JB4 or JB1 or PPK or Custom

Get more out of your engine by remapping, tuning & chipping

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

steve1477
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

JB4 or JB1 or PPK or Custom

Post by steve1477 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am

Firstly I have a 60 plate E82 N55 135i DCT.

I want some more power now but not looking to upgrade anything other than a charge pipe and induction kit. I currently have a standard exhaust but the mid box replaced with a Y- pipe.

I was looking at getting a JB4 but realised id never use it to its full potential.

Is the JB1 map the equivalent to the stage 1 map on a JB4? Is the JB1 safe as it just adjusts boost,timing and fueling? The JB1 looks simple to install.

What would I gain with a PPK map?

Would someone like Jason @ BW Chiptune be able to put a custom map on?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: JB4 or JB1 or PPK or Custom

Post by Mike_RS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm in the same current situation and have been researching a hell of a lot lately on this very subject!

I have a 2010 N55 DCT 135i and managed to pick up a JB4 fairly cheaply, I was just going to run the JB4 alone and call it a day however as we have the DCT box running a piggyback tune like a JB4 can have fairly disastrous consequences on the clutches. As the torque is increased by the JB4 and the signal manipulated so the ECU is happy the clutch plates are not under full hydraulic pressure which can cause slippage.

There a few advantages of running a JB4 over an MHD flash which are covered on this page http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43151 if you wanted to run a JB4 I wouldn't do so without an MHD back end flash. I understand this changes the parameters of the ECU, one of the advantages is the ECU will tell the TCU to apply max hydraulic pressure to the clutches. This should prevent slipping under full throttle. Unless your running a bigger turbo the set up of JB4/MHD BEF should be fairly reliable.

If you don't feel there is much advantage of running a JB4 then I would suggest starting with an MHD stage 1 or 2 flash (Depending on your mods) as this can be done fairly cheaply/ quickly from your driveway and the MHD software increases the hydraulic pressure so you wont smoke your clutches.. Most people are happy with this set up.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

steve1477
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steve1477 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

I never gave the gearbox a thought if i'm honest, I just assumed that either the gearbox would be strong enough to handle more power as they were fitted to the 'M' models or maps were suited regardless of the gearbox. I had thought about MHD but iv'e heard some horror stories of crashes mid flash and causing lots of problems to get it rectified :shock:

Any thoughts on the PPK flash or JB1?

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

If you buy yourself a cheap battery charger the chances of bricking the ECU is minimal. MHD are continuously updating their maps/ releasing new features so your probably best going down this route. The PPK gains are quite modest in comparison to a MHD map, the benefit of flashing your own maps is they can be removed when you take the car in for service works, sell it etc. Flashes do leave DME traces and FASTA logs, the only benefit I see of going down the PPK route is if you have a warranty and don't want to void it.

I don't know much about the JB1 to be honest so I couldn't comment on this. Even with a JB1 I would still perform the MHD back end flash.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

steve1477
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steve1477 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Ok thanks for the advice, I will have a look at MHD. I have a C-Tek AGM charger so that area is covered!

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”