Auto wipers and front parking sensors

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

Yuri

Auto wipers and front parking sensors

Post by Yuri »

Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn’t find an answer ,,

Anyhow I am new to BMW’s and I have noticed that my auto wipers are not auto as I have to turn on the auto wipers each time I get back into the car ,,
This is also the same with the front parking sensors , I have to turn them on each time as well ,,, wtf bmw ,,,?

Is it possible via coding to have them turned as default ??? So I don’t have to keep pressing buttons before I drive off .. ie turn off stop/start , turn on auto wipers , turn on front sensors ,
Car is a 2016 f20 118d
Thanks guys

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Auto wipers and front parking sensors

Post by tweeky »

When you turn the auto wipers on they do a wipe would you want them dragged across your dry screen ?
As for front sensors if there came on automatically they'd drive you potty in stop start traffic. The rears only turn on, on selection of reverse.
Like anything Auto you've still to turn them on.
In the Automatic car you've still got to select Drive or reverse.

Think of turning them on as preselecting them. Ive had both on my last two BMW's and think pressing a button or moving a lever no real hardship.
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support,Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.
Gone 2015 F22 Melbourne Red 220D loaded with many extras.
Gone 2012 E82 Space Grey 118D Sports Plus standard spec.

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

On more recent BMWs the auto wiper setting is the first position, the first click, on the stalk, so technically you can leave them on auto. Though IMO this is retrograde in practice as you can't do an extra flick wipe without turning the wipers from auto to off, then the flick wipe, then back to auto. Whereas with the system that has the button on the end of the stalk you can just flick the stalk down to do an extra wipe while the wipers remain in auto.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

stevesurrey
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by stevesurrey »

As others said already I dont think having auto wipers and front PDC on constantly is a good idea but it is (or used to be) possible to reprogram car to remember the last setting of auto stop/start so that could be made to stay off even after an engine restart.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by padders »

The auto wiper function on all the BMWs I have driven is awful anyway. If there were an option to have de-specced it I would have so I don't see the issue there personally. Secondly like the poster above I am not sure why you would want front PDC on every time anyhow, you lose your drive screen and it screams at you if you are within 2 feet of anything. Pdc comes on automatically when you engage reverse which is helpful and if you have the front sensors you have the option to turn the steam off and on at will, win win to my mind
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, CarPlay etc etc
Now gone: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav

MyMlight
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MyMlight »

My previous car (Seat Leon) automatically enabled the auto wipers above 10mph (same time as auto locking the doors) and they worked perfectly.
The front parking sensors were always on too, but they never caused a problem in traffic.
Both systems work so much better than in any BMW I’ve had.

2016 M135i Auto

Yuri

Post by Yuri »

I hear what you guys are saying but other manufacturers
Can make cars with proper auto wipers ,, ie they only swipe if the
Windscreen has rain on it ,and don’t swipe a dry screen

Same with front parking sensors , most only work below 15mph
And if they are blipping in traffic you are way to close the the car in front ,,, now I have the bmw I have to drive into my garage half way in and stop, engage reverse gear and then back into drive - move forward using the sensors as a guide as I have a row of tool cabinets on the far wall and have to park very close to them so the swing down garage door clears the rear of the car,,, not a big deal but one day I will forget to do the stop reverse/ forward thingy and probably drive into the cabinets waiting for the parking beeps 😂

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by padders »

Can’t you just switch on the sensors with the button when you approach the garage? They are of no use to you once moving so save them for when you need them. They are called parking sensors because...
Current: M240i in MG with Cognac interior, Pro Nav, HK, Adaptive Shocks, MP-LSD, Sunroof, Active Cruise, CarPlay etc etc
Now gone: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav

Yuri

Post by Yuri »

padders wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 am
Can’t you just switch on the sensors with the button when you approach the garage? They are of no use to you once moving so save them for when you need them. They are called parking sensors because...
Hi padders , I take it you haven’t drove any other make of car with front sensors , as you would understand why BMW’s are not so good 😁

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by padders »

You are correct in that I just cant see why you would want them on the move*. Enlighten me.

ps as I noted above, I am with you all the way on the auto wipers being pants.

*I guess it would be useful for an Audi driver to know when he has got to the optimum 6" from the car in front when tailgating at 85mph in the fast lane lol.

tonirai
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by tonirai »

padders wrote:Can’t you just switch on the sensors with the button when you approach the garage?
Exactly. That's what I do everyday while parking in my box. Simpler than engaging reverse / back to drive (when you don't even need to reverse at all).

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky »

Can’t you just switch on the sensors with the button when you approach the garage
That's exactly what I do when parking up against any object be it car, wall or barrier.
Current 2018 F22 M240i Sunset Orange Black leather with lumber support,Pro Nav, Adaptive LEDs, HK, Sunroof F&R PDC.

Yuri

Post by Yuri »

tweeky wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Can’t you just switch on the sensors with the button when you approach the garage
That's exactly what I do when parking up against any object be it car, wall or barrier.

I guess that’s i what I will have to do now 😓
Just saying if other manufacturers, German American jap
Even flipping french cars can manage to make front parking sensor that” just work “ without all the button pushing
Why can’t bmw ????

tweeky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by tweeky »

Move to one of the other manufactures that does what you want. Personally I'd take the pushing as button as a sacrifice to having the B58 engine any day

Yuri

Post by Yuri »

tweeky wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Move to one of the other manufactures that does what you want. Personally I'd take the pushing as button as a sacrifice to having the B58 engine any day
Grow up , every car brand has its good and bad points ,
I won’t change a car over parking sensors , But I will change the front sensors to some aftermarket ones that will work for what I want , simples really 😁

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”