Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Machine polishing

Post by Boombap » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm

rtorbs wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm
I'd probably get a das6 ...(same machine just 60 cheaper)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_519.html

Dual action do less damage because of the oscillating action but subsequently take more effort to cut

Orbitals are better but you can easily do more damage.

A cheap correction job is gonna cost you 500 quid at least so you can quickly save money by investing in the gear yourself but on the flip you can totally f**k your paintwork up too so you have to take extreme care, particularly on the bodywork creases where the paint is thinner.

Also you might want to invest in a digital paint thickness guage so you know what you're working with before you start should you decide to take the plunge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The PRO is more powerful (850w)

But if the standard is enough then go for it, although I haven't used it so can't comment.
2006 130i manual :)

rtorbs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rtorbs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Boombap wrote:
rtorbs wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm
I'd probably get a das6 ...(same machine just 60 cheaper)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... d_519.html

Dual action do less damage because of the oscillating action but subsequently take more effort to cut

Orbitals are better but you can easily do more damage.

A cheap correction job is gonna cost you 500 quid at least so you can quickly save money by investing in the gear yourself but on the flip you can totally f**k your paintwork up too so you have to take extreme care, particularly on the bodywork creases where the paint is thinner.

Also you might want to invest in a digital paint thickness guage so you know what you're working with before you start should you decide to take the plunge.

But if the standard is enough then go for it, although I haven't used it so can't comment.
No that was my bad, I meant to link the pro....it's £114

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Boombap wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Just bear in mind, the Pro doesnt support the smaller backing plates, whereas the standard does. Both very good machines.

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 pm

cadmunkey wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm
Boombap wrote:

Just bear in mind, the Pro doesnt support the smaller backing plates, whereas the standard does. Both very good machines.
Incorrect, the one I recommended comes with both 5" and 3" backing plates.

http://www.in2detailing.co.uk/das-6-pro ... isher.html
2006 130i manual :)

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Boombap wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 pm
cadmunkey wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm
Boombap wrote:

Incorrect, the one I recommended comes with both 5" and 3" backing plates.

http://www.in2detailing.co.uk/das-6-pro ... isher.html
Ah sorry it was the Pro plus I was thinking of. I made that mistake when I bought it as my first machine. Moved onto Rupes a while ago now.

glew08

Post by glew08 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Useful thread

richie7856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by richie7856 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am

Hi folks.

Even after having my car detailed a few weeks ago, in bright sunlight I can see lots of swirls.

I was convinced this was my fault even though I pressure rinse, snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash and rinse. Sometimes followed with quick detailing spray. I wash with an Angelwax mitt and dry using their big, thick towels.
Someone has said they think the swirls are due to the detailer using a rotary polisher??

They’ve pointed me in the direction of the Polished Bliss sight and said I could buy:

Kestrel DAS-6 or Kestrel Power Plus dual action polishers along with Flexipads DA microfibres cutting discs and Meguiar’s microfiber correction compound.

They said this should be good enough for the swirls, and me having never tried this, and I really can’t do any damage to the paint with this?

I don’t know anything and trust their advice but I always welcome more opinions :-o

Thanks

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am

A photo could be useful here Richie. When you say swirls do you mean micro-scratches in the paint or buffer trails? If its buffer trails then these have more than likely been done by the 'detailer' and need correction. Why not take it back and have a word with him if you paid him before shelling out on new kit?

richie7856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by richie7856 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi,

Having trouble getting a photo...and being able to post it :shock:
When you say buffer trails...that was something that was mentioned as well as swirls.

I should add that I had a protection detail rather than a paint correction if that matters?

And yes, the obvious thing is to speak to the guy :o but it was also still a question about the things mentioned as in the long term I guess I could save money. I've always been a bit scared of trying a machine polisher for fear of making a big mess.

I'm assuming the main thing is having the time to wash/clay it then use the machine. With working shifts I might be able to do a panel or 2 but then nothing for 3 or 4 days as I'll have the car to go to work.

Cheers

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam1er » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Theres nothing stopping you from doing 1 or 2 panels at a time. Not everyone will be able to spare a full day or 2 to get a car fully decontaminated and polished up. Iv heard of many people doing their cars this way. Just make sure you apply some wax or sealant after all the hard work :)

With regards to the detail, you need to see what was actually done on your car. are you sure it was machine polished? Some details do not involve machine polishing. Its best to speak to the detailer. The terminology used for different packages can vary from 1 detailer to the next. They may have details of their packages on their website or facebook, worth checking there to see what your detail involved.
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm

What protection was used as part of the package?
I'm a bit shocked that nothing was corrected before the protection was applied. If you now machine polish your car you will actually remove the protection you have paid for putting you right back at square one.

MrPocketRocket
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MrPocketRocket » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Halfords sell a rotary polisher which has decent reviews.. any good?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... r-polisher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW M140i - 5 Door - Coral Red Leather - Mineral Grey - M Performance Exhaust (Carbon Tips) - M Performance Side Decals - M Performance Grills - Front Silencer Delete - Carbon Front Splitter/Side Skirts/Side Mirrors/Rear Diffuser/Rear Spoiler

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam1er » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 pm

MrPocketRocket wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 pm
Halfords sell a rotary polisher which has decent reviews.. any good?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... r-polisher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like the das6. Its a da not a rotary
120d sport E87 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se E90 - Now gone also
330d se E91 - New work horse
645ci E64 Silver - play time

Return to “Cleaning & detailing your car”