Brembo pads done after one track day

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

f219500
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by f219500 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am

Happens on every topic I post and yeah not terribly expensive will just have to do what you say, would I put it in sport + then turn it all off of sport then turn it all off ?
63 plate 116i stage 2 remap, milltek large bore downpipe, high flow sports cat, non resonated catback, GFB DV+, piper cross airfilter,M135i Brake kit, Michelin pilot super sport x4, M4 LCA And 2017 ECU.

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 8521
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 am

f219500 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am
Happens on every topic I post and yeah not terribly expensive will just have to do what you say, would I put it in sport + then turn it all off of sport then turn it all off ?
Comfort throttle [ie sport on chassis only and or DTC fully off] may help as comfort setting is more linear and progressive than hair trigger sport+ throttle responses
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by git-r2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am

f219500 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am
Happens on every topic I post and yeah not terribly expensive will just have to do what you say, would I put it in sport + then turn it all off of sport then turn it all off ?
Sport plus then press and hold the traction control button until it says DSC off. What some people fail to understand is that it’s not just about stopping the wheels spinning, it stops the car from rotating or sliding by braking individual wheels - very clever system and works well.

Using this technique I can usually get myself black flagged within about 30 seconds lol

I do a lot of track days and pad wear is fine. I just wish the same could be said for tyre wear!
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

User avatar
GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:55 pm
Location: Leatherhead M25J9

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by GeeDee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Not overriding comments already made and not suggesting this would have prevented serious wear but did you bed in your new pads properly?
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by NISFAN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm

OP, have you considered upgrading to the blue M Sport brakes? If you do regular track days, the more powerful brakes will come in handy. Not too expensive an upgrade either as it is all plug n play.
From memory, the stock single piston rear pads are quite small, so likely to wear pretty quick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

f219500
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by f219500 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm

brakes where worn in accordingly and i have looked everywhere i would think they would sell the blue kit and cant find any, Any suggestions?
63 plate 116i stage 2 remap, milltek large bore downpipe, high flow sports cat, non resonated catback, GFB DV+, piper cross airfilter,M135i Brake kit, Michelin pilot super sport x4, M4 LCA And 2017 ECU.

tommylee
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 am
Location: Cambridge

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by tommylee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Forget calipers and pads for now. Just get proper pads such as Pagid RS, Performance Friction, Carbon Lorraine, Carbotech etc, and some proper fluid like Motul RBF. This will see you through many trackdays and extra experience before you want to consider changing for a bbk.
M2

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by godzilla » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am

git-r2 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am
f219500 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am
Happens on every topic I post and yeah not terribly expensive will just have to do what you say, would I put it in sport + then turn it all off of sport then turn it all off ?
Sport plus then press and hold the traction control button until it says DSC off. What some people fail to understand is that it’s not just about stopping the wheels spinning, it stops the car from rotating or sliding by braking individual wheels - very clever system and works well.

Using this technique I can usually get myself black flagged within about 30 seconds lol

I do a lot of track days and pad wear is fine. I just wish the same could be said for tyre wear!
Are the driving modes different on a 116i? As you probably know, on the M-Lites, DTC Off is it's own driving mode and it doesn't matter whether you had previously selected Sport + or any other mode before holding the button down.
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by git-r2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm

godzilla wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am
git-r2 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am
f219500 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am
Happens on every topic I post and yeah not terribly expensive will just have to do what you say, would I put it in sport + then turn it all off of sport then turn it all off ?
[/quot!
Are the driving modes different on a 116i? As you probably know, on the M-Lites, DTC Off is it's own driving mode and it doesn't matter whether you had previously selected Sport + or any other mode before holding the button down.


I didn’t know that, thanks :)

They may well be different, on some modern cars you can’t turn it off altogether, hopefully not the case with BMW.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by godzilla » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Thankfully it does turn off altogether, but you are stuck with Comfort dampers, steering and throttle map. I would much prefer being able to custom choose each setting, but I guess that’s what full fat M cars are for!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by git-r2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm

godzilla wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm
Thankfully it does turn off altogether, but you are stuck with Comfort dampers, steering and throttle map. I would much prefer being able to custom choose each setting, but I guess that’s what full fat M cars are for!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm... so I can minus a half second from my lap times die to the comfort setting on the dampers then ;)

Guessing you read about the dampers and throttle being in comfort when dsc off?

- I remember Marco saying that with dsc off it was only the throttle that was set to comfort but dampers still in sport.

When I change into dsc off I think I can feel the car firming up... just goes to show what my feel is worth :oops:
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by godzilla » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm
godzilla wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm
Thankfully it does turn off altogether, but you are stuck with Comfort dampers, steering and throttle map. I would much prefer being able to custom choose each setting, but I guess that’s what full fat M cars are for!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm... so I can minus a half second from my lap times die to the comfort setting on the dampers then ;)

Guessing you read about the dampers and throttle being in comfort when dsc off?

- I remember Marco saying that with dsc off it was only the throttle that was set to comfort but dampers still in sport.

When I change into dsc off I think I can feel the car firming up... just goes to show what my feel is worth :oops:
Actually, you were right, DSC Off mode does indeed turn dampers to stiff, steering to heavy and throttle to Comfort.
However it doesn't make any difference whether you had previously selected Sport + or any other driving mode. DSC Off is its own driving mode.
Fantastically well put together table here:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536&p=1170384#p1170384
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Brembo pads done after one track day

Post by git-r2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 pm

godzilla wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm
git-r2 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm
godzilla wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm
Thankfully it does turn off altogether, but you are stuck with Comfort dampers, steering and throttle map. I would much prefer being able to custom choose each setting, but I guess that’s what full fat M cars are for!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm... so I can minus a half second from my lap times die to the comfort setting on the dampers then ;)

Guessing you read about the dampers and throttle being in comfort when dsc off?

- I remember Marco saying that with dsc off it was only the throttle that was set to comfort but dampers still in sport.

When I change into dsc off I think I can feel the car firming up... just goes to show what my feel is worth :oops:
Actually, you were right, DSC Off mode does indeed turn dampers to stiff, steering to heavy and throttle to Comfort.
However it doesn't make any difference whether you had previously selected Sport + or any other driving mode. DSC Off is its own driving mode.
Fantastically well put together table here:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536&p=1170384#p1170384
Yeah there's some great stuff on here, there's a fantastic temperature one too. I couldn't believe how hot they run and how well they manage their temp on track, never thought it possible.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”