Winters or cross climate?

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Winters or cross climate?

Post by robsaboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:24 pm

My winters are shot on the x1 steels. As our winters are unpredictable (snow lottery) has anyone gone for Michelin cross climate or Goodyear 4 seasons? Thinking it could be a good Nov to March option :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Winters or cross climate?

Post by Octavius » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I’m using CrossClimates on my works van. I will never put a different tyre on it as long as they are in production. They are brilliant for what I need but not sure about running them on a car all year.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Octavius wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:14 pm
I’m using CrossClimates on my works van. I will never put a different tyre on it as long as they are in production. They are brilliant for what I need but not sure about running them on a car all year.
Thanks. Just thinking between Nov and March instead of winters as it isn't always freezing / snow.
M140i, Mineral Grey

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:10 pm

I'd not compromise on optimal tyres on an M-Lite. We have Michelin cross-climates on our little Peugeot 206 and they are a sensible choice for an 'ordinary' car. But for a performance M-Lite like the OP's 140i I'd say that the compromise is too great: get the best summers for summer and then if you can manage it, the best winters for winter. And before anyone says it, no, this is independent of how often it snows where you live. This is on the basis of winter compound and wet roadholding being better with a winter on an M-Lite. Of course, I appreciate that this is easy to say, and there is a cost and inconvenience to having separate winters.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:28 pm

If you are able to runs two sets of wheels/tyres then decent winters for the winter would be (and is) my choice.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 pm

I'd the running them Nov to March on my my steel wheels. Standard super sports at other times :) there's always feedback that full winters aren't great on warmer winter days - we can't be swapping over weekly....
M140i, Mineral Grey

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 pm

robsaboy wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 pm
I'd the running them Nov to March on my my steel wheels. Standard super sports at other times :) there's always feedback that full winters aren't great on warmer winter days - we can't be swapping over weekly....
One of the biggest advantages of running winters in winter for me (down here in deepest darkest rural Devon) is their capabilities on roads slick with mud & other crap regardless of temp, but I guess if you're in an urban environment that may not be a factor?

I've noticed little difference on warmer winter days and my Goodyear Ultragrip Performance Gen 1's seem to me to clear standing water as well as my summer PS4's.

For me there's no downside but everyone has unique circumstances and requirements.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:33 pm

Both are great, one is more hardcore, the other is good - both are better than "summer tyres" PERIOD - when it's gets cold and slippery - I'm hardcore and swap over with steelies, got to do it properly with the utilitarian look 8)

But that's just my peace of mind, got me out of a right pickle last year, paid for themselves a few times over, resting in the shed for this season 👍 Riken Snowtimes really good tyres btw...
Current - 2012 318d N47 Touring - 94,000 miles
Current - 1966 1300 Beetle - 168,000 miles

Past - 2008 118d N47 - last seen 180,000 miles
Past - 2005 Toyota Avensis - last seen 156,000 miles
Past - 2003 Renault Clio - last seen 134,000 miles

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:44 pm

robsaboy wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 pm
there's always feedback that full winters aren't great on warmer winter days
Such feedback is very context-dependent.

For our 75BHP Peugeot we moved to all-seasons from separate summers and winters. I've also run the winters right across the summer, as well as summers all winter. Interestingly, I found the winters to be less bad in summer than summers were in winter. The all-seasons aren't as good, but the gap (all-seasons vs winters in winter /vs summers in summer) is not big enough to make me return to the summers/winters arrangement.

But with the 330BHP M235i on RWD, that difference would be substantial. To the extent that I don't see the point of owning an M-Lite and putting all-seasons on it.

In some ways, if I wanted only one set of wheels & tyres, I'd prefer to either (a) have a great summer on summers, and a boring winter being very careful or (b) have a very reassuring winter on winters and a rather disappointing summer. And considering I've bought the M-Lite for its performance and handling, then I'd probably opt for (a) if I had to choose just one option.

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Good debate here :) I'm considering using cross climates just in winter as apposed to a full winter tyre. Based on UK winters being very mixed temps and conditions.
M140i, Mineral Grey

MontegoBlue
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MontegoBlue » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 am

robsaboy wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm
Good debate here :) I'm considering using cross climates just in winter as apposed to a full winter tyre. Based on UK winters being very mixed temps and conditions.
Sounds good, they will be much better than sticking on summers, but I will always have that doubt in my mind...if it does dump it down and I am 200miles from home, I may wish I had the dedicated winters on, but it's all dependent on what your doing, gonna be different for various drivers 👍

I'm glad people are considering their rubber more now, not just on here, but out in the wild - there is definitely more discussions being had when it goes cold, and the UK grinds to a halt.
Current - 2012 318d N47 Touring - 94,000 miles
Current - 1966 1300 Beetle - 168,000 miles

Past - 2008 118d N47 - last seen 180,000 miles
Past - 2005 Toyota Avensis - last seen 156,000 miles
Past - 2003 Renault Clio - last seen 134,000 miles

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:10 pm

'I'm considering using cross climates just in winter as apposed to a full winter tyre. Based on UK winters being very mixed temps and conditions.'

All-seasons won't be better in warmer winter temperatures than winters, all other things being equal. Be careful when people feed back that they're unhappy with their winters on warmer days - many of these people have switched to smaller wheels and narrower tyres at the same time. So winters or all-seasons, the handling won't be as good.

Bear in mind also that different products have different characteristics. My Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II were very good in warmer conditions, but not quite as good as the Sottozero S3 in the snow. Because I go to the Alps in the winter, when I replaced the S-IIs I went for the S3s.

Basically, I'm saying that if you're going to all the trouble of a switch, storing the unused tyres, and a second set of wheels too, then it doesn't really make sense to use all-seasons instead of winters.

gavp
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by gavp » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:57 am

I need new tyres for my winter wheel set. Been using Continentals and pleased with how they’ve performed over the 5 winters they’ve lasted.
I think the wider temperature range of cross climates will make them more suitable for my use this time. Live in the south west and dont go skiing etc.
Although we had plenty of snow this year we also had temperatures in double figures for most of November and December.
2016 GS M135i - F21 Auto - here
2013 GS M135i - F21 Auto - Sold
E46 M3
KTM 950 Adventure
Aprilia RSV1000

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”