E87 xenon to adaptive bi-xenon headlights.

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 xenon to adaptive bi-xenon headlights.

Post by redwizard »

Your FRM2 may code for adaptive xenons - I don't know.

Here is the data plate from my FRM3 "Max"
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

m2fast4u

Post by m2fast4u »

About my module,I looking on web and nothing can find about adaptive lights.Maybe hardware can tell me when I open module box?Is there some difference in eeproms,chips...?Can I damage my module if I ask official dealer to coding adaptive lights on my car?Or to try myself to coding with some software?
Thanks u mate for that sticker,anyway I will looking to find module as that if mine cant be coding for adaptive lights....
I found this difference on web about frm3 max and frm3 basis module.Maybe I need to open my module to look inside...
Image Image

redwizard

Post by redwizard »

Not a lot of point in opening up an FRM, there's allways going to be differences in chips and layout depending on version and age.

There is no harm in trying to code in the adaptive option with your FRM2 - it might work, might not. If it doesn't and you still want to fit the facelift adaptive set, then just go and get an FRM3 "Max" - it will still need coding, though.
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

m2fast4u

Post by m2fast4u »

Ok mate,many things is now clear.Anyway,how will going procedure with inpa tool to coding this ahl?I know is very complicated for sure,but if u can help me how to thats be great.Maybe have similar topic on forum about that?Thanks

redwizard

Post by redwizard »

I can't help you out with any coding as I haven't done any, sorry.

Maxx72

Post by Maxx72 »

Hi! I'm from Russia sorry for errors )
I made this procedure: pre-facelift non-adaptive ->> facelift adaptive on E87 130 2007
It took a few days on service station. It was a headache for workers ) Had to redo the wiring, re-PINining and and re-encode all units to facelift, and now on diagnostics my car is facelift )

1. Your FRM1 I think does not suitable for facelift adaptive headlights (have no hardware for adaptive HL). your number doesn't match the catalog but is close to 61 35 6 987 999
Number for adaptive pre-facelift is 61 35 9 128 185.

But for facelift I bought used FRM2 from car with AHL Support: it also doesn't match the catalog but it close to 61 35 9 204 540 with Option S524A (AHL)Image
I'm not saying that this is the only way.

m2fast4u

Post by m2fast4u »

Thanks Maxx72,that is good info to know mate.I try also to find some of that two modules now and then to made coding on car.U have xenons before u add adaptive?Do u know what wires u repin?Thanks

Maxx72

Post by Maxx72 »

m2fast4u wrote:Thanks Maxx72,that is good info to know mate.I try also to find some of that two modules now and then to made coding on car.U have xenons before u add adaptive?
Yes, I had xenons. By the way the taillights dont work )
m2fast4u wrote: Do u know what wires u repin?Thanks
Sorry no, I'venot delved into it.

m2fast4u

Post by m2fast4u »

Hi again,
How u solve problem with tail lights?U need to add from facelift model?

m2fast4u

Post by m2fast4u »

Hi again,in my case i add new module frm2 ahl,made pin change and program it with ncs,but still cornering not working.I not yet do vin change in frm2,winkfp not accept my zusb.All other work,but now have 4 errors in frm2:

E R R O R M E M O R Y
---------------------------------------Date: 15.11.2013 14:42:20
ECU: FRM_70
JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: FRM_70
-------------------------------------------------------------RESULT: 4 error in error memory !
-------------------------------------------------------------E59A Telegramm yawing rate timeout
Error counter: 1
Mileage 130800 km
Battery Voltage 12.14 Volt
sensor voltage 0.00 Volt
No signal or value
Test conditions fulfilled
Error present now and already stored
Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up
Error code: E5 9A 64 01 3F DE AC 00
-------------------------------------------------------------9CC0 Communication with StepperEngineBox rigth disturbed
Mileage 130800 km
sensor voltage 0.00 Volt
No signal or value
Error code: 9C C0 64 01 3F DE AC 00
-------------------------------------------------------------9CBF Communication with StepperEngineBox left disturbed
Mileage 130800 km
sensor voltage 0.00 Volt
No signal or value
Error code: 9C BF 64 01 3F DE AC 00
-------------------------------------------------------------E59C Telegram PT-CAN steering angle Timeout
Mileage 130800 km
sensor voltage 0.00 Volt
No signal or value
Error code: E5 9C 64 01 3F DE AC 00
================================================== ===========

and this in IF memory

I N F O R M A T I O N M E M O R Y
---------------------------------------Date: 15.11.2013 14:42:58
ECU: FRM_70
JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: FRM_70
-------------------------------------------------------------RESULT: 1 error in error memory !
-------------------------------------------------------------9315 ALC system defective
Mileage 130800 km
sensor voltage 0.00 Volt
Implausible signal or value
Error code: 93 15 68 01 3F DE AC 00
================================================== ===========

Can someone help me what to do next with this problem?Thanks

BMW-Fun

Post by BMW-Fun »

Tell me, please, how was the problem solved? Everything is exactly the same for me. Car E87 Pre LCI, xenon headlights installed from the factory. Now I have installed adaptive xenon headlights LCI, FRM3 Max Brose, connected all the wiring and encoded $524 (CAS, NFRM), than, with empty .MAN FRM and DSC. But adaptive light does not turn. Errors in Rheingold is the same: 009315, 009CBA, 009CBF, 009CCO, 009CC3, 00E59C

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

BMW-Fun wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:32 pm
Tell me, please, how was the problem solved? Everything is exactly the same for me. Car E87 Pre LCI, xenon headlights installed from the factory. Now I have installed adaptive xenon headlights LCI, FRM3 Max Brose, connected all the wiring and encoded $524 (CAS, NFRM), than, with empty .MAN FRM and DSC. But adaptive light does not turn. Errors in Rheingold is the same: 009315, 009CBA, 009CBF, 009CCO, 009CC3, 00E59C
When you say "connected all the wiring" what do you mean exactly?

The pinout for adaptive headlights is very different from normal xenons at both the headlight side and FRM side - if you didn't buy the official retrofit kit (which I think sold out years ago anyway) there's a fair amount of re-pinning to do and you'll also need to make a handful of wires from scratch because the redundant wiring isn't up to the task.

If you've plugged the lights in without making any changes it wouldn't surprise me if you've blown up your new FRM; pin 11 on normal xenons is a levelling signal wire to the FRM, on adaptives it's a 12v ground...
E81 130i | Build Thread

BMW-Fun

Post by BMW-Fun »

I found the cause of the errors 9CC0 and 9CBF myself. The problem was that all the wiring on my car from the headlights was already done, so I thought that everything was in order. I checked the power for SMC blocks, plus it was supplied, but I checked the minus only later and this was my mistake. In my car, PIN 11 on the headlamp connector was connected to X14260 PIN 17 and 30 on the FRM to control vertical adjustments on non-adaptive xenon. I made a wire break PIN 11 at the headlights and connected to minus. The SMC blocks are now working, but I still get the error - "E59C Telegram PT-CAN steering angle angle Timeout" is not signal to the JBE block. Maybe there is another place where I can get a PT-Can Hihg and PT-Can Low connection?
Block DSC and KOMBI i already encoded, did not help.

Also, I tried to connect another FRM3 Max Kuester, having previously encoded it for my car, but I get exactly the same error - there is no connection FRM with JBE.

Information for those who will be wondering, as I did before, whether the Max Kuester unit will work on the E87. Often, on the Internet, you can see information that the unit is suitable for the E81, E82, E88 and E87, E90, but this is not so. FRM3 Max Kuester was produced specifically for bodies E81, E82, E88. The unit also works great on my E87, but only the control of 2 power windows works, since the unit is made for two door cars.

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

You need to make the JBE connection yourself as the wires won't be present at all. The official way is to tap the CANbus wires coming from the JBE. I'm using Posi Taps, part no EX-135R.

Add new wire to FRM X14260 pin 43 > route to JBE > tap blue/red wire from JBE X14271 pin 1 (PT_CAN_H)
Add new wire to FRM X14260 pin 44 > route to JBE > tap red wire from JBE X14271 pin 2 (PT_CAN_L)

Remember they're signal wires so need to be twisted together to reduce crosstalk :)

This is a pinout I've put together comparing all three headlight connectors - I wasn't going to share it until I'd had a chance to finish the job and test everything but thanks to lockdown that's not happening for a while. Hopefully it helps illustrate the different connections between xenon and adaptive xenon as there's quite a few!

E81 130i | Build Thread

BMW-Fun

Post by BMW-Fun »

Maybe I put it wrong. I did this a long time ago - I laid two wires from pins 1 and 2 of the JBE block, twisted them, as I said earlier, connected it to the X14260 PIN 43 and 44 of the FRM block, but I get an error "E59C Telegram PT-CAN steering angle Timeout" due to which the adaptive light does not work .

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”