Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Bumper Scrape

Post by neilmcl » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Unfortunately I picked up a bit of a scrape by coming in a tad too close to a fence. As you can see on the face of it it doesn't look too bad but it seems enough for my local BMW bodyshop to want to charge me £300 to fix it. Anyone know any decent repairers in either the Nottingham or Peterborough areas that could sort this out cheaper.

Sytners gave me the above quote which was just to repair/repaint that corner but I also took it to Sycamores in Peterborough who said they'd probably want to remove and respray the whole bumper, not had their quote yet but I can imagine what it''l be like.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

Pep675cc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Bumper Scrape

Post by Pep675cc » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Try a local smart repairer. I noticed yesterdsy a scuff on my rear bumper. I always reverse park but last weekend rolled into a space forward to pick a parcel up on a retail park. So I guess someone has come out and given.me a kiss.........
M140i Melbourne Red, driver comfort pack, heated seats, PDC rear, sport auto box,Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, black kidney grills, black mirrors, black fins
420d Msport convertible with all the goodies for those sunny days 8)

Simon Site Manager
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Simon Site Manager » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 am

I would think that £300 is about right, I had a graze on my front bumper after taking out a cyclist (not sure what was going on with the anti-collision, but I suppose it could have been worse). Got a quote off Chipsaway which was £200 and the damage was not as bad as yours. I didn't want to lose the car whilst in the spray shop. Any way, the guy did a reasonable repair but I was not happy with the finish (skin of orange, it was a cold day). I only paid the guy £150 and the paint will need flatting at some time in the future. I would go with the quote you have for a pristine job.

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 am

I did get a quote for around £160 at Scratchmaster in Nottingham but the guy did mention about it being difficult to get an exact paint match for Alpine White as some batches tend to be more "yellow" than others. Not sure if he was just trying to get his excuses in first, if you know what I mean.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 am

Just an update, I also took the car to BMW's body shop in Peterborough and they quoted me a little over £320, just £20 more than Sytners however rather than paint the corner area, Sycamore's quoted for the removal and respray of the entire bumper. Their paint & materials cost was only a few quid more that Sytners. Just goes to show the quality of some of these approved body shop estimators, tbh I've never been that much of a fan of the Sytner body shop since they moved from their old site, I'm sure they're not the same people.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”