m240i winter wheel set

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Jon P
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

m240i winter wheel set

Post by Jon P » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:13 pm

So being a newish owner of a m240i I’m considering, after reading the great winter wheel guide, a set of winter wheels. Could email Cotswold to see what price they could do on an approved full set but obviously the cost will still be high and you end up seemingly with some old designs of winter tyres.
But as the cars new am I still best going approved....
If. I went else where how much cheaper would it be.

I live in the midlands and will likely be driving around 5 in the morning for my commute so will likely be cold even if no snow this year.
M240i
Gone120d xdrive

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: m240i winter wheel set

Post by SteveM » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 am

I ended up ordering mine directly from the BMW website, more through necessity than anything else. The sudden snow showers at the start of March pushed me into ordering on the quick.

I went for style 388 and chose for them to be fitted with continental TS830 - I think the other choice was Pirelli.

Square set up 7.5” wheel with 225/40/18

The tyres are superb and performed far better than I thought they would. They ploughed through 4-6 inches of snow with ease, and stopped on a sixpence on snow-over-ice covered roads.

Previously on my old 123d I had Goodyear Ultragrip as winters. They performed well, or so I thought at the time but they do not come close to how sure-footed and grippy the TS830s are.

The wheels were delivered to Sytner Leicester (the closest option for me), so on collection day we drove from Barons Cambridge to Sytner Leicester on the MPSS and did the return journey on the Conti TS830s. The drive to Leicester was treacherous. Driving on ice covered roads and through snow blizzards on brand new, unscrubbed MPSSs was not fun at all. Bless my Mrs, she drove the outbound leg. The conditions on the drive back were just as bad but felt nowhere near as treacherous on the Contis.

I quite like the look of the 388s too...

M240 auto.

SteveM
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: m240i winter wheel set

Post by SteveM » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am

Just realised that I didn’t actually answer any of your questions in my post :lol:

I did have to pay ‘top dollar’ by buying directly, but the online price was still cheaper than the price offered to me by Barons Cambridge, where I bought the car from. It wasn’t by much, maybe a hundred quid or so, but out of principle I didn’t order a set from them as they offered no discount whatsoever.

I paid £1880.00

As to ‘old type of tyre’... my choices were Conti TS830 or Pirelli (I think), which were both the newest design by each manufacturer at the time. My tyres are stamped week 38 2017 so were 5 months old when delivered to me.
M240 auto.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”