Options for Summer/Winter - Opinions required!

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Options for Summer/Winter - Opinions required!

Post by AJ_ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 am

Hi guys,

I've been umming and arrring for months now about the whole winter/summer tyre subject, having read many threads and researching on the internet, I am still not certain on the best option. I definitely cannot maintain mobility in ice or snow conditions on the existing rubber (GY Eagle Asym 2 RFT). On two occasions in the last few months I haven't been able to get off the street as it's a slight incline. I cover approximately 20k per year and need mobility all year round. The current tyres have 4-6 weeks life in them before they need replacing also.

The options I envisage are:

1. Fit Michelin CrossClimate+ 225/40R18 92Y to the stock (7.5J & 8.0J) wheels at a cost of £500 and run these all year round. Bare in mind it's a 116D M Sport.
2. Replace the summer rubber (£600) and buy a separate alloy wheel/winter tyre setup when the prices drop. I've been considering the 380, 381 or 385 alloys which I could pick up for a one off cost of approx £800. These would hold residual value when sold in future.
3. Replace the summer tyres (£600) and when the next winter is approaching, buy a set of decent winter tyres (225/40R18 square at a cost of approx £500) and spend approximately £100 a year in tyre rotation costs (dead money).

Given the requirements, which option (if any of the above) would you do personally? Any other suggestions also welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

AJ
F20 LCI 116d M Sport (Estoril Blue)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Options for Summer/Winter - Opinions required!

Post by marco_polo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am

Either 1 or 2.

Option 3 is dead money every year, and take up no less storage room.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Where do you live? In 4 to 6 weeks, weather in the south is different to the North. Down south I would suggest new summer boots, ditch the run flats, save a few quid and buy a compressor and slime kit for £20, and enjoy better tyres. Then you have 8 months to find a set of winters.

I bought a new set of 381s with michelin winters from a BMW garage off ebay for £400 in late summer.... Deals do appear if you are patient.

Or cross climates could be a better option if you are happy to compromise both summer and winter extremes. Less hassle, less total outlay. Your choice, no one else can tell you what will work best for you.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 am

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am
Either 1 or 2.

Option 3 is dead money every year, and take up no less storage room.
Thanks marco :)
McTrucky wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm
Where do you live? In 4 to 6 weeks, weather in the south is different to the North. Down south I would suggest new summer boots, ditch the run flats, save a few quid and buy a compressor and slime kit for £20, and enjoy better tyres. Then you have 8 months to find a set of winters.

I bought a new set of 381s with michelin winters from a BMW garage off ebay for £400 in late summer.... Deals do appear if you are patient.

Or cross climates could be a better option if you are happy to compromise both summer and winter extremes. Less hassle, less total outlay. Your choice, no one else can tell you what will work best for you.
Thanks for your reply. I live in West Yorkshire but can have a commute anywhere throughout the UK. I plan on ditching the run flats no matter which option I go for as they cripple the comfort. I appreciate no one can tell me which will work best for me, but I've been contemplating my options for months and never committed, so I was intrigued to know what other people would chose if their circumstances were the same :)

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 am

Bump - Grateful for any opinions guys!

AJ

SimonB5

Post by SimonB5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

AJ_ wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks for your reply. I live in West Yorkshire but can have a commute anywhere throughout the UK. I plan on ditching the run flats no matter which option I go for as they cripple the comfort. I appreciate no one can tell me which will work best for me, but I've been contemplating my options for months and never committed, so I was intrigued to know what other people would chose if their circumstances were the same :)
We only recently picked up ours, but I'd already planned on getting winters for it - living fairly high up in W.Yorks, we get a fair amount of snow :mrgreen:

I went with winter tyres fitted to the standard 436M wheels (225.40.18 square - Minerva S210 winters, £240 fitted)

Missus said to just swap them summer / winter and have one set of wheels. Whilst this means I don't have to shell out for more wheels, it also means a £60 bill every spring then winter to swap tyres, plus I'd need to time it right. If you take them off early if the weather picks up, have a garage put summers on, then it snows, you've got another bill to swap back if you need to be mobile.

For me, two sets of wheels is the way to go - least you can change wheels yourself to suit the conditions. Father in law used to swap tyres circa October, and I'd still be running summers on my old Caddy into December if it was mild. Likewise, he's previously swapped back, then we've had snow..

Which reminds me, I better get wheel shopping and find a home for the new MPSS I have 8)

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Im the same. I live in the North West, Cheshire. The weather can be unpredictable, even more so in Yorkshire.

I do circa 20-30k a year in my 3er all over UK, down to Devon tomorrow morning.

My option that suits me just fine is, X4 different wheels with winters mounted (in my case 16" steelies, I like the utilitarian look) with midrange £55/60 tyres fitted ready to go.

I run these October-March, currently have them on now, then swap them back etc to my X4 summer wheels which I store in the garden shed.

Good thing is, you can't wear two sets of tyres out at the same time, thus saving money suppose, get few years out of them if your steady. 👍

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 am

Different car, but I picked up a set of used 18” e53 x5 alloys with 6mm winter continental tyres for £500 this year. They were mint too. You should not need to pay £800 to get a set. IMO this is the best option. I’ve got two seats of alloys for my 130i too and I’ve needed to use them a few times just for boring things like dealing with puntutres etc. Gives great flexibility if you’ve the room to store them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

AJ_
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by AJ_ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 am

SimonB5 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm
AJ_ wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 am

We only recently picked up ours, but I'd already planned on getting winters for it - living fairly high up in W.Yorks, we get a fair amount of snow :mrgreen:

I went with winter tyres fitted to the standard 436M wheels (225.40.18 square - Minerva S210 winters, £240 fitted)

Missus said to just swap them summer / winter and have one set of wheels. Whilst this means I don't have to shell out for more wheels, it also means a £60 bill every spring then winter to swap tyres, plus I'd need to time it right. If you take them off early if the weather picks up, have a garage put summers on, then it snows, you've got another bill to swap back if you need to be mobile.

For me, two sets of wheels is the way to go - least you can change wheels yourself to suit the conditions. Father in law used to swap tyres circa October, and I'd still be running summers on my old Caddy into December if it was mild. Likewise, he's previously swapped back, then we've had snow..

Which reminds me, I better get wheel shopping and find a home for the new MPSS I have 8)
Thanks for your post Simon.
MontegoBlue wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm
Im the same. I live in the North West, Cheshire. The weather can be unpredictable, even more so in Yorkshire.

I do circa 20-30k a year in my 3er all over UK, down to Devon tomorrow morning.

My option that suits me just fine is, X4 different wheels with winters mounted (in my case 16" steelies, I like the utilitarian look) with midrange £55/60 tyres fitted ready to go.

I run these October-March, currently have them on now, then swap them back etc to my X4 summer wheels which I store in the garden shed.

Good thing is, you can't wear two sets of tyres out at the same time, thus saving money suppose, get few years out of them if your steady. 👍
Thanks for your post Montego.
Rustle wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 am
Different car, but I picked up a set of used 18” e53 x5 alloys with 6mm winter continental tyres for £500 this year. They were mint too. You should not need to pay £800 to get a set. IMO this is the best option. I’ve got two seats of alloys for my 130i too and I’ve needed to use them a few times just for boring things like dealing with puntutres etc. Gives great flexibility if you’ve the room to store them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Rustle.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”