Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Post by marco_polo »

martin10chk wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:01 pm
One thing - compared to the tired MPSS these are so quiet.
That's a big tick from me, good to know, thank you.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

stag74
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stag74 »

My MPSS have nearly had it, just short of 30K miles so done well.
Certainly considering the Goodyears as possible replacements.
The thing is with the Mitchelins they have done nearly 30K and thus the pence per mile if you like takes some beating...
M140i 3 Door Manual

BigSwede
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BigSwede »

stag74 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:41 pm
The thing is with the Mitchelins they have done nearly 30K and thus the pence per mile if you like takes some beating...
With the greatest of respect, with this sort of car that shouldn't really be a consideration. To get yours to 30k is some achievement but the tyres are there to take some punishment so I care little so long as they last 10-12k for road use. I want grip and feel rather than tyre life.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk »

BigSwede wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm
stag74 wrote:
With the greatest of respect, with this sort of car that shouldn't really be a consideration. To get yours to 30k is some achievement but the tyres are there to take some punishment so I care little so long as they last 10-12k for road use. I want grip and feel rather than tyre life.
I agree. In fact my MPSS had tread left but had really lost performance. They were cracked, had obviously become noisy. I almost wish they had worn out sooner!
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

stag74
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stag74 »

BigSwede wrote:
stag74 wrote:
I want grip feel and tyre life.
I use mine for business travel so I don't want to be replacing tyres after 6 months.
Mitchelin tyres have always been pricey but if you get the miles out of them along with the grip and feel, the extra cost is worth it.
However if you only do 5 to 10K miles a year, getting the mileage out of them isn't so important.
M140i 3 Door Manual

BigSwede
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BigSwede »

stag74 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:20 pm
BigSwede wrote:
stag74 wrote:
I want grip feel and tyre life.
I use mine for business travel so I don't want to be replacing tyres after 6 months.
Mitchelin tyres have always been pricey but if you get the miles out of them along with the grip and feel, the extra cost is worth it.
However if you only do 5 to 10K miles a year, getting the mileage out of them isn't so important.
My car is nearly a year old and will hit approx 33k on its birthday as I too do a lot of business miles. MPSS on the rear did approx 14k but still had some meat on them but seemed to have lost the ability to grip in all situations so had to go. I then fitted PS4 which got me to about 29k and they performed really well but were worn to the markers. I then put on the F1SS on and they feel superb. I'll soon see what sort of mileage they achieve.

The front MPSS lasted until end of May and approx 25k and they were goosed 😂

The F1SS feel a step on from the MPSS and PS4 so I'm willing to sacrifice some mileage but I'll find out soon enough how the mileage compares.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk »

Quick update as have been out on the new F1 Supersports today. This is all a comparison of new Goodyear Supersports with part worn MPSS. Not like for like I know. But here goes. New tyres definitely quieter. Turn in a lot sharper. I had been experiencing tram-lining and that has now gone completely. General feel is excellent. I am pretty sure most of these changes would have followed from fitting PS4 or F1 Asymmetric 5. The lesson I think I have learned is that new tyres feel a huge improvement over tired ones. But fwiw the Goodyear Supersports do seem to be excellent.

stag74
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stag74 »

I wonder if tyre life depends on whether your car is auto or manual. You are more likely to stab the throttle with auto on takeoff whereas with the manual less so?
M140i 3 Door Manual

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium »

Wouldn’t have thought so - mines a manual - got 25k out of MPSS with pretty much moderate safe driving and mostly motorway commuting - could have pushed to 28-30k if i went down to 1,6mm maybe.

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium »

martin10chk wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 am
Quick update as have been out on the new F1 Supersports today. This is all a comparison of new Goodyear Supersports with part worn MPSS. Not like for like I know. But here goes. New tyres definitely quieter. Turn in a lot sharper. I had been experiencing tram-lining and that has now gone completely. General feel is excellent. I am pretty sure most of these changes would have followed from fitting PS4 or F1 Asymmetric 5. The lesson I think I have learned is that new tyres feel a huge improvement over tired ones. But fwiw the Goodyear Supersports do seem to be excellent.
thanks for the updates - we will have a good idea of how F1SS fares on our cars if you and others like BigSwede keep posting up

To conçur on your review, i too notice less noise and sharpened up steering response - honestly not even noticed the change as I was just enjoying the car being more normal or as I expected it to be.

AND IGNORE MY TYRE TREAD LIFE TABLES ALL - I did a retest of readings the weekend and I still have over 7-7.5 left so I need to be more scientific to ensure accurate, consistent readings - will put up a table soon but please don’t think the tyre compund is butter!

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium »

Also noticed this thread is now in a Tyres/Wheels group! Makes sense but took a minute to figure out where it was.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk »

One point of contention with MPSS I know is the rather limited water clearance channels on the 245 rears. Goodyear Supersport definitely more generous in this respect.
IMG_0630 (1).jpg
IMG_0630 (1).jpg (22.62 KiB) Viewed 549 times

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk »

So here is an update as I have had mine on for 3 weeks now. Lots of good reviews on web so will try not to bore with repetition.

Noise To my ears these are very quiet tyres -- a lot quieter than the part worn MPSS they replaced.

Dry grip is (as expected) beyond anything that can be assessed on a public road. Handling is superb. Again, MPSS they replaced were part worn and tired but these are very different. Steering much more precise. Turn in sharp. Inspire confidence.

Wet grip - seems to me much much better than the old MPSS. In part I think this is because they don't seem so sensitive to lower temperature. I always found with my MPSS that until they got to mid 20s Celsius they were a bit of nightmare on wet or damp roads. The Goodyears seem pretty happy straight off the drive so to speak. So when the TPMS is giving me 15-16 degrees they are are gripping really well. Feel great to be honest.

Wear - no idea. Haven't done enough miles to tell.

From reading what others have said these would seem to be an excellent choice for anyone wanting the (U)UHP summer characteristics of MPSS whilst feeling more secure in the wet on colder tyres. Most reviewers rate these on a par with PS4S - which still seem unavailable in 18" sizes.

I strongly recommend based on experience so far.

Hohay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Hohay »

potassium wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm
martin10chk wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 pm
Going in for a set of these on Friday….
Interested what you think of these with the MP LSD.

For me a week in, and now rain tested as well, I can surmise that they are grippy as hell in the dry and for some reason are also driving like they are dry when wet.

The last few days of rain have allowed me to try them out cold, and then warmed up. Trying to figure out their limits at low speeds, I tried to see if the squirm of cold MPSS was still there, but I am surprised that all weekend, I ended up moving the settings to sport plus or DSC off, and could not induce the orange traction light. I was not aggressive I guess, owing to my experience of MPSS which held back my right foot in a sort of memory effect way. But then it was a public road too, so was not pushing it through the floor.

Commute on motorways in wet was the same, like its dry and no difference even with sport plus.

Added tyre wear below which looks a bit iffy as some readings are low. Could just be me and my fat hands trying to get under the arches, but will keep updating it, and give further tyre reviews.

Goodyear Eagle F1 SS Tyre Wear:
Hi, any update on the tyre wear now you have had the tyres for a bit

robern2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by robern2 »

Getting mine fitted next weekend.
White 2016 M135i, auto, DMS map, ACS springs, Superpro camber bushes, chassis brace, spacers, VRSF charge pipe, Remus

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”