Project Bi-Xenon Retrofit - Complete

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Project Bi-Xenon Retrofit - Complete

Post by danchapman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Well,

It's taken 2 days but me and my dad have got them done. Morimoto mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors fully retro fitted in standard Depo headlights. We made 3 steel brackets for each projector and they've pretty much fit like for like. There were a few snags on the way getting them correctly lined but the results are excellent.
Just been to get them aligned ready for some photos and possibly a video tonight.

My 1er has looked very sad for 2 days, like she'd be in an accident haha! But I'm very very pleased with the results. These will even be fantastic with standard H1 halogen bulbs :)

Stay tuned!

E81 118D | Black Sapphire | M Sport | 18" 208's | Comfort Pack | Front+Rear PDC | Rear **SPAM** Glass | Pro HU | Alpine Upgrade | Lemon Leather | Heated Seats | Cruise | Depos | 6000k Angel LEDS | 4300k HIDS

skuid87
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Project Bi-Xenon Retrofit - Complete

Post by skuid87 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Nice.. looking forward to the pics!

IMO the Bi-Xenons with the angel eyes are one of the nicest looking features of the car!

seazer
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by seazer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 pm

id be interested to see this

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by danchapman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm ordering some better quality hids, from hids4u as the one I currently have is bodged together from bits off eBay!

Also the drivers projector needs sorting as the beam cut off is bowed :( common problem with these apparently so I shall see what I can do, plus I'll borrow my dads slr camera for the shots :)

E81 118D | Black Sapphire | M Sport | 18" 208's | Comfort Pack | Front+Rear PDC | Rear **SPAM** Glass | Pro HU | Alpine Upgrade | Lemon Leather | Heated Seats | Cruise | Depos | 6000k Angel LEDS | 4300k HIDS

monkeyurine

Post by monkeyurine » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 am

and...no pics

podsquad

Post by podsquad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:28 am

Any chance of some images, I am considering doing the retrofit myself.

Cheers

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by danchapman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 pm

They will be coming back off tomorrow to sort the bowing out with one of the beams.

HID planet are fantastic for help regarding these.
Once I've put the washers between the lens and the bowl tomorrow I'll go out with a decent camera and get some pictures :-)

Won't be long guys!

podsquad

Post by podsquad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Nice one, look forward to seeing the result!

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Project Bi-Xenon Retrofit - Complete with Pictures

Post by danchapman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Right,

Sort of fixed the bowing issue, it's hard to tell until it becomes night and then it's too late to do any work. But they are a lot better then they were :)

If you do this mod, I've had to modify my Morimoto Mini H1s by putting washers behind the lens (gives the blue hue on the cut off) and also have had to straighten out the shield to stop the bowing and also paint the rear of the shield to stop light reflecting into the midnight sky! (HID Planet is your friend when it comes to these things)

So without further ado, here they are. Not perfect but I'm not stripping my bumper off a 4th time. Some will argue, including myself, that they are perfectly fine and do their job, which they do. It's hard knowing they're not 100% perfect that's all!

Passenger side needs rotating clockwise slightly. But sharp none the less.

View from inside the car.

This is the lane to my dad's house in Devon, low beam

Full beam.

The projectors are Bi-Xenon and the solenoid is simply hooked up to my full beam wires so I effectivly have 4 full beam lights which is fantastic :)

I know some won't like this but it's a much cheaper alternative to the OEM set-up costing me less then £350 including the Depos.

Thanks for looking :)

sonicvanman
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sonicvanman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Sorry for being a dum ass, can you explane what Bi-xenon are & what you have done?

Im guessing its HID kits to both low & high beam with some flaps fitted by you self to alternate between high & low beam? or am i wrong.

cheers

P.S they look awesome, i want
Last edited by sonicvanman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by danchapman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:06 pm

sonicvanman wrote:Sorry for being dum ass, can you explane what Bi-xenon are & what you have done?

Im guessing its HID kits to both low & high beam with some flaps fitted by you self to alternate between high & low beam? or am i wrong.

cheers

P.S they look awesome, i want

Google The Retrofit Source (TRS) and you shall see my friend!
Basically, they are different projectors built into my Depos. I took the old projector out and replaced with one from TRS with customer made brackets and it gives you that effect :) And yes, the new projectors I've fitted are Bi-Xenon with the shutter in them.

The Depos still look like a set you'd buy off the shelf :)

sonicvanman

Post by sonicvanman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 pm

How easy is this to do? Im guessing you need some good knowledge to tackle something like this?

Both my mrs on her Copper S & mates ST have xenons & im wanting them more & more & this would be quality.

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by danchapman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

It's about 7/10 on the difficulty scale.

The projectors I bought (Morimoto Mini H1) are nearly a perfect fit but my dad made me up some brackets for them to fit solid, got them lined up and boom. Finished :-)

The good thing about the depos are you can take out the old projector without having to put the unit into the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seazer
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by seazer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 pm

danchapman wrote:It's about 7/10 on the difficulty scale.

The projectors I bought (Morimoto Mini H1) are nearly a perfect fit but my dad made me up some brackets for them to fit solid, got them lined up and boom. Finished :-)

The good thing about the depos are you can take out the old projector without having to put the unit into the oven.

right so let me get my head around this....

you got depos and fitted hid kit to the normal dipped beam.

and removed the projector from the depos and fitter the bi-xenon one in its place?

i must admit its a very smart idea. tempted to do it myself. how hard is it to remove the projector from the depo?

you should of done a how to.

danchapman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by danchapman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Yes, all I've done is swapped the standard depo projector for a better quality projector.

I was going to do a 'how to' but once you look at the back of the depos, you'll see how it easy it is. Basically remove 3 nylon nuts and the standard projector pulls out.

The hardest part is making the brackets, my dad made mine out of steel so they're solid, it takes a little time playing with the new projectors to get them level.

All in all it's taken about 3 days to complete but that's been at a leisurely rate and me taking them apart again to modify them!

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”