Bluetooth google maps sound?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

rsk289

Bluetooth google maps sound?

Post by rsk289 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Newbie here - just bought a '64 reg F20 M135i, and very nice it is too. One thing, though - it does not have Satnav, which doesn't bother me as I use google maps on the phone. I've paired and connected my iphone 8, and my wife's iphone 5S, but I can't get the voice instructions to sound over the radio in the car. Is this possible, or not? When connected, the iphone stops 'speaking' to me and says it's giving audio over bluetooth, but nothing happens on the car system, the radio just continues to play without breaking for announcements. Any ideas?
Thanks
Roger

fez_7
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Bluetooth google maps sound?

Post by fez_7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 pm

rsk289 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm
Newbie here - just bought a '64 reg F20 M135i, and very nice it is too. One thing, though - it does not have Satnav, which doesn't bother me as I use google maps on the phone. I've paired and connected my iphone 8, and my wife's iphone 5S, but I can't get the voice instructions to sound over the radio in the car. Is this possible, or not? When connected, the iphone stops 'speaking' to me and says it's giving audio over bluetooth, but nothing happens on the car system, the radio just continues to play without breaking for announcements. Any ideas?
Thanks
Roger
You won’t be able to hear anything streaming over Bluetooth whilst listening to the radio. You would have to switch to Bluetooth in the Multimedia section on iDrive instead of Radio. To then listen to music you would have to stream music via Bluetooth which should then be interrupted by the voice instructions.

Unfortunately the radio and Bluetooth streaming are separate from each other. Bluetooth telephone calls are a little different though since an incoming call would take priority over everything else if that makes sense.

If you had Navigation installed (which you can retrofit) then the voice instructions can interrupt the radio.
2013 116D EfficientDynamics

rsk289

Post by rsk289 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for that, all makes sense. Not sure I'm brave enough to start retrofitting though - I'm an old-school carburettor-type when it comes to cars, electronics scares me off!

Roger

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 am

Just listen to internet radio then, job done ;)

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”