F20 changes to lights when exporting from UK to Continental Europe

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster

paulbr

F20 changes to lights when exporting from UK to Continental Europe

Post by paulbr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi all,

I am a current owner of a RHD (UK) pre-LCI F20 with xenon (option 522) and adaptive (option 524) headlights, as well as LED taillights.

I might move to continental Europe in the near future, and am considering taking my F20 with me as I love the car, it has only limited mileage done and I know its history - not too much bothered with the disadvantage of having a RHD car in a LHD country.

However, if I would export/import the car from the UK/to continental Europe, I will need a continental-European vehicle approval and registration, which requires - amongst others - vehicle lights to meet the situation of driving on the righthand side of the road.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has any insights into the extent the following things could be solved via coding (if so, what items need to be changed) or would require 'hardware' changes:

- adjust xenon headlights for driving on the righthand side
- change adaptive headlights for driving on the righthand side
- swap rear fog and reverse lights
- automatic high beam headlights control settings (option 5AC)

?

Any other considerations (one thing I noted is that when I change unit settings from MPH to KMH, the cruise control speed display keeps showing MPH)?

Many thanks,

Best regards,

Paul

paulbr

Re: F20 changes to lights when exporting from UK to Continental Europe

Post by paulbr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am

Having done some further research it seems that front light behaviour/functionality could likely be changed via coding only.

However, the tail lights have the red fog light currently on the driver side and white reversing light on the passenger side - these would need to be swapped to meet regulations on the continent.

Realoem shows different tail light part numbers for the left and right units on LHD models vs RHD but maybe the specific fog light reflector can simply be changed?

Does anyone have any experience with removing the red piece of plastic from the driver side tail light and inserting it on the passenger side (if possible at all) and subsequently coding the behaviour of the tail lights to reflect the swap (i.e. left one would switch on/off when pressing rear fog light button and right one when reversing)?

Many thanks.

herx
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by herx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Not answering your questions per se but on a similar note: having done the opposite (importing a car from mainland Europe to the UK) one extra thing you need to factor in are the front wipers.
LHD cars wipe inversely to RHD hence wipers on the continent do not fit UK cars and vice versa. Get at least one spare set
Now: 116i E81 N43 manual gearbox 121bhp (fast!)
Past: VW Polo 1.4 Mk4 79bhp (slow)

paulbr

Post by paulbr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Great suggestion, thanks, I was unaware of the fact that the front wiper blades differ on the same model RHD vs LHD.

paulbr

Post by paulbr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Does anybody on this forum has any experience with the coding bit / questions as per initial post?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”