Baby BMW Forum banner

How Paint correction can be effective

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  benis130im 
#1 ·
I thought I'd post this up with a view to show you guys how effective paint correction can be - and no matter how bad the paint it can be improved

Background

Well I was asked to look at this car - Its a 2005 Ford mustang. It had an original owner from new in the US. It was then imported and briefly owned by a UK owner then bought by the current. The current owner is pretty switched on to car care and has always washed correctly. However The previous two had not really cared for it correctly - this became very apparent upon inspection.

Detail Requirements

The said owner just wanted the paint correction service carried out. He wanted the car to be rid of the swirls and scratches and wanted to be able to fill up at the petrol station without having to look at at horrendous marring!

The detail

I arrived at 0730 hours - set out my tools and equipment and took the car out for washing. I knew this car would be a challenge and wanted to get started asap.

First up - the wash. Usual procedure here, TBM, Megs Shampoo plus, dried with sonus towel.

With the car washed and dried I could get the lighting on and the inspection stage started - here's some brinkmann and halogen shots. You will notice the defects are a combination of bad swirling and lots of straight scratches.

Note the light dispersion as it is scattered out across the defects - you can hardly tell the twin filaments of the brinkmann apart as they just blur into one messy reflection

here's a better shot of the scratches

I set about taping up ( taking longer than normal due to the stripes) and then proceeded to take PTG readings. For a big American car the standard of paint application was very good indeed and pretty uniform throughout giving an average of around 125 microns top to toe.

I started by taping up sections on the bonnet so i could determine the best and safest method of correction.

Knowing the paint was soft i tried a sonus polishing pad on the makita graced with a small amount of menzerna FF and started to work in on speed 1 then then 2 then back down to one. This removed most of the swirls but 3 separate applications and passes were needed to get perfect.

I checked the PTG and approx 2 microns saw safe removal. Now at this stage i wanted to speed up the defect removal as I had a huge car in front of me. I switched pad to sonus light cut and stuck with FF - this brought it down to 2 passes. In the end it was the same pad dressed with Menz IP - working in at speed 1 then right up to 3.5 with mid to high pressure and one pass. Then down to 2 then one. This was good and very quick and again saw approx 2 micron removal. and some excellent clarity, however to perfect I passed with PC wearing megs polishing pad and FF.

I did some 50:50 shots too to highlight the effectiveness

Same procedure as above - i might add that the menz was working at its best today with the temp returning to a 10deg average - working in nicely and spreading like butter

The Next 2 shots show the area where i taped off a section, corrected half and then peeled the tape to show the contrast of a before and after giving a direct comparison and highlighting how effective it can be! :eek2:

I then completed the bonnet and took a few pics - calling the owner out at this point to demonstrate the finish that he could expect and to see if it was acceptable

I then dropped down and worked my way around the sides of the car - I found the swirling and scratching just as bad

again same procedure, however I found that following the final speed 1 pass a quick spritz with with LT on panel and not the regular pad, then another quick pass brought out great clarity and negated the need for the PC follow up.

I continued around the vehicle correcting the paint. I then cleaned the polish residue out of the paint using cleaner fluid on PC. Given the cars usage the owner wanted a durable finish so it was Klasse SG and collinite 476s as I would be retuning in a few months to apply Zymol Vintage (£1900 a pot) for summer.

I actually stopped a eight o'clock so a full twelve hours on just correction.

All in all a very rewarding day for me - I went through it all and at the end I felt I had achieved something and faced one of the hardest correction jobs a detailer could have to work on - soft gloss black. days like these can serve as a good tester and these jobs keep you hooked and coming back for more. The customer was impressed too which above all is the most important thing

Thanks for reading

Matt

See less See more
#5 ·
The thing is, how do you keep on top of it??

A good detail up my way is the best part of £4-500 quid, i wouldnt want to drive the car again after getting it back in that condition :lol2:

Do you give the customer advice on upkeep after your service (question in general) as i think it would be a good idea, although not in a business sense :lol2:

#6 ·
chewi said:
The thing is, how do you keep on top of it??

A good detail up my way is the best part of £4-500 quid, i wouldnt want to drive the car again after getting it back in that condition :lol2:

Do you give the customer advice on upkeep after your service (question in general) as i think it would be a good idea, although not in a business sense :lol2:
4-500 quid, i need to put m prices up!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.