Another tyre thread... a little different

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

G0tcha

Another tyre thread... a little different

Post by G0tcha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm

I wanted to see what your experience was like with the OEM potenzas that come with the M140i. When cold-ish and or wet the car easily loses grip and TC gets involved at times when you just would not expect the car to be having grip issues. Grip is notably effected the moment you go below 7c (more recently improves when you get them that warm) below 4c is qtr throttle only until you are sure things are hooked up. I have run all sorts of powerful cars, FWD, 4WD and RWD and never felt the need to even consider winters, but I'm thinking now :)

So my question is more around, would a different UHP tyre such as my previous fav's the F1 Asym. 3's fair better than the potenza's (cards on the table, I do not like the potenzas, I had them on my CTR previously and much prefer the feel of most any other UHP tyre, so I don't know if I'm just being down on them), or should I step stop thinking I can get away with one tyre all year and invest in steelies / winters. I am sure the drexler would help controls the cars reaction but clearly that's a step up in spend and possibly not as much benefit for winter use. I should say I live in Surrey, rarely see snow, but we do seemingly spend a lot of time <7c which appears to be enough to restrict how much you can enjoy the car on our bumpy leaf strewn roads.

I welcome your thoughts :)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Another tyre thread... a little different

Post by marco_polo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Asym 3's are good down to around 1°, not much good on black ice though. I've now swapped over to my Nokian Winters.

I don't rate Potenza's either, nor Runcraps.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

MPSS are the OEM tyres on the M140i or are we discussing RFT's?
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Mine was delivered brand new from a main dealer with the Potenza's on, I took a pre-existing build slot, so was too late to change the options. I think it what you get if you don't opt out of the run flats !

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 pm

G0tcha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm
Mine was delivered brand new from a main dealer with the Potenza's on, I took a pre-existing build slot, so was too late to change the options. I think it what you get if you don't opt out of the run flats !
They’ll be RFTs then. That’s part of the problem, they take longer to get up to operating temperature than normal tyres, so in winter they’re pretty much useless.
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 pm

G0tcha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm
I see. I had Potenza RFTs on my 135i. Hated them with a passion.

So far the MPSS seem to be fairing quite well.
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

invisible
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by invisible » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Ditch the RFTs [chant]
Current: M135i 5-dr Man, MG with Black, heated lumbar seats, sunroof, aftermarket HiFi, DMS remap, Bilstein B8, Eibach Pro-Kit, Quaife LSD

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I need to buy two sets of new tyres, some decent summers and some winters.

I think I will go winters for now and then I can look into a nice set of wheels and rubber for the summer and that gives me a few months to explain to the good lady why its a good idea to have a pile of wheels in the conservatory !

XWV
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by XWV » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 pm

My 320d had the Bridgestone RFTs and they were inadequate even for that car. Worst branded tyres I've ever driven on, on damp surfaces in particular they were verging on dangerous.
2017 Melbourne Red F20 M140i SE auto

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

G0tcha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:36 pm
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I need to buy two sets of new tyres, some decent summers and some winters.

I think I will go winters for now and then I can look into a nice set of wheels and rubber for the summer and that gives me a few months to explain to the good lady why its a good idea to have a pile of wheels in the conservatory !
I’ve got winter tyres on too, but if I could start again (without throwing money away) I would get Michelin CrossClimates instead and rotated them with MPSS or other summer tyres. This is my second winter with winter tyres and I firmly believe crossclimates would offer a better overall performance for UK weather.
Food for thought...
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I too have been looking at the Crossclimates (Peter), well the CC+, seemed too good to be true.On paper its better suited to non snow based winter conditions I experience than full winters but still works when its cold and does not go to pieces when warm.....

Lets see what I can find in stock :)

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:37 am

I don't mind the potenza on mine, but the majority of driving is motorway, so they get up to temp quite easily and then once off the motorway they are ok, even in this weather, while they hold their heat.

If my driving was twisty back roads most of the time I'd probably be more concerned.

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am

XWV wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 pm
My 320d had the Bridgestone RFTs and they were inadequate even for that car. Worst branded tyres I've ever driven on, on damp surfaces in particular they were verging on dangerous.
My 120d came with them and after reading how rubbish they were and how the ride would ruin my spine I budgeted to replace them the following month. However the problems never materialised and despite only doing spirited driving plus a couple of airfield days the only time they didn’t have grip was when I was driving a bit quicker than I should in lane 3 of the M4 as snow was falling. ESP did it’s job though and all was well ;-)

I also never managed to wear them out during the 4 years I owned the car.

Chris

G0tcha

Post by G0tcha » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:50 am

^^^ Lol, When I first got the car, I thought, ah well, potezenas not great but hey a UHP tyre, I will wear it out within a year and I can make my choice then. I'm a track day, advanced driving course (admittedly all in very wet conditions) and 14 months in and they are still only half way through their wear ! They are hard wearing, I will give them that at least !

SAitken140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SAitken140i » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Not sure about winters as I never bother with them. But for a good set of summer tyres, go for R888R’s. I’ve got them on my RS3 and f**k me they’re sticky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”