Mixing MPSS with PS4 rears, not sure it works!!

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

Rarebit
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Mixing MPSS with PS4 rears, not sure it works!!

Post by Rarebit » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:30 pm

nastypoker wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:26 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 am
it was chucking it down last night and it never lost traction once even though I was giving it the full beans, in the wet!!
Really? I am currently running brand new PS4's on the front and very worn PSS on the rear and am looking forward to fitting the PS4's to the rear after this. I have no end of traction issues in the wet, even with the LSD but I still find it hard to believe they will not lose traction if using full throttle in the wet.
I just tested this for you :lol: 2nd, 2500 rpm, foot hard down in wet to damp conditions and although I could feel the car squirming the traction light did not flash once!
2016 M140i - Melbourne Red + BMWP
2013 M135i - rejected
2007 130i LE - gone
2002 316ti

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:56 am

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:45 am
Not all '92's are the same stiffness by a long shot, although it's a reasonable guide within the exact same tyre (you would expect an 88 PS4 be softer than a 92 PS4 in the same size).

An 88 semi slick will be significantly stiffer than a 94 Uniroyal, for example. You can't compare MPSS and PS4 directly, completely different carcasses.
Marco, I’m up at BMW later today and need to order the front PS4. Should I ask for 92y or stick with the 88y that the MPSS are?

TIA
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 am

I'd definitely be going 92.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks, will see if I can get them to price match Blackcircles again who have them at £206 fitted for 2.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

nastypoker
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by nastypoker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:10 pm

So I went from MPSS all round to MPS4 on the front for 2k miles and then finally swapped the rears to MPS4 as well. I am definitely not as pleased with the stability at speed on back roads compared to the MPSS. There is definitely more wobble in the dry and doesn't give me the same confidence as the MPSS. In the wet, these new MPS4's are in a different league to my old worn MPSS though which was to be expected.

Next on this list is some powerflex bush inserts to help the rear settle down a bit. Already got the underbody brace and coilovers.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 LCA's - 245's all round - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Ceramic coated

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 pm

nastypoker wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:10 pm
So I went from MPSS all round to MPS4 on the front for 2k miles and then finally swapped the rears to MPS4 as well. I am definitely not as pleased with the stability at speed on back roads compared to the MPSS. There is definitely more wobble in the dry and doesn't give me the same confidence as the MPSS. In the wet, these new MPS4's are in a different league to my old worn MPSS though which was to be expected.

Next on this list is some powerflex bush inserts to help the rear settle down a bit. Already got the underbody brace and coilovers.
The PS4 are going on the front next Wed so we'll see what it's like after that.

Have you tried putting more PSI in them to stiffen up the sidewalls, that might help?

I do know what you mean in terms of "wobble", but I'll review once I have PS4 all round and have tried different pressures. I'm sure the wet weather performance over winter will make up for it.

I am slightly worried now though about whether I should have just gone for MPSS again.

nastypoker
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by nastypoker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 pm

With winter coming up and all the positive reviews about the PS4's, I thought it was a wise choice as I had plenty of "moments" in the wet. TC really doing its job.

I haven't tried increasing the pressure much yet but it is all part of the plan over the next week.
2016 M135i LCI F20

BMW M Perf LSD - M4 LCA's - 245's all round - B12 Pro Kit - Underbody brace - PCW Zorst - Eton/JBL sound - Ceramic coated

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Had the front PS4 fitted this week and so far it's certainly a lot better than it was. :)

I'll let them bed in for a few weeks, but hopefully all is well now. Still slightly weaving at high speeds but nothing dangerous or that makes me worry. In general they feel fine though.

Rarebit
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Rarebit » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 pm

nastypoker wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Mine felt a bit jelly like when I 1st got them, but seemed to have settled down quite a bit. I'm running 34psi all round
2016 M140i - Melbourne Red + BMWP
2013 M135i - rejected
2007 130i LE - gone
2002 316ti

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”