Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

biggalot

Re: 120d Xdrive judder

Post by biggalot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 am

edbutler wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 am
Yes it may be worth a sticky; ill try to get more conclusive info. I've just had a new set of 4 Eagle F1's fitted, thinking the problem would resolve itself (as they have equal wear, so closer circumference ~1.2% on the stock 18's), but it got far worse! The car was constantly jolting - this is partly eased by enabling Dynamic DSC. My car was "Single Lady Owner" :lol: for its first 39,000 miles and the front tyre shoulders were heavily worn, so that suggests the tyre pressures were rarely checked so my actuator is probably knackered. :roll:

Its really unfortunate that the wheels aren't an 8J rim, as we could then fit 255/35 tyres and it'd be a perfect circumference match! My car behaved faultlessly when i put a set of equally worn 16" winter wheels/tyres on.

Im not bad with car maintenance, so i just managed to bag a 2nd hand XDrive Actuator on eBay for bargain price of £130. I think BMW try to charge ~£800!? Im going to rip it apart and hopefully recondition it with new gearing and will take photos to post along the way. I can then hot-swap them and hopefully sell on to another owner having the same issue.
edbutler, Interested to know if swapping out the actuator motor cured your judder/jolting under acceleration. I have a similar issue on my 64 plate 120d xdrive. Presented a hefty judder when i test drove it prior to purchase, dealer put 4 new star rated tyres on and seemed ok on second test run so went ahead with purchase. After a couple of days it was apparent problem was still there but just not as bad or as frequent. Feels like a mis-fire or a traction problem but car pulls like a train and traction light does not come on (even judders when traction is off). As its slightly intermittent now, feeling reluctant to take to the dealers (under warranty) just to be told 'we could'nt replicate the fault'.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 am

Kind of wished I had got the 125d now after reading this. It was to late to change by the time I found out. I was planing on keeping the car originally but in 2 years time when I’m 3 years into my agreement I think I will chop it in
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Why are BMW fitting staggered wheels/tyres to x-drive models if it's going to cause problems like this? Seems a massive oversight :S
Now: F21 M140i
My past BMWs: F21 M135i | F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm

I have to say that I never experienced this in the 3 years I had mine.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

lukedmartin88

Post by lukedmartin88 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Thought I'd write about my experience,

Bought a 2013 120d Xdrive three weeks ago, Drove it home from the dealership and noticed the shudder turned around and gave it back to the dealership for them to sort.

They had it for a little over a week (I weren't complaining, they gave me a brand new X1 M sport for the duration) They first thought it was the tyres, So we got 4 new ones, Issue was still happening. They then noticed a slight buckle in two of the alloys, So we got 4 new ones! Issue seemed to disappear.

This weekend we went on a long Journey and the issue was back! BMW have now had the car back in the workshop since yesterday, they've just called to say that the technician cant find a fault nor any issue luckily the aftersales manager took it out for a drive on the A14 and agreed that the issue is present. He says he puts money on it being the transfer box, he's asked the groups master technician to come over from another branch on Monday to take a look. (They can take their time on this one too, I have a new 118d as a loan!)

We shall see... three weeks of ownership and a weeks worth of enjoyment!

edbutler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by edbutler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

biggalot wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 am
edbutler wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 am
Yes it may be worth a sticky; ill try to get more conclusive info. I've just had a new set of 4 Eagle F1's fitted, thinking the problem would resolve itself (as they have equal wear, so closer circumference ~1.2% on the stock 18's), but it got far worse! The car was constantly jolting - this is partly eased by enabling Dynamic DSC. My car was "Single Lady Owner" :lol: for its first 39,000 miles and the front tyre shoulders were heavily worn, so that suggests the tyre pressures were rarely checked so my actuator is probably knackered. :roll:

Its really unfortunate that the wheels aren't an 8J rim, as we could then fit 255/35 tyres and it'd be a perfect circumference match! My car behaved faultlessly when i put a set of equally worn 16" winter wheels/tyres on.

Im not bad with car maintenance, so i just managed to bag a 2nd hand XDrive Actuator on eBay for bargain price of £130. I think BMW try to charge ~£800!? Im going to rip it apart and hopefully recondition it with new gearing and will take photos to post along the way. I can then hot-swap them and hopefully sell on to another owner having the same issue.
edbutler, Interested to know if swapping out the actuator motor cured your judder/jolting under acceleration. I have a similar issue on my 64 plate 120d xdrive. Presented a hefty judder when i test drove it prior to purchase, dealer put 4 new star rated tyres on and seemed ok on second test run so went ahead with purchase. After a couple of days it was apparent problem was still there but just not as bad or as frequent. Feels like a mis-fire or a traction problem but car pulls like a train and traction light does not come on (even judders when traction is off). As its slightly intermittent now, feeling reluctant to take to the dealers (under warranty) just to be told 'we could'nt replicate the fault'.
Gosh my apologies, i thought i'd replied months ago, but it mustnt have sent.

In short, i ordered a new motor and ripped it apart to find it was a powerful stepper motor directly mated to the actuator shaft. Therefore no cogs to wear out like the previous design. I replaced the motor anyway to no avail - shudder still there.

Tried new tyres (star rated) and they were slightly better. My winters are slightly better still (even wear and non-staggered size), but far from perfect - i have since given up unfortunately. I find hitting the DTC helps, so i often just do that. :(

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Hmm think mine maybe starting to play out these symptoms now and then, when crawling in traffic it feels as if its in the wrong gear and then jumps/stutters
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm
Yes, everyone with an xDrive has suffered this, they're a bit rubbish I'm afraid.

It's the tyres/transfer box. (Fitting different size tyres slowly winds up the £2,500 transfer box, until it fails).

viewtopic.php?t=89784
viewtopic.php?t=74501&start=15
viewtopic.php?t=86026
viewtopic.php?t=101189
viewtopic.php?t=76216

etc, etc.
Marco is this a common fault on x3/x5’s as well?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:38 am

No idea I'm afraid, ask me one about the 1 Series.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

mitford wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am
marco_polo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm
Yes, everyone with an xDrive has suffered this, they're a bit rubbish I'm afraid.

It's the tyres/transfer box. (Fitting different size tyres slowly winds up the £2,500 transfer box, until it fails).

viewtopic.php?t=89784
viewtopic.php?t=74501&start=15
viewtopic.php?t=86026
viewtopic.php?t=101189
viewtopic.php?t=76216

etc, etc.
Marco is this a common fault on x3/x5’s as well?
Happened on our X5, we needed a new transfer box at 51,000 miles. Apparently the gear inside the motor gets chewed up.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 pm

So the car came up with a drivetrain error today. Would the transfer box throw up this error? It hesitated on the motorway for about3 seconds at about 1500 rpm and then the error came up.

Anyway it’s booked in to the garage at the beginning of April now. Bit annoyed really it’s only done 10000 miles

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm

mitford wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 pm
So the car came up with a drivetrain error today. Would the transfer box throw up this error? It hesitated on the motorway for about3 seconds at about 1500 rpm and then the error came up.

Anyway it’s booked in to the garage at the beginning of April now. Bit annoyed really it’s only done 10000 miles
The Drivetrain warning could be anything tbh. I had one a couple of days ago and it turned out it was the EGR valve that needed replacing, there's currently a quality enhancement regarding it. I had it in the same day and back the following, I wouldn't put up with having to wait until the beginning of April, unless that's what you want.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

InvertedPanda

Post by InvertedPanda » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 am

I’m currently having the exact same problem with my 2013 M135i xDrive. Never noticed it before until I fitted some brand new MPSS for the summer. Then I started to notice it when crawling in heavy traffic and now I feel it in every gear on part throttle but not so much on full throttle.

So I can count on it being an expensive repair? *Sigh*.
Owner of a 2013 Sapphire Black F21 BMW M135i xDrive with adaptive suspension and MPSS.

edbutler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by edbutler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm

InvertedPanda wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 am
I’m currently having the exact same problem with my 2013 M135i xDrive. Never noticed it before until I fitted some brand new MPSS for the summer. Then I started to notice it when crawling in heavy traffic and now I feel it in every gear on part throttle but not so much on full throttle.

The problem is your tyres, not the Transfer Case. Its bloody ridiculous however that BMW allowed such a minuscule percentage between tyre sizes to cause problems - under 1%. Your car is juddering because its confused by the different wheel rotational speeds because the tyres are different sizes. BMW have specific star/asterisk marked tyres which are perfectly matched for this purpose. I would guess your old tyres complied with this, but the new ones didn't.

The Transfer Case on the 120d (i presume yours is the same) isn't the same as the old X3/X5's. Whereas they ripped apart the worm gear in their longitudinal torque modulation motor, our motor on the ATC35L transfer case is a stepper motor - so BMW fixed that issue.

I measured my tyres with a plumb line - marked the tyre at the top. Rolled the car 2 revolutions and checked again. The rear tyres had rolled over an inch further, meaning my tyres were about 1.4% out, despite them supposed to be the same (215/40/18 and 245/35/18)!

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

edbutler wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm
InvertedPanda wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:32 am

The problem is your tyres, not the Transfer Case. Its bloody ridiculous however that BMW allowed such a minuscule percentage between tyre sizes to cause problems - under 1%. Your car is juddering because its confused by the different wheel rotational speeds because the tyres are different sizes. BMW have specific star/asterisk marked tyres which are perfectly matched for this purpose. I would guess your old tyres complied with this, but the new ones didn't.

The Transfer Case on the 120d (i presume yours is the same) isn't the same as the old X3/X5's. Whereas they ripped apart the worm gear in their longitudinal torque modulation motor, our motor on the ATC35L transfer case is a stepper motor - so BMW fixed that issue.

I measured my tyres with a plumb line - marked the tyre at the top. Rolled the car 2 revolutions and checked again. The rear tyres had rolled over an inch further, meaning my tyres were about 1.4% out, despite them supposed to be the same (215/40/18 and 245/35/18)!
Seriously? I presume that's much less of a problem on cars without staggered set-ups (same tyre size all round)?
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”