.

You'll also need a wheel cleaner product and also some wheel brushes of you want to do it close to properly.
Thanks for the reply. I have some unused paint brushes i can use on the wheels.
Any wheel product you would recommend? AF iron out or iron x are the two some friends have mentioned.

#6 ·
Bingers said:
barneyrubble said:
I'd add a 3rd bucket for wheels only.

You'll also need a wheel cleaner product and also some wheel brushes of you want to do it close to properly.
Thanks for the reply. I have some unused paint brushes i can use on the wheels.
Any wheel product you would recommend? AF iron out or iron x are the two some friends have mentioned.
I'd definitely recommend AutoFinesse Iron Out for the wheels if they're covered in heavy brake dust etc. Used in conjunction with their Imperial wheel cleaner makes for a great finish on the wheels! Just make sure you don't leave the Iron Out on for too long!

I've also bought a little blower from Amazon (link below) to get the water out of the wing mirror covers and also use it to dry the wheels, saves getting a microfiber incredibly dirty and blasts away the little pool of water you get at the bottom!

Happy detailing :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.