LED Interior Lights, Tinted Windows & waiting for HRF headlights. Need advice on where to code.

Fancy some Angel Eyes, want to get rid of that yellow glow, want info on LED's, got a problem with your headlights, get your answers here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Granitk26
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

LED Interior Lights, Tinted Windows & waiting for HRF headlights. Need advice on where to code.

Post by Granitk26 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:03 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't been a member of this forum for too long but you guys have made me start spending too much money on my car already :x I've only done two mods so far; I got my windows tinted today (I know some of you will cringe at that :lol: ) but I really think they have made my car look much better. I also ordered a 10 pack of LED lights from BMW and fitted them in today, and I must say they have made a massive difference! The interior looks much more modern now and I love the way the car looks when I unlock it, especially with the door handle lights. The only thing that is missing at the moment are my Xenon headlights, but I should have them soon! I did quite a bit of research and after seeing Joe's lights I decided to opt for HRF. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing my headlights to send them off and I really wanted the LCI headlights but I couldn't find them for a decent price anywhere. HRF will supply brand new LCI headlights and customise them with Bi-Xenon projectors, angel eyes and an LED eyebrow. I know where I'll go to get them fitted but where would I be able to get someone to code them for me to run as DRL? Really have no clue lol (first car)

Here is a photo of the exterior when the car is unlocked with the LED interior lights. Forgive me for the bad quality lol

Here are a few pics showing the tints. The back windows were done as Limo tints and the front windows were done at the lightest level.

This is what it looked like without the tints:

A bit boring really.

When I fit the xenon headlights, I will post a few pictures of the final product :D

BMW 120d M Sport
Sparkling Graphite E81 120d |M Sport|

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: LED Interior Lights, Tinted Windows & waiting for HRF headlights. Need advice on where to code.

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:14 am

Anything other than factory tint on the front windows is illegal. Just so you know. Anything BACK of the B Pillar can be tinted to your hearts content but anything forward of the B pillar other than factory is illegal but you'll get away just fine with those as they're quite light and they look even lighter against the limo tint on the rear.

Granitk26
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: LED Interior Lights, Tinted Windows & waiting for HRF headlights. Need advice on where to code.

Post by Granitk26 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:Anything other than factory tint on the front windows is illegal. Just so you know. Anything BACK of the B Pillar can be tinted to your hearts content but anything forward of the B pillar other than factory is illegal but you'll get away just fine with those as they're quite light and they look even lighter against the limo tint on the rear.
Yeah that's what I was told so I decided to get them done as light as possible. What's the latest on your lights, have you got them back yet? I need to find a place where they'll be able to code mine once I get them.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Granitk26 wrote: Yeah that's what I was told so I decided to get them done as light as possible. What's the latest on your lights, have you got them back yet? I need to find a place where they'll be able to code mine once I get them.
Yep, back, fitted, still condensating! More info here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=78705&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You'll get away with your tints on the front as they're light but just be wary as they're not legal.

What would you need to code? All you'd need to do is code sidelights as DRL and change the brightness :).

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Granitk26 wrote: Yeah that's what I was told so I decided to get them done as light as possible. What's the latest on your lights, have you got them back yet? I need to find a place where they'll be able to code mine once I get them.
Yep, back, fitted, still condensating! More info here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=78705&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You'll get away with your tints on the front as they're light but just be wary as they're not legal.

What would you need to code? All you'd need to do is code sidelights as DRL to have the sidelights on all the time and change the brightness :).

Granitk26
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Granitk26 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:

What would you need to code? All you'd need to do is code sidelights as DRL to have the sidelights on all the time and change the brightness :).
Thanks! But how will I do that? Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to take it somewhere to get it done? I want the LED eyebrow and angel eyes to run as DRL if that's possible. Will they run on the Auto setting?

Granitk26
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Granitk26 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:

That's awful mate. Why don't you send your original halogens? For £80 it's not a bad shout :)

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Granitk26 wrote:Thanks! But how will I do that? Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to take it somewhere to get it done? I want the LED eyebrow and angel eyes to run as DRL if that's possible. Will they run on the Auto setting?
With the lights in position Auto, they will function as they did with Halogens. I.e. if the lights are off, the only the front sidelights will light up IF coded to do so.
With the lights in Position 0 (off), only the Sidelights (DRL) at the front will light up IF it is coded to do so.
With the lights in Position 1 (sidelights), all the sidelights around the car will light up.
With the lights in Position 2 (Dipped Beam), the sidelights and dipped beam will light up.

Tell HRF to wire the eyebrow to the angel eyes (which I'm sure they will do regardlss).

Yes, you can do it yourself but you need the coding app and coding dongle. If you post in here: viewforum.php?f=78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with your location. Maybe someone close to you can do it for beer tokens or free even!

I don't want to send the original halogens because what if he turns around and says again the problem is with the lights and plus one of my halogens has a broken top mounting, one has an obscurator and the other doesn't. I had a smash with a trailer doing 2mph that resulted in LOTS of damage to my car (wing, headlight bracket, headlight, arch liner, splash guard). Trailer had NOTHING at all. So I bought one off eBay to match from a car that was breaking but they sent the wrong one. I just kept it and fitted it as I knew I had the HRF lights and it's been fine ever since (in terms of the normal Halogens - Recently bought some upgraded bulbs for them too just in case they need to go back in).

Granitk26
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Granitk26 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Seems pretty straight forward tbh. I will ask the garage that is fitting my lights if they'll be able to do it otherwise I'll have a go myself. Hopefully I don't mess anything up LOL. Damn, you've had a really hard time with your lights, must be so stressful :x I wish I could give you some advice but I literally know nothing about these things since I've only been driving for 3 weeks LOL.

Here are some pics of my interior with the LED lights, I don't feel like getting out of my car at all anymore :lol:

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Interior LED's look good. I'm sure your garage can code the DRL's in :).

Yeah stressful but I think I'm getting to the end of the saga!. Made lots of holes in the light caps and it seems to be working so far! Need to test it properly in the rain but so far so good *fingers, eyes, toes, arms, legs crossed*!

Return to “Interior/Exterior Lighting”