Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Falltrack

Re: Fitted this bad boy in my F20 yesterday :D

Post by Falltrack » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 am

How do you know if you have a gps antenna? I don't have nav but the shark fin antenna on the roof, thought maybe it's inside that or is that only if you have nav?

Here's my specs according to bimmer.work:

http://bimmer.work/vin/c677917e73e9765a ... 7776ff15e/

BMW_120
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BMW_120 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Falltrack wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 am
How do you know if you have a gps antenna? I don't have nav but the shark fin antenna on the roof, thought maybe it's inside that or is that only if you have nav?

I think it's only if you have navigation already, but don't quote me on that.
Either way it won't matter if you're looking to install one of these aftermarket devices, they come with their own GPS antenna.
2013 120dA F20 SL Alpine White

Falltrack

Post by Falltrack » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:26 pm

BMW_120 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Falltrack wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 am

I think it's only if you have navigation already, but don't quote me on that.
Either way it won't matter if you're looking to install one of these aftermarket devices, they come with their own GPS antenna.
Cheers. Yes I thought of using the device antenna at first but read reports of slow gps locking and had an idea of using a gps cable splitter instead should there be an internal gps antenna.

Dave-H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave-H » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 pm

I’m really tempted by one of these but the reports of poor sound quality put me off; have they resolved these issues yet?

I’ve got an October 2016 F21 M140i with Business Nav (EBT/Nat as standard) and Harmon Kardon. I generally plug my iPhone into the usb and use the native Spotify app. The cosmetic improvement and bigger screen attracts me but will the sound quality and Spotify integration by a step backwards? TIA
2016 M140i, Manual
2015 Yamaha R1

vded
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by vded » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:39 am

Dave-H wrote:I’m really tempted by one of these but the reports of poor sound quality put me off; have they resolved these issues yet?

I’ve got an October 2016 F21 M140i with Business Nav (EBT/Nat as standard) and Harmon Kardon. I generally plug my iPhone into the usb and use the native Spotify app. The cosmetic improvement and bigger screen attracts me but will the sound quality and Spotify integration by a step backwards? TIA
You can always play music through the standard iDrive.
That's how I'm using it too.
BMW F20 (2015) 116i M-Pack

Ifinnan

Post by Ifinnan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:07 am

H i all,

If anyone is planning on selling theirs can you let me know please? TIA

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am

Some top info in this thread!

I have been wondering about changing my car to get nav and Spotify to work on the screen (I have a pov media spec f20), but this could be a solution... ( I believe even the idrive doesn't work well with Spotify on Android phones?)

I am only interested in the nav/googlemaps and Spotify and as others have mentioned, sound quality concerns me... Those who play through the stock car, are you on the pro set up? I don't mind plugging my phone in if I can get same quality as I have now, and control from the nav screen..?

Tia!

Dave-H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave-H » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm

vded wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:39 am
Dave-H wrote:I’m really tempted by one of these but the reports of poor sound quality put me off; have they resolved these issues yet?

You can always play music through the standard iDrive.
That's how I'm using it too.
Thanks
2016 M140i, Manual
2015 Yamaha R1

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Sound quality through head unit is poor, but you can still play Spotify from your phone through aux on idrive. You can get a Bluetooth aux adaptor to stream Spotify from your phone. I can't control Spotify with steering wheel keys. I think sw key control is only possible if you have native Bluetooth on idrive. If your head unit can access WiFi either through mobile hot-spot from phone or a WiFi device then you can control Spotify on the head unit screen.
Karlos28 wrote:Some top info in this thread!

I have been wondering about changing my car to get nav and Spotify to work on the screen (I have a pov media spec f20), but this could be a solution... ( I believe even the idrive doesn't work well with Spotify on Android phones?)

I am only interested in the nav/googlemaps and Spotify and as others have mentioned, sound quality concerns me... Those who play through the stock car, are you on the pro set up? I don't mind plugging my phone in if I can get same quality as I have now, and control from the nav screen..?

Tia!
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:50 pm

AHH I get you, so the headunit is using phones hotspot and playing Spotify through the cars stereo? Does this solution restore the sound quality to stock? As it is playing through the stock headunit? Do the volume controls not work either??

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 pm

Karlos28 wrote:AHH I get you, so the headunit is using phones hotspot and playing Spotify through the cars stereo? Does this solution restore the sound quality to stock? As it is playing through the stock headunit? Do the volume controls not work either??
Well, the head unit acts as a controller for the Spotify music playing through your phone. So the music still goes from phone though aux to idrive. As the music is playing from idrive the sound quality is great. The head unit can act as the control and volume control still works as normal.

You can play Spotify directly from the head unit but I find the music quality very poor.

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

AHH so your phone has to be plugged in to the aux input?

Be good if you could plug the screen output into the idrive aux input!?

skribbler1

Post by skribbler1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 am

For good quality audio your phone does have to be plugged into aux, unless you have native Bluetooth streaming.

I think it is possible to plug the head unit aux OUT into idrive aux IN. In fact I believe one or two members here had to do that in order for the head unit audio to work. Though I'm not sure what difference in sound quality that makes for the head unit. I was going to give it a try once but didn't want to go through the hastle of removing everything again.

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:23 pm

I'd be keen to plug the screen out into the aux, that would be ideal if the sound quality is good, can anyone who has this arrangement comment?

Cheers Skribbler, everything else running ok?

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Also, if the screen is connected to the car via aux, and mobile providing hotspot, am I right in thinking the shortcut (softkeys is it??) On the dash will still work for calling people with my phone connected to the car via Bluetooth as it is now?

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”