Wheel & Tire culture in the UK

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

lordcho

Wheel & Tire culture in the UK

Post by lordcho »

Hey so I'm not a native UK'er and I'd like to understand what the cultural norm is around here when it comes to wheels and tires.

There's a lot of chatter about purchasing wheels and or tires online and I presume bringing them to a local shop to install/fit. That probably saves a few bucks but wouldn't the shop just charge more for labour costs? Where I'm from, I'd usually check in with a local shop and they typically source the stuff I need and also give a good deal on labour.

What's the standard here? I think just checking forums instead of chatting up a local shop seems odd to me but when in Rome...
nivens
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Wheel & Tire culture in the UK

Post by nivens »

You'll probably find it a struggle to get someone to fit tyres that you supply yourself, most fitters near me don't do fit only. Lots of people use the online suppliers (black circles, mytyres) that let you book fitting with a nearby garage they have a contract with but I've had poor experience with those places recently. Checking with your local place is still generally the norm for most people, maybe just not the norm for forum dwellers.
2005 E87 130i - Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
lordcho

Post by lordcho »

Ahhh that would make sense. I was wondering why local garages would do that and lose out on commission somewhere in the pipeline.

I guess the strategy is finding a solid, reliable shop, eh?
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo »

I buy tyres mail-order and pay to have them fitted and balanced by a local alloy wheel shop. It doesn't save very much money in reality, but they don't mind, and I get the tyres I particularly fancy (being a fussy tyre bore).

As long as your local friendly tyre shop can get tyres you're happy with want for a sensible price, it's probably the least hassle for you.

Blackcircles are somewhere inbetween, internet prices and fitting pre-arranged at a random local-ish garage.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate
lordcho

Post by lordcho »

Sounds like a good, working relationship there Marco.

Any tips on how to grow that relationship as a newbie car owner? I don't daily my vehicle so I can't even begin to estimate how often I'd visit the garage. I think even 4000 miles a year is a stretch, where as I'd put on 10k a year easily back in the day.
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

Have a chat with a local family-owned wheel shop? They're usually quite happy for a bonus £50 income, expecially on a quiet weekday morning.

I use an alloy wheel shop as they know how to change tyres without damaging the rims. I've been bitten in the past by uncaring tyre fitters in the bigger chains.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate
lordcho

Post by lordcho »

I just found this!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 0&t=796191

And also http://www.k1tyres.co.uk/ from Googling "london family owned wheel shop"
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

There's a price comparison tool on tyrereviews.co.uk, find somewhere local and see if they can get close to the cheapest fitted price?
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Simon Site Manager »

My local Kwikfit fitted my new tyres (bought from Camskill) to a spare set of rims with no problem, £15 per corner and they repaired a screw in one tyre for free.
'17 M140i Estoril Blue Most of the toys. Every time I see an F40 it makes me :(

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”