Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

vded
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by vded » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 pm

When I made the subscription immediately sent me the latest update that has build number 7th February 2018.
I haven't flashed it yet, because in the weekend will be a new one and I'll go straight to it.
I know that 40$ is quite steep, but I can't communicate with the Chinese. I'm asking a thing and they're replying another. It was a headache every time I talked to them via e-mails.
Don't forget that the software subscription to AVIN is for all the future updates no matter the quantity of them.
For my occasion it was the only person that sent me instantly detailed manual on how to connect the camera to screen and make it work. It's not that I owed them and made the subscription but their professionalism won me as a customer.
BMW F20 (2015) 116i M-Pack

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 pm

vded wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 pm
When I made the subscription immediately sent me the latest update that has build number 7th February 2018.
I haven't flashed it yet, because in the weekend will be a new one and I'll go straight to it.
I know that 40$ is quite steep, but I can't communicate with the Chinese. I'm asking a thing and they're replying another. It was a headache every time I talked to them via e-mails.
Don't forget that the software subscription to AVIN is for all the future updates no matter the quantity of them.
For my occasion it was the only person that sent me instantly detailed manual on how to connect the camera to screen and make it work. It's not that I owed them and made the subscription but their professionalism won me as a customer.
Cheers, might sign up then and wait for the new update. Do you have a link for this, thanks for the response.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

vded
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by vded » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm

I'm sorry but it's not allowed to post the links for the software update. I hope you understand the reason.
BMW F20 (2015) 116i M-Pack

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 pm

vded wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm
I'm sorry but it's not allowed to post the links for the software update. I hope you understand the reason. Image
Can you private message it then :lol:
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BMW_120 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:27 am

Whoever has successfully installed the reverse camera, would you mind sharing how exactly you get access to the wires in the rear? Do you have to lift the car up? Remove X piece? Changing the reverse light with the camera is easy, but I struggle to find access to the cables so I can connect the wires.
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am

vded wrote:When I made the subscription immediately sent me the latest update that has build number 7th February 2018.
I guess you're right... So Where's the download link :)

But on a serious note, let us know what goodies the update brings.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MikeJM

Post by MikeJM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:21 am

Hi BMW_120,
Routing the cable for the rear camera is done through the near side rear light cluster housing.
Feed the cables into the rear light cluster housing and working from inside the boot open the toolkit access compartment and at the back you will see a large grommet.

Make a hole in this grommet and feed the cables from the light cluster housing into this.
The rest is straight forward, route the cable down the nearside of the car the the front.

I have previously posted descriptive instructions on fitting the rear camera including the correct colour connections.

Hope this helps
Mike

andru
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andru » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm

How's is everyone's unit working?

Mine died a death a week or so ago. The Android side of things just stopped working, I've been in touch with the seller and in broken English was advised to update the firmware. I did as instructed but it would not even boot into recovery from the card so it's totally U/S. He's going to let me know tomorrow at some time in the next curse of action, whether that be me sending it back or him just sending me a replacement due to the cost of sending back. I enjoyed the unit the short time I had it.

I'll let you know how things go once he gets back to me sometime tomorrow.
Estoril Blue M135i 2016

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Sorry to hear about your issue with your head unit. They seem like a decent bunch at carlife so hopefully they take care of you.

Mine seems to be holding up well. It has had the odd black screen now and again but turning the car off and on fixes it. I still haven't managed to get the Bluetooth settings up in the android settings, neither have I managed to get the sw keys to control Spotify. I find that all satnav apps are glitchy on the hu.. Even sygic, although it seems to be the fastest. However, I do find Google maps the slowest but most reliable.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to root the device in order to get rid of all the unnecessary apps and auto startup programs but I can't be bothered to sit uncomfortably in the car for whatever length of time it takes to do that. I do feel that rooting it will provide ways to improve it (or destroy it).

I could go on but I will keep it short. Lastly, a bit of dust has managed to get into the screen behind the glass and I'm worried that it may get worse.

All in all its a decent device and I don't regret purchasing it.

andru
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andru » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:27 pm

They have been really good and very quick in answering my questions etc so hopefully it will be sorted soon. I know it's not their fault and it's just one of those things that happen. I used Sygic as my main Sat Nav but never had any issues with it, black screen etc. I found Google maps okay well but a little slow when trying to change things, I put it down to the 1 gig of ram and the unit struggling. One the whole I've enjoyed using the unit and I hope they can sort me out someway or another so I can carry on with it or even the new gen 2 one.

I didn't know you could root these, have you a link for the instructions as I'd like to take read on what is involved.
Estoril Blue M135i 2016

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... s-t3673558

This thread isn't for the exact same device in our cars, but it seems to have the same specs and is also from avin. So the rooting process should be the same... I assume. The tools needed can be found in the thread. I do plan to follow those steps but I just don't know when.

BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BMW_120 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm

MikeJM wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:21 am
Hi BMW_120,
Routing the cable for the rear camera is done through the near side rear light cluster housing.
Feed the cables into the rear light cluster housing and working from inside the boot open the toolkit access compartment and at the back you will see a large grommet.

Make a hole in this grommet and feed the cables from the light cluster housing into this.
The rest is straight forward, route the cable down the nearside of the car the the front.

I have previously posted descriptive instructions on fitting the rear camera including the correct colour connections.

Hope this helps
Mike
Cheers Mike. Going to attempt this as soon as the weather is good enough not to freeze me to death :)
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

moghm

Post by moghm » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am

Hello,

Been reading this thread with a lot of interest. I have a dealer that is ready to ship the product to me for $465 / £335, and am happy with that price. He says it is for the F20 RHD 120d CIC on android 4.4. I have read all of this thread but have a few questions for which I was unable to find info for.

I want to be able to run torque on the screen while driving so assume bluetooth will have to be enabled and be connected to an OBD adaptor, guess torque wont read canbus directly through the head unit ? Also, a question is can my phone be connected to the stock bluetooth functionality of the BMW at the same time, so if a call comes in i can take the call. Guess what I am asking is if mutiple bluetooth connections can be enabled at the same time to different devices ?

I would also want to be able to run google maps offline, from what I gather its not a huge issue ?

4.4 does worry me a bit as that version is getting on. Anyone been able to upgrade that ?

Many thanks

andru
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andru » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:16 pm

skribbler1 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm
https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... s-t3673558

This thread isn't for the exact same device in our cars, but it seems to have the same specs and is also from avin. So the rooting process should be the same... I assume. The tools needed can be found in the thread. I do plan to follow those steps but I just don't know when.

Thanks for that, it makes interesting reading and I'll be sure to follow it.

As for my unit, the Android side is dead and I posted it off this morning. I tried to update the firmware to get it to reset but it would not boot from the sd card with the firmware on. When holding down the menu button to see the progress of update I had a error message saying 'No signal detected' Once I had shown carlife the video of that they instantly said to return it. Carlife have said they will repair it and return it in around a weeks time.

Hopefully they will put on the latest firmware when they return it and hopefully the problem will be finally sorted.
Estoril Blue M135i 2016

edbutler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by edbutler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 pm

moghm wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am

I want to be able to run torque on the screen while driving so assume bluetooth will have to be enabled and be connected to an OBD adaptor, guess torque wont read canbus directly through the head unit ? Also, a question is can my phone be connected to the stock bluetooth functionality of the BMW at the same time, so if a call comes in i can take the call. Guess what I am asking is if mutiple bluetooth connections can be enabled at the same time to different devices ?
Bluetooth OBD2 adapters will not work with this unit - the BT is incompatible. You'd need a WiFi adapter. I bought a cheap one, however it disconnects after a few seconds so is unusable - may be worth getting a half decent branded one if possible.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”