Drivers assistant pack

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Post Reply
Ben_ten
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Drivers assistant pack

Post by Ben_ten » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

Anyone spec’d the driver assistant pack?

I have as I like the idea behind it especially having something similar on the company pool Volvo which I found was handy on longer drives

Be good to hear people thoughts on it if you have it or have used it

User avatar
AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:29 pm
Location: North London

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by AndytheGreek » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Two things I didn’t option on my M2

Comfort Access to avoid easier theft
Driver assistant so I don’t get the annoying bleeps/vibrations if changing lanes without indicating. The system also primes the brakes if you drive closely behind other cars. Good for some but not if you drive in a sporty/spirited manner.
2017 M2

User avatar
JamieHRC
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 am

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by JamieHRC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

I have it on the 220d M sport gran tourer and I could happily live without it.. steering wheel vibrate annoys me and the emergency breaking needs to be set at lowest possible sensitivity or it brakes if a car pulls out a mile down the road (exaggeration.. but only a little bit) sure it may save me one day but I manage very happily in the M140 without it :)
2017 M140i SE
2017 220d M Sport Gran Tourer

Ben_ten
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by Ben_ten » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm

I have no actually removed it off my order as the more I thought about it the more I thought why pay for it

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by Peter9588 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 pm

AndytheGreek wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm
Two things I didn’t option on my M2

Comfort Access to avoid easier theft
Driver assistant so I don’t get the annoying bleeps/vibrations if changing lanes without indicating. The system also primes the brakes if you drive closely behind other cars. Good for some but not if you drive in a sporty/spirited manner.
Classic BMW driver ;)
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon, Electric Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights

XWV
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by XWV » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 pm

I have it on the 140 having had ACC on my previous F31, where I found the safety aspect invaluable on long business journeys as a side effect of the ACC behaviour. My thinking was that £390 was probably worth it if it reduced the chance of an accident due to tiredness or a lapse in concentration.

However I wouldn't spec it again and couldn't recommend it to anyone. It's camera based rather than radar, so is ineffective in poor conditions when you're most likely to need it, and is so passive that I think I could be asleep at the wheel and still be more likely to brake in time to avoid a collision than it would be. JamieHRC's comments about the 2GT are familiar to me - we have a 2AT as well which is also overly sensitive - but this is completely the opposite extreme.

The lane departure thing can be turned off independently of the collision avoidance, and mine has been since I collected the car so I can't say whether that actually works if you want it to.
2017 Melbourne Red F20 M140i SE auto

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 am

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by mitford » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am

XWV wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 pm
I have it on the 140 having had ACC on my previous F31, where I found the safety aspect invaluable on long business journeys as a side effect of the ACC behaviour. My thinking was that £390 was probably worth it if it reduced the chance of an accident due to tiredness or a lapse in concentration.

However I wouldn't spec it again and couldn't recommend it to anyone. It's camera based rather than radar, so is ineffective in poor conditions when you're most likely to need it, and is so passive that I think I could be asleep at the wheel and still be more likely to brake in time to avoid a collision than it would be. JamieHRC's comments about the 2GT are familiar to me - we have a 2AT as well which is also overly sensitive - but this is completely the opposite extreme.

The lane departure thing can be turned off independently of the collision avoidance, and mine has been since I collected the car so I can't say whether that actually works if you want it to.
When you say ACC I assume you mean active cruise controll? I have it on my 1 series and it’s done via a radar sensor and it’s been flawless in all weather. You can’t spec it on the m135/m140’s though.

In regards to the emergency brake function I can turn off my ACC with a button below the steering wheel on the right I wonder if it turns off the emergency braking as well?
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

spl23
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:10 am

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by spl23 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am

mitford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am
When you say ACC I assume you mean active cruise controll? I have it on my 1 series and it’s done via a radar sensor and it’s been flawless in all weather.
Mine has been mostly flawless, but not in "all weather" - in the recent heavy snow, it took about 10 minutes of driving for sufficient snow to build up on the radar sensor to knock the system out completely!
mitford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am
In regards to the emergency brake function I can turn off my ACC with a button below the steering wheel on the right I wonder if it turns off the emergency braking as well?
The button on the right of the dash turns off the emergency braking; that's what it's for. To turn off the ACC itself if you want old-fashioned non-radar controlled cruise, you just hold down one of the range select buttons on the wheel for a couple of seconds.
2015 F20 LCI 125i

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 am

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by mitford » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am

spl23 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am
mitford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am
When you say ACC I assume you mean active cruise controll? I have it on my 1 series and it’s done via a radar sensor and it’s been flawless in all weather.
Mine has been mostly flawless, but not in "all weather" - in the recent heavy snow, it took about 10 minutes of driving for sufficient snow to build up on the radar sensor to knock the system out completely!
mitford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am
In regards to the emergency brake function I can turn off my ACC with a button below the steering wheel on the right I wonder if it turns off the emergency braking as well?
The button on the right of the dash turns off the emergency braking; that's what it's for. To turn off the ACC itself if you want old-fashioned non-radar controlled cruise, you just hold down one of the range select buttons on the wheel for a couple of seconds.

The emergency braking must be linked into the ACC as when I used the switch below the steering wheel and went to use ACC it said the ingnition needed to be switched off and back on again to get it working. Or maybe it was just st a coincidence?
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

spl23
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2254
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:10 am

Re: Drivers assistant pack

Post by spl23 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 am

mitford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am
The emergency braking must be linked into the ACC as when I used the switch below the steering wheel and went to use ACC it said the ingnition needed to be switched off and back on again to get it working. Or maybe it was just st a coincidence?
Yes, if you have ACC, the emergency collision avoidance uses the same radar sensor. As far as I know, the switch below the steering wheel just disables the collision avoidance, but it leaves the radar available for the ACC - I think what you saw was just a coincidence, but I'll try it on mine later. You certainly shouldn't need to turn the ignition off and on again to re-enable the radar if you've turned it off with that switch; a message telling you to turn the ignition off and on usually indicates that there is a fault indication on the radar, such as having a bunch of snow all over it... ;)
2015 F20 LCI 125i

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”