Baby BMW Forum banner

6) Interiors, Finishing Touches and Equipment

17K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  leeshez 
#1 ·
So you've cleaned the outside, what about the inside?

Interior trims usually end up with all sorts of dirt and grime on them - but it doesn't have to take that long to sort these issues out either. Problems like the ones above can be sorted very easily with the right equipment -

-A good Hoover
-A good interior cleaner, one thats fabric / carpet safe
I use Autobrite FAB (-A good Interior Dressing
I use Auto Finesse Spritz (-Detailing brushes / nail brushes for dirt in seats or carpets
-Window cleaner
I use Auto Finesse Crystal (-Leather Care Wipes (I use leather care wipes)
-Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
I use Buffalo Cleaning products ( and Auto Finesse Leather Conditioner (
Leather can be cleaned very easily with the above products:

Struggling to remove a really ground in mark on leather or plastic? Use a magic sponge to remove it :wink: They really work!

And for all the nooks and crannies, I use a dedicated Interior duster from Monza Car care:

Chrome work around windows and Kick Plates can be cleaned with Auto Finesse Tripple:

Clean mats down with Autobrite Fab or a dedicated All Purpose Cleaner - leaves a great clean look:

Plastic trim fading around windows or bumpers?

Auto Finesse Revive is great:

Or Nanolex Trim dressing:

Before:

After:

Got polish or wax stuck in your badges or panel gaps? These detailing crevice tools are available from Waxybox and Juicy Detailing

Engine bays -

I use AutoGlym Engine bay cleaner - great on any metal greasy areas, and then I use Valet Pro citrus Power to clean up the rest of the plastics. Again detailing brushes are used to clean every nook and crannies - AF Revive used to dress the plastics, AF Tripple used for carbon Fibre and metal work:

Chrome and Tail pipes need cleaning? Auto Finesse Mercury is great:

This is not an exhaustive list of products - but I can assure you that they will look great on any car! :)

Most of the good products are available only online - 'walk in' car care product places are few and far between, and for most of us are limited to Halfords or B&Q (at a push) - look out for the 3for2 offers

So embrace the Internet - you can also pick up lots of bargains too!

Online quality shops:

Monza Car Care
Juicy Detailing
i4detailing
Polished Bliss
Elite Car Care
Shinerama
Waxybox
Waxamomo
Cleanyourcar
And of course, good old eBay!

See less See more
#4 ·
These cleaning posts are great, thank you very much for posting.

Just wondering what process to apply to the leather steering wheel on my mlite, is it the same as the seats?

thanks.

#6 ·
Nice one James, good tips :)

I do have a question though please.

I like to use a QD type spay on wax that I can use as I dry the car. Just to keep the wax topped up a bit if possible.
I've just bought what's available in Halfords so far. Just finished the second bottle I've bought.
The first one was WAY better, but can't remember what it was :(

Is there a product that I can use for this to 'wax it wet'

Or am I wasting my time doing this?

#7 ·
Evening Rob - the problem with some of these 'drying aid' products is that they can actually affect the wax and or sealant they sit over.

You also have the issue that they have far less ability at dealing with water / dirt than the wax or sealant they sit over.

They can be very expensive per application too.

Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer is what I believe would benefit you most. A QD product that wipes on / off so easily, leaves a stunning finish and has great water behaviour. It really is a very, very good product to apply to help maintain a wax protection too.

Slight different twist of a product for you is CarPro Hydro. A member on here is using it - you mix it with your hose sprayer, spray it over the car and it forms a sealant barrier over it. Not used it myself but it sounds ok..

#8 ·
That's great James, so I shall shop from some of that Sonax product.
It will be going on top of AG HD Wax to attempt to top it up and keep the water beading and stop muck sticking too much. I've been doing the wheels too, for the same reason, with the aim of easier cleaning.
On top of poor boys wheel sealer.

#10 ·
Blackroc said:
Yes the Sonax product can be used on wheels etc...and it's very, very good.

Smells like PinaColada too ha!

I'll send you the links and discount codes for it tomorrow fella:)
Cheers James :)

I was just off to google it!

#11 ·
There's some great advice on this website. I used to do a bit of detailing but was never really interested with the interior so thought I would buy some products.

Is autogylm interior shampoo good for all carpets and fabric seats?

I have just bought some Dr Leather wipes and autogylm leather cleaner. Will both these products be good to use on the seats? With the Dr Leather wipes, will these be good for the steering wheel, I wouldn't normally touch the wheel.

#12 ·
Sumner said:
There's some great advice on this website. I used to do a bit of detailing but was never really interested with the interior so thought I would buy some products.

Is autogylm interior shampoo good for all carpets and fabric seats?

I have just bought some Dr Leather wipes and autogylm leather cleaner. Will both these products be good to use on the seats? With the Dr Leather wipes, will these be good for the steering wheel, I wouldn't normally touch the wheel.
Welcome to the dark side ;-)

AG interior shampoo is great for seats, carpets, mats etc.. One of the best AG products they make to be fair. Assuming you haven't bought it yet, look up AutobriteFAB - similar product as the AG one, but is more versatile and can be used on dashes, door cards, interior trim etc..and works VERY well.

The Dr Leather wipes are very highly recommended, and will indeed keep your leather clean and looking good. You can use these (or the ABFAB) on your steering wheel with no issues :)

#15 ·
Blackroc said:

AG interior shampoo is great for seats, carpets, mats etc.. One of the best AG products they make to be fair. Assuming you haven't bought it yet, look up AutobriteFAB - similar product as the AG one, but is more versatile and can be used on dashes, door cards, interior trim etc..and works VERY well.

The Dr Leather wipes are very highly recommended, and will indeed keep your leather clean and looking good. You can use these (or the ABFAB) on your steering wheel with no issues :)
Thanks for the advice, yeh I have the shampoo already! I must of acquired it from my detailing days, found it searching through all my other stuff.

What are the best products for the dash? I normally just use APC diluted down and wiped with a clean cloth.

Anything else you would recommend for the interior?

#16 ·
Sumner said:
Blackroc said:

Thanks for the advice, yeh I have the shampoo already! I must of acquired it from my detailing days, found it searching through all my other stuff.

What are the best products for the dash? I normally just use APC diluted down and wiped with a clean cloth.

Anything else you would recommend for the interior?
APC is fine, Auto Finesse Verso is very good - I then use CarChem Clarity glass cleaner ( it contains polish too ) for dials, black gloss plastic trim, sat nav screens etc.. And then Auto Finesse Spritz to give the dash a new car finish on all the vinyl / dash areas

#19 ·
Sumner said:
Cleanyourcar have 3for2 on auto finesse products ATM so I might try out the spritz, possibly the revive too.

Can the revive be used on the standard Coupe diffuser?
IIRC - the plastic valance on the coupe is a gloss rather than flat Matt finish plastic?

If that's the case, Revive won't work on it because it will wash off the finished plastic unfortunately - it won't bond to it.

Try Satin - their tyre dressing if you are after filling the 3for2 list from AF.

#21 ·
Okay, so maybe the gheyest post ever... but is there anything out there that can replicate that 'New Car' smell?!!!!

I know the magic tree have a 'New Car' smell, but wondering if as a detailing guru you can advise on the best smell when valeting a cars interior?!!

Cheers, Dave

#22 ·
Any suggestions for the plastics on the doors, and also the sensatec seats?
My plastics seem to be lighter inside the "grain" and when I clean it, it looks ok, until it dries......
I've tried scrubbing it with a nail brush and a valeters brush too, nothing too stiff, looks fine until it dries.....
I have the AF spritz, but it's not having much effect either......
HEELLLLLLPPPPPP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.