Baby BMW Forum banner

Steering wheel cleaning

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  doc_ab 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have advice for stopping the steering wheel from going shiny? Hasn't happened yet but its pretty common on BMW's
Also for cleaning it, I don't want to accidentally use something that's going to damage the material.

#5 ·
A suitably diluted citrus based APC (all purpose cleaner) applied with a micro fibre works wonders, I've also used a magic sponge and a bowl of warm water followed by a wipe over with a clean microfibre on a heavily soiled/shiny wheel, whatever you use don't go at it too aggressively as it's possible to remove the dye from the leather if you over do it, but it's unlikely you'll experience this.

#6 ·
There are two ways to ensure that your steering wheel retains that matt look: being scruplous with hand cleaning and aftercare, or buy a steering wheel cover.

Obviously, the former is a challange but probaby the easiest aftercare product to use is Dr Leather wipes, on a frequent basis. But if dirt builds up then (as above) use a warm, damp, soft, soappy microfibre. If you been a bit lax and find it requires a bit more agitation, use a leather brush, very gently.

Do not use any leather conditioners.

If you need to revive a dead wheel, then I had some success with the following method and materials

#10 ·
Octavius said:
You must have dirty hands.
Hahah just worried has it happened on my previous 1 series- It was used so I couldn't do anything about it but just wanted to prevent it from happening on this one. I do try my best to clean my hands especially in today's time with you know what! :cry:

#11 ·
I just tried the stuff from this video and worked like a charm.
Granted its quite expensive and other cheaper stuff probably works the same but decided on this because i can see it works well!

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.