Bi-Xenon retrofit issue

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

E87//120D_Tom

Bi-Xenon retrofit issue

Post by E87//120D_Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi guys. Help is needed. I’ve managed to do majority of this retrofit just by googling and reading. But I’ve bumped into an issue that’s beating me.
I brought genuine bi xenon’s complete and led rear lights to go with it. I programmed the led rear lights in first using number plate lights as drl’s, also coding out other rear side lights and disable bulb check.
My car is a e87 facelift with frm2.
I proceed to fit the bi xenon’s last night. After checking all the wiring and what’s needed additional wiring etc.
Added the additional earth using OEM earthing point, and re pinning high to shutter. So the wiring is all correct. plugged in and with the ignition on the angel eyes work perfect. The manual adjust works perfect. The dipped xenon works perfect and high beam shutter works perfect. So everything working as I wanted it.
Switch the engine on and the xenon’s flicker constant. Sometimes they flicker constant, sometimes they flicker and go off and sometimes they flicker and then work fine.
What additional coding do i need to do?
I’m surprised they worked first time like that without coding for shutter or anything like that.
I still need to swap shutter wire pin 5 and side light pin 1 over so that side lights have correct watts. Do I need to code this? Do I need to re pin the frm too? Or just swap headlight connector pins and then code side lights to high beam wire etc?
How can this be done. Help would be much appreciate as I need the lights working. the flickering is annoying me considering they work ignition on.

Any help would be great. Thank you
Tom

E87//120D_Tom

Re: Bi-Xenon retrofit issue

Post by E87//120D_Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 pm

This is urgent, as not able to drive the car at night so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I’m located in Norfolk!
I don’t understand why the xenon’s worked anyway without coding $522 to VO as well?
obviously I have load of dash errors and error codes at the minute. Thanks

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 pm

E87//120D_Tom wrote:This is urgent, as not able to drive the car at night so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I’m located in Norfolk!
I don’t understand why the xenon’s worked anyway without coding $522 to VO as well?

You could private message bjt who’s a clever forum member and I believe well versed on this subject.

To be honest you created this problem and going into anything with only 80% of the knowledge isn’t going to end well.

You could always change back to your original headlights until you find someone who can help you do the job properly.

Good luck.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

E87//120D_Tom

Post by E87//120D_Tom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:01 am

Twenny wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 pm
E87//120D_Tom wrote:This is urgent, as not able to drive the car at night so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I’m located in Norfolk!

You could private message bjt who’s a clever forum member and I believe well versed on this subject.

To be honest you created this problem and going into anything with only 80% of the knowledge isn’t going to end well.

You could always change back to your original headlights until you find someone who can help you do the job properly.

Good luck.
Cheers buddy, I have got it working this morning. Figured out how to use ncs dummy so that made it straight forward. Been using ncs expert all this time and struggling with the translating haha.
I’m not sure exactly what did it, but disabled lots of bulbs checks and altered some pulse width modifications.
I have done the job properly, I realised this was a go big or go home job so wanted to get it all done in one stint and found out everything I needed to do. In all the guides online it doesn’t mention anything about disable low beam checks or what I could find anyway!
but it’s all sorted now. Everything working spot on. Thanks for your guidance

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Good you got it sorted. As you found out the PWM and bulb checks applied to the halogen lights cause problems when xenons are fitted.

When you code $522 to VO and reset FRM to defaults, all those things are disabled automatically, no need to change the settings individually.
You also would get the correct rear light and high beam behaviour.

More info in this thread if you need it.
https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=90909
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Where did you get the parts for the additional wiring?

I've looked on eBay and it would come to £73, which is ridiculous considering bjt paid around £26 from BMW?

I've contacted BMW too for a quote..
2006 130i manual :)

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes ebay is expensive for small wiring parts, Cotswolds should be much cheaper.
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Boombap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Boombap » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm

bjt wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Yes thankfully only cost £20.33 from them

Might send you a PM when I begin the wiring as I've never done any wiring before but doesn't look too difficult. Any special tools required?
2006 130i manual :)

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Boombap wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm
bjt wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Yes thankfully only cost £20.33 from them

Might send you a PM when I begin the wiring as I've never done any wiring before but doesn't look too difficult. Any special tools required?
Just a crimping tool to join some of the connectors onto the wires.

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”