Will it be a better ride?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

megannibbles

Will it be a better ride?

Post by megannibbles » Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi everyone
I have a 118d m-sport convertible with run flats all round. I want to change the wheel colour to gloss black. My dilemma is the tyres currently on my car are like new but feel every bump in the road as if i am driving on solid rubber. I know an m-sport is a harder ride but will non run flats make much of a difference in a smoother ride style?
I am either going to get new gloss black wheels with non run flats if there is a real difference or if people with experience of m-sport tyres tell me there would be not much to gain by replacing the tyres i will get my current wheels powder coated are stick with the run flats.
Looking forward to anyone's experience/opinions.

CiscoH
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Will it be a better ride?

Post by CiscoH » Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Getting rid of run craps will definitely greatly improve the comfort. Best thing I ever done on my E82 was get rid of the rft.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Runcraps are the devils' work, nasty rock-solid things.

Proper tyres will be much more compliant, some more than others. Uniroyal Rainsport's and Goodyear Asym 3's are both very comfortable, even in the XL load index (92+) you'll need.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Leaping Lumbago

Post by Leaping Lumbago » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:13 am

Just a point, but with no spare tyre in the boot, what is the plan is a non run flat tyre goes down?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 am

M-Lites comes with proper tyres as standard, plus a Mobility Kit. Can of latex goop and a compressor. Holts Tyre Weld is a very similar solution in an aerosol can.

What do you do currently, seeing as (from bitter experience) you can't drive far on a punctured Runcrap?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Leaping Lumbago

Post by Leaping Lumbago » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 am

I have all run flats on mine. Only had a one off puncture which occurred when I buckled an alloy. Seemed to just let the air out as it pumped up again fine. But it meant I could drive it to the local petrol station where they had an air pump. Have a tyre inflator in the car now and breakdown cover so maybe they’re no longer necessary...

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:04 am

When I have my winters on (non-runflat) I simply keep one of my summers in the boot with a jack kit in case of a puncture. Pain if you need to use the boot though.

In terms of comfort, the non-runflats are definitely softer and a nicer ride, but I don't agree with comments above that make them sound like you're suddenly driving on a bed of air. It's definitely an improvement, but a marginal one and a 'nice to have', nothing amazing. I still have my original run-flats on the car (at 21k miles now) and wouldn't change them just for the sake of comfort.

A caveat to this is the type of driving you do. Mine is 80-90% motorway, so maybe that's why the difference feels marginal to me. If you do a lot of driving on bumpy country roads, the difference may be felt more.
2017 M140i

megannibbles

Post by megannibbles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I plan to get a space saver plus jack and tool kit for the boot but i normally only travel very short distances on poor roads and have RAC cover. Had my wheels refurbished gloss black last Thursday so the tyre fitters refused to change to my new tyres for a couple of weeks for the powder coating to fully cure.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”