Should I change to 19"

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

brutal delux
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Should I change to 19"

Post by brutal delux » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:33 pm

All the wheels on my m235 where marked when I bought the car and it annoys me as I'm so careful not to do that.
I'm thinking of either getting them refurbed or changing them.
If I change them I'm thinking of going to 19". Are there any solid reasons for not doing this?
Current setup is the standard 18" with 12mm spacers on the front, 15mm on the back and a set of motech eibach springs.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
N54 135i / Debadged / BMWP Black Grills / N55 mids / JB4 / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / SSDD performance spoiler / Eibach Pro Kit
N55 M235i / Debadged

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Should I change to 19"

Post by marco_polo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:39 pm

More expensive wheels, more expensive tyres, harder ride, more prone to pothole damage, and (usually) an increase in unsprung weight = lower performance/road-holding.

There aren't any upsides I'm aware of, unless you need to fit 400mm discs of course.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

brutal delux
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by brutal delux » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Haha not many positives then. So why do so many people do it? Just for the aesthetics?
Roads here in the south are fairly sh*te so refurb or replacement 18" may be the way to go
N54 135i / Debadged / BMWP Black Grills / N55 mids / JB4 / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / SSDD performance spoiler / Eibach Pro Kit
N55 M235i / Debadged

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:51 pm

brutal delux wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm
Haha not many positives then. So why do so many people do it? Just for the aesthetics?
Roads here in the south are fairly sh*te so refurb or replacement 18" may be the way to go
Personally I find the car looks undernourished on 18s, so have run style 361 19 inch BMW wheels since new. I don't find the ride bad on passive suspension and MPSS.

I guess you sacrifice the handling by 10%. But I'm a tart! :D
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Stumps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Stumps » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes you should

19" wheels look awesome

Stumps :spotman: :) :spotman:

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Lower-profile tyres on 19" should help you turn more easily than higher-profile tyres on 18" but it will be more prone to aquaplaning - all other things being equal. The latter includes weight and tyre brand. As mentioned, however, if you change the tyre brand and put on heavier wheels you may not see much other then a harsher ride and dodgy wet roadholding (or rather, not-road-holding). But if you spent a lot of money and put on something like lighter forged wheels and better rubber, you might be very happy. Especially if you anyway had winter wheels and tyres for those wet winter conditions.

I'll be in the same position when my stock M235i tyres come up for renewal and I would be tempted to go for 19" because I anyway do have separate winter wheels and tyres. So it would just be for the better weather and now I have an LSD, the wheels are the obvious next/easiest handling improvement to make. But it's be a big price to pay to go the whole forged wheel route just for, perhaps, another 10% on the handling. I don't track, so really, how often would I benefit? And yet ….. . .
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster+HGB; BMW M Performance LSD

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 am

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:39 pm
More expensive wheels, more expensive tyres, harder ride, more prone to pothole damage, and (usually) an increase in unsprung weight = lower performance/road-holding.

There aren't any upsides I'm aware of, unless you need to fit 400mm discs of course.
Indeed. And I'll bet you the 18" wheels are what the chassis engineers sign the car off on.

However.

I'm a tart and don't like the look of the standard wheels. I've therefore run 19" wheels from new. I reckon you lose 10% on the ride and handling and 10% on the ride quality. I'm happy to live with this due to the far better looks.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”