E82 125i Coupe - Goodyear F1 Supersports

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E82 125i Coupe - Goodyear F1 Supersports

Post by CoupeSilver »

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:52 pm
Weird question of the day, where are they made please? Should say on the tyre wall somewhere.
I don't know about all four, but I happen to notice one said Germany. I only remember because I've always thought of Goodyear as a US brand and so i was surprised.

Also the pictures have reminded me of another difference i've noticed from the previous tyres, though it's nothing to do with them being non runflats. They pick up a lot of stuff off the road, it sometimes gets thrown off and hits the inside of the wheel wells. First time i heard it i thought maybe the valve cap or something had fallen off. So obviously this is a much softer compound than the runflats.
Last edited by CoupeSilver on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

Ace, thank thank you.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:58 pm
Ace, thank thank you.
No probs. Why did you want to know.. you got me curious now :)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

My last Goodyears were made in Slovenia, just curiosity.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm
My last Goodyears were made in Slovenia, just curiosity.
Interesting. I've never consciously thought about where tyres are actually produced. I've just always thought of brands being French, German etc I guess I've always assumed tyres were made in the country of the brand.

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

Thanks for the pics!

Wow Goodyear are still being well stingey on the rim protection vs the old AS/AS2

The extra rubber tapering to the deeper protection also gave the tyres a more angled sidewall look which can look preferable too.

Hmmmm

I look forward to your updates on the way they feel etc!
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Mr Whippy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 pm
Thanks for the pics!

Wow Goodyear are still being well stingey on the rim protection vs the old AS/AS2

The extra rubber tapering to the deeper protection also gave the tyres a more angled sidewall look which can look preferable too.

Hmmmm

I look forward to your updates on the way they feel etc!
Question you should probably be asking yourself though is, what other choices are there? The reviews are all saying the F1 supersports are on par with the conti 6 and PS4S and neither are available at 18". All the 18" tyres available are compromised in comparison if your aim is the best sports tyre for the road. By the way tyrereviews did an interesting direct comparison between the Asym 5 and supersports, and if i recall correctly they mentioned how the asym 5 were an improvement on previous asyms re sharpness, and the supersports are sharper again. The reviewer is going to be far more experienced than most, so definitely far better off listening to his opinion of the tyres than mine :D

asym 3 vs 5:

asym 5 vs supersport:

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

I’m probably gonna go with PS4 as I don’t really need the grip so much as the subjective ‘feel’ quality.

Goodyear have lost my confidence since the Asym3.

I’m not really gonna take a chance again while they continue to skimp on the sidewall rigidity and rim protection.

It’d be cool to see an AS2 vs AS5/SS test!
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Given that AS2 is no longer produced, that test will never happen. The best you'll get is to find an AS2 v AS3 test and then extrapolate that result to the AS3 v AS5 (and then the comparision between AS5 and SS). Given that the reviews clearly show that SS is sharper handlng (which probably means has a stiffer carcass) than the AS5 and that the AS5 is sharper again than the AS3. In otherwords i think there's already enough information available to the AS5 and SS are going to be less "soggy".

If you're considering the PS4, which some people have complained about having slightly soft sidewalls, if i were you i'd be looking for a comparison between PS4 and AS5. Remember the SS is on par with the PS4S which is reviewed as being sharper than the PS4.

It's hard. I read so much about different tyres my head started to spin when i was looking for a replacement for my RFTs. I was leaning towards the MPSS purely because of their handling/dry grip reviews, but the reports of them being poor(ish) in cold/wet conditions made me delay. I really wanted the PS4S but they didnt come in 18. Then i saw a review of the Contipremium 6 and i was going to go with them because they were sharper handling than the PS4, but they don't come in 245/35 18 rear, and i didnt want to change size. So when GY released the AS5 and SS and they started getting good reviews, my choice came down to whether i would get the AS5 or SS. When the SS reviewed as being on par with the PS4S my mind was made up.

So far I'm glad I went the SS route. Would i have been happy with AS5, possibly depends on just how much softer responding they are than the SS. At this time the SS are feeling great though.

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Did an airport run on Sunday, so 50 miles of 50-60mph A road/motorway (congested). Tyres continue to feel good, lane changes are quick enough for me at these speeds. Managed to get an average of 30mpg on the onboard computer which is about 3mpg higher than I ever had on the RFTs on similar roads. I'm now wondering if the tyres are a touch overinflated. I'm begining to think the fronts at least may be 1-2 PSI too high as they feel simlilar to when a garage put 2 PSI too much in my tyres one time. A little "bouncy" is the only way to describe it, like when you push down on a party balloon, (but not nearly that much obviously).

On the way to work today it was wet. There is one particular mini roundabout which if i gave a prod of the throttle (about 1/4 throttle only) on in the wet, (with drivers rear going over the painted bit in the centre), wtih the RFTs the traction control would flicker. Did that today and not a peep. Back end felt sold and just accelerated out of the turn. So massive improvement (not unsurprisingly) in grip in the wet. 7 deg C.

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

Yeah going on tyre reviews is impossible.

Only real test is throw them on and see.

I’ve still got tweaks to make to my car before I can judge the tyres too harshly.
Mainly a load of new bushings or M bushings to tighten it all up.

My Z4 felt fine on Asym3 (8” front wheels only difference) at same pressures and similar loadings.
Similar rack speed too.

Obviously steering response is a combination of the tyre and suspension... so I think I can get my chassis side of things better first for my tastes.

It’d be cool if you could rent tyres or something for an afternoon just to get a feel.
Of all the things we can buy for a car, they’re expensive and you can’t try before you buy!

A bit like suspension I suppose. Even Birds kit you’re getting chauffeured which is daft.

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

As a test, I dropped the fronts to 33 PSI yesterday. A touch of that "balloon" feeling the front had is gone. Front feels a bit more connected to the road now. Not that it was bad in anyway on 34 (was a massive improvement on the RFTs), it's just a tiny bit less springy. Can't sense any change in steering speed or response at town speeds. Going to leave it like this for the weekend as i'm due to do an A1 run and I'm interested to see if there's any impact on the MPG i get on the computer.

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Did some A road driving last weekend speeds generally between 40 and 60 and was shocked to see the onboard computer showing 34mpg over the 45 odd miles of the round trip. I had reset the MPG before setting off as well as making sure my tyres were at 33 and 36 PSI. That's a record in this car. Now I know some of it's down to the fact that the tyres are new so the cirucmference of the wheels is slightly larger than the part worn old tyres. Plus the fronts are now 225/40's rather than 215/40s so have a further 4mm greater sidewall hight and so even greater circumference. But that shouldnt add up to the difference from the (at best 28 mpg) figures i was getting with the old tyres. Should it?

So in summary so far:

It might be at least part to the slight change made when i had my alignment done but overall the car definitely feels more planted at 60 than it did prior to the change. But i think a good part of it is the tyres.
There's a notible improvement in comfort over typical london roads. The ride is far less rough and "noisy" (feel wise not noise wise), making roads that used to let you know they weren't perfect feel relatively smooth. On actual smooth roads its like the car is gliding over the road now.
The general feel from the tyres is so much better, actually get a sense of some rubber between car and road now rather than solid wheels. Makes the car far more confidence inspiring in corners.
Initial turn in just off the dead ahead is very slightly slower than the RFTs, but now i'm used to it at anything above 30-40 mph it's actually a good thing. The car responds to direction changes at faster speeds perfectly in my opinion, and has lost a touch of nervousness it had. I find myself more relaxed at the wheel now on A road and Motorway speeds.
I get no sense of mushyness from the steering once in the corner either, car responds quickly and stably to steering adjustments in sweeping corners.
Tramlining has completely disappeared. Despite the increase in front tyre width.
Steering wheel is more stable over uneven surfaces, where before it would move around with every little bump etc
They are so much quieter than the RFTs! On smooth roads I can hardly hear them with the windows up. Almost makes it fee like i'm driving a limo in that sense :D
Grip is (unsurprisingly) higher, so much so that painted mini roundabouts now fail to get the traction control light to flicker, similarly accelearating over small manhole covers results in nothing too.
Fuel economy seems (surprisingly) to be better.

So far there's not been a single downside, for me at least.

Plus all of the above has been in winter conditions with the temp rarely being over 10 deg and as low as 1 and as often as not wet. In terms of grip they're feeling like the runflats did (better even) on dry summer days.

wrevilo23
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by wrevilo23 »

That's great feedback. I've gone ASY5 for my car, which is mainly used on the commute. Look forward to seeing how they are!
2008 E81 130i M Sport: 135i backbox, E92 M3 LCAs & camber pin mod, F2x Brembo front brakes

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”