Powder coat/painted wheels. Opinions?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Powder coat/painted wheels. Opinions?

Post by Nottnowcato » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I already posted this in the E8+ forum, but it's probably better suited to this one, so I've just pasted it over.
Mods, apologies if double-posting is against the rules, feel free to remove and give me a stern talking to.

So, I'm rocking a black 116i 3 door (E81? I'm never sure on the E numbers) and after seeing some very snazzy looking motors on here I'm thinking about going ultra-goth, and getting more black on there. (window tints, black grills, smoked rear lights etc) 
Fiscal matters prohibit new alloys, but there's a couple of wheel refurbishment places nearby that will powder coat for around £50 a corner. It's sitting on the basic 5-spoke jobbies (256s, I think?) so I'm pondering getting them sprayed up gloss black - or maybe even go mental and have a bright colour, you're only young once- but I can't decide if they'll look any good. So, what do you reckon people? Gimme your thoughts. Reckon they'll look alright? Has anyone actually done it on a set of 256s? If so, got any pictures? 
Assail me with your opinions, people. Come at me.

AndyBish135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Powder coat/painted wheels. Opinions?

Post by AndyBish135i » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Gloss Black with have the unfortunate side effect of making your tyres look permanently dirty/dull.
Much better (imho) to go for Anthracite :wink:

Have a look through the threads as I’m sure this has come up before and some pictures were shared 👍

My E82 on Medium Anthracite CSL Reps...

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Powder coat/painted wheels. Opinions?

Post by Nottnowcato » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm

That does look really nice against the black, I have to admit. I've seen a few pictures hunting through the forums, and the anthracite or gunmetal ones do look nice, but they're all much more interesting wheels than mine! I can't picture how mine are going to look. :)

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”