M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mr Kirk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Mr Kirk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:22 pm

cl10uds wrote:Been checking for the Amber bulbs to come back in stock with ABD for a while, anyone know of any other stockists? Pretty hard to find!
I've been checking everyday too.

Mr Kirk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Mr Kirk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Just emailed them.

They said back in stock 2-3 weeks.

cl10uds
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by cl10uds » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Top man cheers, didn't reply to me!
Current: 2017 M140i 5dr Shadow Edition | Mineral Grey/Black/Orbit Grey | Sports Auto | MPE

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 am

I installed my 382 Twenty20 Cree LEDs from ABD, but I discovered that the OE amber bulb had the locating pins offset, whereas the LED amber bulb from ABD had the pins aligned with each other. The stop light and fog/reverse lights were OK. I emailed ABD yesterday and am awaiting their response. Here's a pic of the LED and OE (on the right) bulbs. MY car is a 2014 F20 M135i:

Image

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Tom314 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 am

Hoss wrote:I installed my 382 Twenty20 Cree LEDs from ABD, but I discovered that the OE amber bulb had the locating pins offset, whereas the LED amber bulb from ABD had the pins aligned with each other. The stop light and fog/reverse lights were OK. I emailed ABD yesterday and am awaiting their response. Here's a pic of the LED and OE (on the right) bulbs. MY car is a 2014 F20 M135i:

Image
Just out of curiosity did you try to fit them anyway? I was wondering if they fit anyway.
Annoyingly I can't find my original lamps so I can't check whether they are also offset.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:35 am

Tom314 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 am
Hoss wrote:I installed my 382 Twenty20 Cree LEDs from ABD, but I discovered that the OE amber bulb had the locating pins offset, whereas the LED amber bulb from ABD had the pins aligned with each other. The stop light and fog/reverse lights were OK. I emailed ABD yesterday and am awaiting their response. Here's a pic of the LED and OE (on the right) bulbs. MY car is a 2014 F20 M135i:

Image
Just out of curiosity did you try to fit them anyway? I was wondering if they fit anyway.
Annoyingly I can't find my original lamps so I can't check whether they are also offset.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hi Tom

Replacing the OE amber bulb was the first one I tried. The 382 bulb doesn't engage correctly in the bulb carrier and as such wouldn't make an electrical connection. The bulb will also fall out of the carrier. The response from ABD is that I need 581 Twenty20 Cree amber bulbs (which have offset locating pins) and I'm in the process of sorting out something with them. FYI, I note that ABD currently has a 10% discount on those bulbs.

Regards

Ian

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Tom314 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 am

I was just wondering whether the carrier supports both. I realised why I couldn't find the original amber bulbs for mine, it takes clear ones. Another difference pre-post LCI.
OP could you update the original post with info.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

Tom314 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 am
I was just wondering whether the carrier supports both. I realised why I couldn't find the original amber bulbs for mine, it takes clear ones. Another difference pre-post LCI.
OP could you update the original post with info.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yep. My OE indicator bulbs are amber coloured and my M135i is pre-LCI.

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by glen8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

Just to confirm that the pre-lci m135i requires offset pins for the amber bulb?

Have I got that right

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Tom314 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:37 pm

I think for the indicators.
Pre lci m135 requires amber lamp with offset pins (581)
Post LCI m135 and m140 requires lamp with non offset pins (382), whether white or amber is down to personal preference but I'd suggest amber.

But having someone confirm post LCI m135 is correct would be handy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:19 am

I can confirm that my 2014 (built Oct 2013) pre-LCI M135i has offset pins for the indicator bulbs. Both the brake and reverse/foglights have non-offset pins.

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by glen8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I've updated the guide, if someone can just confirm all is ok

Thanks

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Tom314 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Yep looks good to me, just need someone with a post LCI 135i to confirm that but is correct...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:50 am

ABD are now mailing me two 581 amber Twenty20 Cree LEDs. I'll put up some more info/pics when the LEDs arrive, which now takes almost a month to reach HM's former colony. :D

Hoss
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

M135i / M140i Rear LED Install Guide (Updated)

Post by Hoss » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 am

Just a further point to OP's excellent guide, with the pre-LCI M135i, I suggest the text be amended to read; either two pairs of 382 clear bulbs and one pair of 581 amber bulbs, or one pair of clear 382 bulbs, one pair of 382 red bulbs and one pair of 581 amber bulbs.

Perhaps a touch pedantic......

Post Reply

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”