Cross climates.

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Torquey

Cross climates.

Post by Torquey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi, my 2015 135i , has tyre sizes front 225/40 zr 18 and rear 245/35zr 18. I had cross climates on my 330 d and really liked thembut Michelin do not supply a size that fits my rears only the fronts. Would 225/40 fit my rears?

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Cross climates.

Post by msej449 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Are you sure that cross-climates are the right sort of tyre for an M-Lite? I have them on my other car and I think they work well - but it's only a local runabout, 80BHP. I had a 330d xDrive Touring before my current M235i but the M-Lites, especially the 1 Series, are a very different beast. I think RWD 330 bhp needs as much traction as it can get and personally feel that the cross-climates give too much away against summers in summer and winters in winter. I'd concede it depends a lot how you drive your particular car, of course, nevertheless ...
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster+HGB; BMW M Performance LSD

Torquey

Post by Torquey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I should have said I was going to run them over the winter only as mpss tyres seem to get negative views on here in the winter. What other winter tyre options are there?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:02 pm

You should have 8" wide 436m rear wheels, and a 225/40/18 will fit perfectly.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Ah right. In which case I (again, personally) would always go the whole hog and choose a winter in winter. There's a cross-over point where, as temperatures rise and spring moves into summer, the cross-climates are 'less bad' than the winters, but well before that point, you would have changed to summers anyway.

I had Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II on my 330d, and have Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3 on the M235i. The Serie-II has the edge in dryer, warmer weather but loses out a bit in the snow. The S3 is excellent in snow and standing water/heavy rain, but not as good in warmer/dryer conditions. I went for the S3 as we drive to the Alps to ski a couple of times each winter so that suits me. It depends on your preferences.

There are loads of good winter tyre choices: I've also had Michelin and Vredestein on previous cars and theyve been excellent too. I'll let other people recommend what's worked for them.

If you anticipate encountering any snow, research your Owners Manual for the correct traction settings. No point in buying all this winter hardware and then not bothering with the right traction settings. It won't necessarily make a huge difference, but you might as well get it right.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster+HGB; BMW M Performance LSD

Torquey

Post by Torquey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:36 pm

I’m in West Sussex, so snow is rare although we had some last winter. Are mpss that bad in colder wet conditions?

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Torquey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:36 pm
I’m in West Sussex, so snow is rare although we had some last winter. Are mpss that bad in colder wet conditions?
No. :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Torquey wrote:
Yes. Unless you can get some heat into them. Fine on Track, useless on ice/slush/snow.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:35 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:09 pm
Torquey wrote:
Yes. Unless you can get some heat into them. Fine on Track, useless on ice/slush/snow.
This!!! They need heat, otherwise they are pretty woeful. I was also considering CC's 225 40 18 all round. But now considering Conti Winter Contact 850p and going 235 40 18 on the rears.
F22 67 M240i Mineral Grey....Birds B2 Suspension....M Performance Kit
E91 59 335d Space Grey....Remapped by Simon @ emaps 350 BHP (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

wobs

Post by wobs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Each to their own with CCs. I ran them on my Golf 7R and 435D and they worked well in heavy snow last year. My mrs has 850p's on her M140 for winter and I've just ordered CC's for my newish M140. I'll only use them from November to March - ish; not all year round.

My reasoning is that here in SW England we get the odd cold snap, the occasional warmish day and very rare snow. I found the 850p's can go off a bit when the temps above 8-10 degrees and on a longer run but are undoubtedly better than CC's at colder temps.

To me the CC's are just a lot more consistent over a wider range of temps and more suitable to our climate. If I went skiing regularly or lived in the Alps I'd get full winter.

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

wobs wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:15 pm
Each to their own with CCs. I ran them on my Golf 7R and 435D and they worked well in heavy snow last year. My mrs has 850p's on her M140 for winter and I've just ordered CC's for my newish M140. I'll only use them from November to March - ish; not all year round.

My reasoning is that here in SW England we get the odd cold snap, the occasional warmish day and very rare snow. I found the 850p's can go off a bit when the temps above 8-10 degrees and on a longer run but are undoubtedly better than CC's at colder temps.

To me the CC's are just a lot more consistent over a wider range of temps and more suitable to our climate. If I went skiing regularly or lived in the Alps I'd get full winter.

This was the reason I was thinking of of CC's too, whilst I think msej449 has a perfectly valid point in which I respect, I struggle to agree that a full winter tyre will outperform a CC when the temps are a bit higher....dry or wet. There are often days through winters these days when temps can be double figures, I have run full winters before on my 325ti and whilst they were amazing, on the warmer days they struggled. I have emailed Michelin for advice regarding the CC's on a high powered vehicle but heard nothing back.

wobs

Post by wobs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 pm

racey1979 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

This was the reason I was thinking of of CC's too, whilst I think msej449 has a perfectly valid point in which I respect, I struggle to agree that a full winter tyre will outperform a CC when the temps are a bit higher....dry or wet. There are often days through winters these days when temps can be double figures, I have run full winters before on my 325ti and whilst they were amazing, on the warmer days they struggled. I have emailed Michelin for advice regarding the CC's on a high powered vehicle but heard nothing back.
Both the 225 and 235/40R18 CC are Y rated so means up to 186 mph which would seem to indicate they're pitched at higher performance cars.
Same size Conti 850p labelled V, up to 149mph. Not sure how much attention should be paid to these though in terms of suitability for higher powered cars but any car that can get to these sort of speeds must have more than a few horsepower under the bonnet. :) :)

Didn't bother my wife in her Conti shod 140 as she says she doesn't often go over 150 :D

I'd be interested to hear what Michelin have to say.

racey1979
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by racey1979 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm

wobs wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 pm
racey1979 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Both the 225 and 235/40R18 CC are Y rated so means up to 186 mph which would seem to indicate they're pitched at higher performance cars.
Same size Conti 850p labelled V, up to 149mph. Not sure how much attention should be paid to these though in terms of suitability for higher powered cars but any car that can get to these sort of speeds must have more than a few horsepower under the bonnet. :) :)

Didn't bother my wife in her Conti shod 140 as she says she doesn't often go over 150 :D

I'd be interested to hear what Michelin have to say.
I finally got a reply from Michelin, in a nutshell they say the Cross Climates are suitable for fitting on an m240i, but would recommend the Pilot Alpin PA4 full winter....

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Customer Care.

Regarding your query about the appropriate tyres to use during this winter for your vehicle with the following details;

BMW

M 240i

3.0 T 340

With tyre dimensions for winter: 225/ 40/ R18

We would first like to tell you that we do not have MICHELIN winter tyres with the stark marking (BMW-approved marking). We advise you to confirm with BMW that it is ok with your warranty and vehicle specifications to use tyres WITHOUT the star-marking.
For the same vehicle specifications that you have given us, it could be an xDrive vehicle or not. If it is the xDrive, you would definitely need the star-marked tyres.

About the specific question about your high powered car using the MICHELIN Crossclimate+ tyres or MICHELIN Pilot Alpin tyres, we always recommend the Pilot Alpin for high performance vehicles. That being said, both tyres are suitable for the vehicle.

Although you mention that you do not undergo rough winters, for these types of cars it's always best to use the two sets of tyres (winter and summer) to keep your car to its maximum performance. In winter it might not matter that much but I am pretty sure that you want to use the 340bhp during summer!

To sum it up, both are suitable but we recommend for the best driving experience and most usage out of the tyres the MICHELIN Pilot Alpin PA4 tyre.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”