Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Battery Charger

Post by rjwojcik »

I also use the CTEK MXS 5.0.

I have a couple of these extenders, so the charger stays in the garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Current:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

rjwojcik wrote:I also use the CTEK MXS 5.0.

I have a couple of these extenders, so the charger stays in the garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Might get one of these for mine. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

M135i N55 PWG ZF8
Ja50nK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ja50nK »

Or the Noco equivalent is generally cheaper. I've got one and it is great.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Sunset Orange LCI2 M140i Shadow Edition - Auto - 5 Door - MPE - Wagner 200 CPSI Sports Cat - Wavetrac LSD - Bilstein B16 DTC Coilovers - MST Intake - Williams Performance OCC - MHD Stg 2 - GazP Splitter / Skirts - Z-Performance 19" Flow Forged Wheels
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

Arrived today. Very happy with the service from Cotswold BMW eBay, the charger feels very well made and well worth buying imo if you're like me and don't use your car much especially more so with all the lockdownsl

I've just hid the lot under the bonnet and ran the extension wire up through the wipers so it's all out of sight and can't be tampered with.ImageImageImage

M135i N55 PWG ZF8
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 »

50pence wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 pm
RickN55 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:28 pm Also the BMW I read is set up for AGM batteries you don't have to select it like the CTEK one, it also charges 120AH batteries which I will need for the 120d as that is a AGM120ah. Pretty sure I read CTEK is only upto 110AH? (Maybe wrong as I only glanced quickly).
I thought the BMW one is simply the CTEK MXS 5.0 rebranded, I might be wrong though.

--
I don't think the BMW charger has a direct replica in the CTEK range. It's a 4.3 amp, as compared to the 3.8. 5.0, and 7.0 CTEKs and is unique is being able to charge both lead-acid and li-lion batteries, meaning that it's suitable across the BMW / Mini range. So whilst it is made by CTEX it's designed for BMW for them to be able to offer a universal charger for their range of cars.

Price-wise, from many BMW dealers it's not far off the price of the 5.0*, but in addition to having the eyelets included, the 5.0 also has cold charge and dedicated desulfation modes (in place of the li-ion capability). The 5.0 also, apparently, allows you to test your generator and starter motor. I've seen reports that the desulfication on the smaller CTEXs isn't up to much, but have no idea if that's true.

As eyelet can be bought separately at low cost, it's one of them really, either will do, and price-wise not a great deal in it. But unless you think the li-ion is going to come in handy, if you can get a deal on the 5.0, go for that.

*some sellers on ebay taking the p*ss - it shouldn't be more than 69 quid
F22 M240i 8AT
R1250GS TE Triple Black
CRF250L
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

Yes they are definitely different products just both made by CTEK. See pics the BMW has totally different options to the CTEK to select.
Not really sure which is the better one? Also it says it is 5V output on the back if I've read it correctly?

ImageImage
M135i N55 PWG ZF8
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 »

Just to add to the confusion, I believe the previous CTEX bmw branded charger was the mus 5.0, whilst CTEX used to sell a CTEX 4.3....
F22 M240i 8AT
R1250GS TE Triple Black
CRF250L
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

LiFePO4 batteries. What are they. Another term for AGM ?
marco_polo

Post by marco_polo »

No, completely different.

Half the size/weight, more robust, longer life, 3 - 4 times the cost.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

Octavius wrote:LiFePO4 batteries. What are they. Another term for AGM ?
Totally different to AGM according to the charging settings..Image

M135i N55 PWG ZF8
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

You learn something new every day.
Will have to do some reading up on them.
50pence

Post by 50pence »

moulin12 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 pm Just to add to the confusion, I believe the previous CTEX bmw branded charger was the mus 5.0, whilst CTEX used to sell a CTEX 4.3....
I did a bit of research last night after reading your previous post. Yes, there is an earlier BMW branded CTEK charger though it isn't a re-branded MXS 5.0, from pictures it doesn't have a specific AGM function, rather it has the "snowflake" cold weather function like the MXS 3.8 though it also has the "recond" function like the MXS 5.0.

The newer one, as per Rick's above, also doesn't have a specific AGM function, instead it has "normal" and "Li-ion" for both small and large batteries.

The question is whether this "normal" function is ideal for AGM batteries? As the MXS 5.0 features both normal and AGM functions.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy »

My understanding is the snowflake function is for AGM batteries. BMW suggest 14.8v for charging AGM batteries and the snowflake mode is higher @14.7v than normal mode so more suited. I have an email from Ctek technical support saying they would only use Recon mode if the battery shows signs of failing and is safe for AGM use. Some voltage details here from Varta showing 14.8v for the main charging stage who supply many BMW batteries: https://www.varta-automotive.com/bg-bg/ ... ar-battery
M140i, Mineral Grey
50pence

Post by 50pence »

Yes, CTEK say that the snowflake function on the MXS 3.8 is for normal batteries in cold weather and for AGM batteries.

Though the newer BMW branded one doesn't have the snowflake function or a specific AGM function.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl »

moulin12 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm
50pence wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 pm
RickN55 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:28 pm Also the BMW I read is set up for AGM batteries you don't have to select it like the CTEK one, it also charges 120AH batteries which I will need for the 120d as that is a AGM120ah. Pretty sure I read CTEK is only upto 110AH? (Maybe wrong as I only glanced quickly).
I thought the BMW one is simply the CTEK MXS 5.0 rebranded, I might be wrong though.

--
I don't think the BMW charger has a direct replica in the CTEK range. It's a 4.3 amp, as compared to the 3.8. 5.0, and 7.0 CTEKs and is unique is being able to charge both lead-acid and li-lion batteries, meaning that it's suitable across the BMW / Mini range. So whilst it is made by CTEX it's designed for BMW for them to be able to offer a universal charger for their range of cars.

Price-wise, from many BMW dealers it's not far off the price of the 5.0*, but in addition to having the eyelets included, the 5.0 also has cold charge and dedicated desulfation modes (in place of the li-ion capability). The 5.0 also, apparently, allows you to test your generator and starter motor. I've seen reports that the desulfication on the smaller CTEXs isn't up to much, but have no idea if that's true.

As eyelet can be bought separately at low cost, it's one of them really, either will do, and price-wise not a great deal in it. But unless you think the li-ion is going to come in handy, if you can get a deal on the 5.0, go for that.

*some sellers on ebay taking the p*ss - it shouldn't be more than 69 quid
There is a CTEK 4.3A version but for the US market.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”