Baby BMW Forum banner

Things to include in the detailing section

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  k3if 
#1 ·
As per the announcement, lets start the ball rolling with some suggestions -

Heres a few from me

1 - show and shine - monthly vote where we all vote on the car that's received the best attention and is looking good!

2 - Product feedback

3 - maybe a detailing meet where we can meet up and get some work done and swap info etc - or maybe a detailing day where we all pay a small fee and the money raised can be donated to a charity or something?

.......cmon over to you guys

#2 ·
Oddly, I was actually going to suggest this to you a little while ago Matt - I think its a fab idea!! I will bring my car along as a demo car for people to wow at (if they can find it).

(and yes, i know my crappy joke is wearing a bit thin now... i promise, thats the last time).

:D

#3 ·
hutters - good stuff - I will wait a few days and then try and round a few people up and get some plans up!

swissol (now swissvax) make some nice products indeed. I must admit I am a Zymol man myself - just become an authorised detailer and reseller so my products are mainly Zymol - however on machine work I use menzerna, 3M and sometimes sonus.

I really dont want to get into the swissvax / Zymol arguments with folk - they are both fantastic products, but for me Zymol was the choice. I do have some swissvax Best of show in my collection somewhere.

As with most things in detailing there are good products for different applications and types of paint and defect.

Perhaps if there are specific questions then i can give my opinion on what might be best suited? Just my opinion though and not gospel - Ive tended to form my own opinions after having tried the majority and settled on what gives me the results i want. why dont you post up some questions and we can get some opinion on them mate? :)

Andrew - glad you think its a good idea mate - will be glad to have you on board mate!

#4 ·
Just read the thread titled 'wash the 1er safely'.

Detail Matt, congratulations, the article has been so informative and extremely well written (and illustrated).

Can you please advise what can be done to rectify (or reduce) paint swirling other than your own extensive work.

Hints on polishing would be nice, as i dont think i have ever did a 'good' job of this task - i always feel somethings just not quite right, could look better.

Other than that, what more can i say, great work Matt.

#5 ·
Hi Tommy

thanks for the kind words mate - very good of you!

You can reduce the appearance slightly by using a product that contains a filling or masking agent. you can get some meguires synthetic sealant #21 iirc that can reduce the visibility, however any masking products only usually survive a few washes. There's a product called hand glaze by 3m from most paint shops that will again mask.

Try to stay away from commercial products like the colour magic types - not good at all.

Also klasse all-in-one will help reduce the severity but again these are all short lived measures mate, but may help you out a bit.

Matt

#6 ·
Matt.... great advice. I've been on a couple of car related forums over the years and I've NEVER read anything as well detailed or seen any photos with such great results.

How about a quick review of products that are readily available in the shops. I had a search for some of the products that you mentioned you use in another post and some of them are too *cough* expensive for the likes of me, but I would be interested in reading your opinions on some of the more affordable products.

Keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.