Post by Blind Pugh » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am

GeoffCollins wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 am
Blind Pugh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am
GeoffCollins wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 am

Are you running an uprated FMIC?
Yup - I had one on my m135i [Wagner Comp evo 2] - only changed it once I ran my Jb4 at higher boost psi with octane booster ie map 5 and map 7. Heatsoak was very noticeable. From my experience of Jb4 m135i in UK climate OE FMIC is fine upto ~ 16psi.

It's worth noting that p/backs work differently to remaps as they fool DME into providing more boost. Whereas OBD remaps are more sophisticated, in that can get similar gains c/w lower boost levels. Heat management is a common issue though, hence higher flo DP will always be a given - to keep EGT's in check and reduce thermal stress on turbo - I'd be willing to bet FMIC upgrade is 'CYA' by tuners and slant to get us to spend more £££ on bolt-ons.....
Looks like I might have to invest in a front mount :lol:

And what is the risk of it turning your car into a large brick, just don't want to get it wrong :lol:
Risk is low as

1. you can log data with MHD app on yr android to see how yr car is behaving.
2. Heatsoak is well monitored/managed by ECU

If you experience a lot of heatsoak - which I doubt here in the UK and want to mitigate ECU intervention then you can decide if you want to install upgraded FMIC or stay as-is.

Be warned thou - not all FMIC are created equally some may weight a ton, some have great heat transfer but rubbish pressure delta across inlet to outlet so whilst yr IAT's look great the lag will grate after a while....
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: F Series MHD - Open Beta

Post by GeoffCollins » Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am
GeoffCollins wrote:
Blind Pugh wrote:

Yup - I had one on my m135i [Wagner Comp evo 2] - only changed it once I ran my Jb4 at higher boost psi with octane booster ie map 5 and map 7. Heatsoak was very noticeable. From my experience of Jb4 m135i in UK climate OE FMIC is fine upto ~ 16psi.

It's worth noting that p/backs work differently to remaps as they fool DME into providing more boost. Whereas OBD remaps are more sophisticated, in that can get similar gains c/w lower boost levels. Heat management is a common issue though, hence higher flo DP will always be a given - to keep EGT's in check and reduce thermal stress on turbo - I'd be willing to bet FMIC upgrade is 'CYA' by tuners and slant to get us to spend more £££ on bolt-ons.....

And what is the risk of it turning your car into a large brick, just don't want to get it wrong :lol:
Risk is low as

If you experience a lot of heatsoak - which I doubt here in the UK and want to mitigate ECU intervention then you can decide if you want to install upgraded FMIC or stay as-is.

Be warned thou - not all FMIC are created equally some may weight a ton, some have great heat transfer but rubbish pressure delta across inlet to outlet so whilst yr IAT's look great the lag is will grate after a while....
Thanks for the help :) I was thinking of buying the Amazon Fire 7 tablet and leaving it mounted in the car for gauges, any idea if it will support the MHD app and cable? Can't find out anywhere if it will! Sorry to be a pain!
M135i (2014 Manual) - Custom Stainless Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, M4 Front Pads, MeisterR Coilovers, Cades Bern Wheels, Reiger Diffuser, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills, M4 Mirror Caps

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am

GeoffCollins wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 am
Blind Pugh wrote:
GeoffCollins wrote:

Risk is low as

Be warned thou - not all FMIC are created equally some may weight a ton, some have great heat transfer but rubbish pressure delta across inlet to outlet so whilst yr IAT's look great the lag is will grate after a while....
Thanks for the help :) I was thinking of buying the Amazon Fire 7 tablet and leaving it mounted in the car for gauges, any idea if it will support the MHD app and cable? Can't find out anywhere if it will! Sorry to be a pain!
If yr Amazon Fire 7 can see google play store then you should be fine to download MHD app. Cables - you need OBD/KDAN to USB cable in from OBD port via a normal OTG cable to connect to tablet.
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
GeoffCollins wrote:
Blind Pugh wrote:

Risk is low as

Be warned thou - not all FMIC are created equally some may weight a ton, some have great heat transfer but rubbish pressure delta across inlet to outlet so whilst yr IAT's look great the lag will grate after a while....
AW M2 DCT

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am
What K+DCAN cable did you use, and will it cancel the warning light from the high flow cat?
M135i (2014 Manual) - Custom Stainless Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, M4 Front Pads, MeisterR Coilovers, Cades Bern Wheels, Reiger Diffuser, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills, M4 Mirror Caps

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

Srjlewis17 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
Been running this for a few weeks. Highly recommended

Stage 2+ is an absolute animal
How is it going at the moment? Found any flaws yet?

Srjlewis17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Srjlewis17 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi, still running well. Using the stage 2+ 102 map. Very strong and smooth.

Bluebird wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am
Srjlewis17 wrote:

2014 M135i F21 6MT AW - M4 grilles - Alcantara LCI steering wheel - M Performance shifter - BBS SR's - GazP Splitter - Forge charge pipes - Eibach Pro Kit - Armytrix turbo back with DP - MHD stage 2+ - Gladen BMW201 Extreme & Mosconi DSP

Bluebird
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bluebird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Srjlewis17 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Bluebird wrote:
Srjlewis17 wrote:

Is that 102 RON? Where are you filling up with 102 RON? lol. Ever had it dyno'd?

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Bluebird wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm
Srjlewis17 wrote:

Bluebird wrote:

Is that 102 RON? Where are you filling up with 102 RON? lol. Ever had it dyno'd?
I have dragy ready to log some performance data for you....
AW M2 DCT

shrjun
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shrjun » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 am

Anyone here running the MHD beta for the N13 engine..thoughts please.
2014 F20 116i M sport manual HK audio 18" BBS CH-R Lightweight Performance front lip Storm motorwerks V2 titanium gear shift FTP motorsports intake and charge pipe Wagner Evo 2 Comp IC MHD S1

malcbo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by malcbo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 am

Hi,

I also went with MHD's solution and flashed the DME last weekend with Stage 1-RON98.
I've had more trouble purchasing the packs on Google Play than flashing the DME, but that's another story...

While the extra power and smoothness in power delivery are great (I prefer it to JB4 power delivery that was more on/off), I notice that the Sport Display on the screen now only shows torque going up to 400nm instead of 450nm (power tstill shows 320HP). Anyone else noticed the same?

Additionally, should I remove the flash before bringing the car in for service?

Cheers.
F20 M135i xDrive
ex-E39 M5

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 am

Bluebird wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm
Srjlewis17 wrote:
BB - UK 99RON ie TM99 and SVP seems to be able to cope with more aggressive timing adv and higher boost targets of 102RON OTS stg 2+ map. If you have MHD logging app and yr car is running smooth/consistent on 98 stg2+ OTS map ie delta actual v target is minimal and no timing pulls then you could give 102RON maps a try. Obvs, 102 OTS far more sensitive to fuel grade than 98 OTS
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 am

GeoffCollins wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm
Blind Pugh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am
What K+DCAN cable did you use, and will it cancel the warning light from the high flow cat?
Bimmergeeks K+DCAN cable is the one that MHD recommend as it cuts flash times in half apparently...
The BimmerGeeks Cable flashes twice as fast as standard cables, so yes the flash times will be half.......
A full flash back to stock takes around the same time like the initial MHD installation. Get yourself the Bimmergeeks cable and enjoy half flash times.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showp ... count=2290

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-pag ... -pro-cable
AW M2 DCT

Neil-D

Post by Neil-D » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:06 pm

malcbo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 am
Hi,

I also went with MHD's solution and flashed the DME last weekend with Stage 1-RON98.
I've had more trouble purchasing the packs on Google Play than flashing the DME, but that's another story...

While the extra power and smoothness in power delivery are great (I prefer it to JB4 power delivery that was more on/off), I notice that the Sport Display on the screen now only shows torque going up to 400nm instead of 450nm (power tstill shows 320HP). Anyone else noticed the same?

Additionally, should I remove the flash before bringing the car in for service?

Cheers.
I had the same issue. Took me about 5 days to resolve the google play errors.

Went with the same Map as well as I only use Vpower and that’s 99.

I’ll be flashing mine back to standard map for services. Don’t want any unwanted attention - I know they can find out if they want to look for it but would rather it that way.
That’s the good thing with MHD - 5 minutes and you’re back to a stock map yet all your settings are saved ready to flash it back.
Pre Lci EB M135i

LSD - MPE - MHD Stage 1

shrjun
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shrjun » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:15 pm

N13 engine beta but only stock map ( stage 0! ) - Wagner FMIC with FTP charge and intake pipes

decided to do a 4th gear WOT - but ran out of road lol
2014 F20 116i M sport manual HK audio 18" BBS CH-R Lightweight Performance front lip Storm motorwerks V2 titanium gear shift FTP motorsports intake and charge pipe Wagner Evo 2 Comp IC MHD S1

Return to “Engine Remapping/Tuning/Chipping”