Time for my Winters - Tyre treatment?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Time for my Winters - Tyre treatment?

Post by GeeDee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:29 pm

It's getting cold down south and time for my winters now on their 4th year.

Whilst I appreciate new tyres should be gently scrubbed in for 100 miles or so, last year, I had very little grip for quite a while which I assume was caused by the rubber surface hardening a little.

Just wondering if anyone has tried sandpapering or other treatment on their tyres before refitting.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

nivens
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Time for my Winters - Tyre treatment?

Post by nivens » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:53 pm

How old are the tyres? I think winter tyres seem to be susceptible to 'going off', my last set were utterly useless in the rain by the 4th winter but still pretty capable in the snow. I'm sure the rubber was about 6 year old based on the production date when I checked.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit

Iain.m

Post by Iain.m » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:08 am

Nothing you can do to the surface that will help. They should be alright in their 4th year...unless (for example) you left them on too long & cooked them in the hot weather last summer!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Definitely not "cooked" - I tend to go from November to Easter subject to weather conditions.

Tyres are 4415 so, effectively brand new when i bought them Nov 15. I was expecting the tread to have hardened but it still seems quite pliable.

It's just that I'm not sure I want to trust them.

Considering getting some cross climates for the relatively mild winter conditions down't south.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Put my 3 year old Pirelli Sottozeros on this weekend. Huge amounts more grip straight from the off and straight from cold (temps have been hovering around zero here). I store mine covered (just a couple of removal firm blankets) over the summer. They don't seem to have deteriorated at all. So what make of tyres and how are you storing them OP?
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 pm

They're Dunlop Winter Sport 5s which I think were second on the Winter Tyres reviews back in 2015.

They're stored stacked on each other, with carpet in between, in a detached garage.

After slip sliding my way out this morning, I'm going to give them a go with fingers crossed and maybe an egg on the throttle pedal. Might even leave grannie connected initially.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:47 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 pm
They're Dunlop Winter Sport 5s which I think were second on the Winter Tyres reviews back in 2015.

They're stored stacked on each other, with carpet in between, in a detached garage.

After slip sliding my way out this morning, I'm going to give them a go with fingers crossed and maybe an egg on the throttle pedal. Might even leave grannie connected initially.
Those are great tyres. They should be fine. So a bit of a mystery. Think I would be tempted when its dry to drive them quite hard and see whether they do need scrubbing up again having been left. I can't think why. The normal scrubbing up is to do with the release compound / storage gunk on new tyres I thought. So why used ones should need it who knows. I can only report as I find. Mine are giving more grip at the moment than the summer tyres I took off (Goodyear F1 Supersports) which in turn were way better than the part worn MPSS they replaced. I just have a lot more confidence in winters on a cold damp morning.
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Rubber does actually oxidise (harden and crack) with exposure to O3 and O2. O3 (ozone) is quite reactive stuff.

Fingers crossed they'll only be a thin layer of hardened rubber to machine away.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks MP. That's why I was suggesting some sort of sanding treatment to help remove any hardening.

They're on now and a test drive proved fine although it was the greasy conditions you get on damp roads which had been treated which was the main problem last year.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”