Tyre choice now that MPSS are gone

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

2Nut

Re: Tyre choice now that MPSS are gone

Post by 2Nut »

I'm running goodyear supersports , certainly much better than MPSS but you will still break traction at T junctions etc if slightly damp

Russt

Post by Russt »

Am I right in thinking the MPSS was BMW approved but the MP4’s are not? What is the implication of this if the car is still under warranty? (apologies if this has been asked before).

Rarebit
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rarebit »

Russt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
Am I right in thinking the MPSS was BMW approved but the MP4’s are not? What is the implication of this if the car is still under warranty? (apologies if this has been asked before).
Correct. Some dealers can get funny about it if claiming for wheels/suspension.

BUT..you also see a few AUC cars without star marked tyres so seems BMW are trying to have their cake and eat it (which I will he pointing out if I have ever have any warranty issues due to tyres)

I think they actually have to prove the non star marked tyres have caused the issue in any case.
2016 M140i - Melbourne Red + BMWP
2013 M135i - rejected
2007 130i LE - gone
2002 316ti

frs3052
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by frs3052 »

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 am
Michelin Cup 2's come with 6.8mm too, the price of track-focused rubber.
Yeah, just wasn’t expecting the Goodyear’s to as they are mpss equivalent not cup 2s
F20 M140i Auto
R53 Mini Cooper S
Track action from the mini..... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRayds ... tI3AY07wQw

RickN55
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by RickN55 »

I bought the BMW "fitment" MPSS on mine when I got them, Does anyone know how you tell that they are the BMW fitment ones on the tyre? As I can't see any BMW badge of anything, Is there a special number or symbol or something?
F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins) Full rear Twenty20 LED bulb upgrade

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Rickie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 am
iladtani wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 am
I switched to PS4 from MPSS about 3 months ago and while they are better in the wet once they do break traction the feel of the MPSS is far superior and predictable, I think i value that more than the slight bit of extra grip so will probably switch back for my next set unless there are new tyres on the market worth considering.
That sucks :( I actually feel quite sad that the MPSS are gone from production. I thought they were great. I guess i'll just have to get the pilot sport 4's then like most of the rest of the guys here then :(
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports. Reviews are putting them on par with the PS4S (not PS4), which is a better sports tyre than the PS4 and retains most (if not all) of it's wet weather performance. But PS4S aren't available in 18", the GY F1 SS are.

Had them on my car for a few hundred miles now and they're giving as much confidence and grip in the cold/wet than my old (admittedly unevenly worn and not the best tyre) run flats did in the dry. I've never driven on the MPSS so couldn't compare personally, but if you look at reviews of MPSS v PS4S then the conclusion is clear, if you got 19" and must go Michelin then PS4S every day over the older tech MPSS. So if the GY SS is considered on par with the PS4S.. decision made.

Edited - Marco beat me to it! Must read the whole of a thread before replying ! :oops:
Last edited by CoupeSilver on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

RickN55 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm
I bought the BMW "fitment" MPSS on mine when I got them, Does anyone know how you tell that they are the BMW fitment ones on the tyre? As I can't see any BMW badge of anything, Is there a special number or symbol or something?
BMW approved tyres have a Star * on the tyre wall:

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Throwing a bomb in... The GY Asym 5 are meant to be very good road tyres too:

Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)

Dace64
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dace64 »

I use my PS4’s on track and they are very good. Only marginally behind the PSS on a hot dry day! In the wet they are way ahead. Now on 19,000 miles and 7th track tomorrow at Oulton Park.
New set on order from Camskill. Cheap as chips 😃
F20 M140i SE. 442bhp & 602Nm

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Russt wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm
BMW changed my tyres to PS4 and when I asked the same question they said it was fine.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

wrevilo23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by wrevilo23 »

CoupeSilver wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm
Throwing a bomb in... The GY Asym 5 are meant to be very good road tyres too:
I just had a pair fitted to the rear of my car in 235/40/18. Can't complain so far and they've a nice thick rim protector.

I'll have a pair or on the front to when the Contis currently on run out.
2008 E81 130i M Sport: 135i backbox, E92 M3 LCAs & camber pin mod

RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

marco_polo wrote:
RickN55 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 pm
BMW approved tyres have a Star * on the tyre wall:

Cheers. Never knew how to recognise BMW fitment on the tyre until you said.
My MPSS have the star on them all.Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins) Full rear Twenty20 LED bulb upgrade

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”