Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

Hohay

Re: Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Post by Hohay » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am

potassium wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm
martin10chk wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 pm
Going in for a set of these on Friday….
Interested what you think of these with the MP LSD.

For me a week in, and now rain tested as well, I can surmise that they are grippy as hell in the dry and for some reason are also driving like they are dry when wet.

The last few days of rain have allowed me to try them out cold, and then warmed up. Trying to figure out their limits at low speeds, I tried to see if the squirm of cold MPSS was still there, but I am surprised that all weekend, I ended up moving the settings to sport plus or DSC off, and could not induce the orange traction light. I was not aggressive I guess, owing to my experience of MPSS which held back my right foot in a sort of memory effect way. But then it was a public road too, so was not pushing it through the floor.

Commute on motorways in wet was the same, like its dry and no difference even with sport plus.

Added tyre wear below which looks a bit iffy as some readings are low. Could just be me and my fat hands trying to get under the arches, but will keep updating it, and give further tyre reviews.

Goodyear Eagle F1 SS Tyre Wear:
Hi, any update on the tyre wear now you have had the tyres for a bit

robern2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by robern2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Getting mine fitted next weekend.
White 2016 M135i, auto, DMS map, ACS springs, Superpro camber bushes, chassis brace, spacers, VRSF charge pipe, Remus

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Whilst not directly relevant to you F20 owners, I had them fitted on my Alpine A110, and have done 1000 miles and 2 trackdays with them.
They are bloody astounding. All the grip I am used to from my MPSS but the wet grip is just on another level. As others have said, at a decent pace
they feel as grippy as they do in the dry. And importantly despite some proper lappage at Bedford the tread-blocks look fine. According to Goodyear
these F1 SS come into their own when warm, where as most tyres fall off a cliff.
"I don't work in the showroom so please always email me TRLdeals@outlook.com
Current Company Wagons - BMW G20 M340 Mineral White, and F40 M135i in Storm Bay … Current Personal Car; Alpine A110 Pure

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am

TRL wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 pm
Whilst not directly relevant to you F20 owners, I had them fitted on my Alpine A110, and have done 1000 miles and 2 trackdays with them.
Any chance of a quick A110 review please Tony? Why do they tickle your pickle? I enquiried about discount over at Orpington but they were insisting everyone pays list price.

Did you test drive a 718 too, having a similar recipe?

:drive:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Howdy Everyone

I have been reluctant to post up as I feared sounding like a madman, but seeing as TRL has confirmed it, I shall summarise...BEST TYRES EVER.

I'm struggling to lose traction in them when warm and I have tried. I can induce wheel spin when cold or wet but that’s pushing it. I now drive around in Sport Plus with more confidence. Biggest thing is the wet performance - the MPSS were skittish in rain, but the F1SS in the recent weeks torrential rain I drove like it was dry. This is at speed limit on a motorway where skittish traction or standing water mean you feel the effects of rain a lot more - I felt nothing.

Only thing is that the rears are wearing down more than MPSS (by my estimation).

my current tread depth is in the table below, as I am now using fixed points to measure so don’t have the starting tread, but I estimate a loss of 10% front and 25% rear :?: But as I will be changing up at about 3mm in reality is this 20% loss front and 45% loss rear ? Dunno - this is if I started at 7.5 centres and 7.0 sides.

Is it worth the grip and confidence over the wear? Yeah it is, because the cars for driving. If you got this car to save money by doing 25k+ miles on tyres you should have got a more efficient car too.

I have been a Michelin man (in body size and tyres) for many years, and this was down to trying lots of different tyres not just a blind commitment. But this has changed my view.

Anyway, I’m happy and will just carry on enjoying the driving experience.

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am
TRL wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 pm
Any chance of a quick A110 review please Tony? Why do they tickle your pickle? I enquiried about discount over at Orpington but they were insisting everyone pays list price.

Did you test drive a 718 too, having a similar recipe?

:drive:
Not sure I can post a review of the A110 on here mate - might get struck off!
Got mine from Orpington and yep, it was full price. Damn that hurts when you have been selling cars for 20 plus years!
Did not try the 718 tbh, worked for Porsche back in the day and have a genuine soft spot, but there is something about them not having a 6 cylinder
anymore.... erm… did I just write that??? :shock:
And having owned so many Renaultsports over the last 2 decades, there was something exotic about the Alpine that just got me.
"I don't work in the showroom so please always email me TRLdeals@outlook.com
Current Company Wagons - BMW G20 M340 Mineral White, and F40 M135i in Storm Bay … Current Personal Car; Alpine A110 Pure

Hohay

Post by Hohay » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Do sound a good tyre but if you are saying 45% wear from 3k miles, that’s only around 7k for a new set. Most tyre review places have them way down for wear. I like grip but not sure I could justify a new set every 7k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeh 7k out of rears would be crap. But I’m reckoning my calculations are also crap.

I had an M5 where I was getting 12-15k per rears with Michelin PS2 but they too were the best tyre at the time and I lived with it for the fun I was having.

We shall see - I shall keep tracking it.

Hohay

Post by Hohay » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

also if you look on here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... rSport.htm

they scored the F1SS as the best in class tyre in their test, but if you look at the review scoring it only gets 20% for wear.

The Asy 5's get a similar score but much better wear

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... tric-5.htm

with the PS4's getting lower scores for most areas

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... port-4.htm

lloyd

Post by lloyd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Goodyear have a promotion on during October and November - £80 Amazon/John Lewis voucher if you buy 4x18" tyres.

My local HiQ are doing the Supersports fitted for £470. Factor in the voucher and it's a bargain.

I think the A5s are included in the offer as well.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/ ... page1.html

robern2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by robern2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:00 am

Just had mine fitted so too early for feedback but despite being the same size the tyres are noticeably wider than my PSS due to a great rim protection area.
White 2016 M135i, auto, DMS map, ACS springs, Superpro camber bushes, chassis brace, spacers, VRSF charge pipe, Remus

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”