2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Hesitation/Jerk under light acceleration

Post by 2Stevo2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Chaps,

Looking for a bit of advice.

2016 BMW 120d with 15k on the clock

Recently it has developed what I can only describe as a hesitation or jerk when applying the accelerator lightly whilst moving and at relatively low revs. So far it has only manifested itself in gears 5 to 8 and below 2000rpm.

Its definately not turbo lag and is getting more frequent by the day.

Any ideas?

Its had an 'EGR enhancement' done semi recently by BMW whilst in for a service and know it could be related however I would assume that would throw up a fault code and cause the engine light to come on.

Any help would be much appreciated 👍
F20 120d M-Sport Auto plus extras

Triple S
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Hesitation/Jerk under light acceleration

Post by Triple S » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Could be an EGR issue but if you have been doing short journeys more likely the DPF needs a proper regen. Give it a dose of Millers and a good run at above 2500rpm to clear things out.
Now - March 17 F20 M140i Auto - Melbourne Red - Black Dakota - Black Kidney Grills - MPE plus Carbon Fibre Tips
Gone - Sept 12 F20 125d Auto - Estoril blue - Black Dakota

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Triple S wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm
Could be an EGR issue but if you have been doing short journeys more likely the DPF needs a proper regen. Give it a dose of Millers and a good run at above 2500rpm to clear things out.
Come to think of it, my commute has changed over the last few weeks.
I have been doing relatively short journeys, in slow traffic so i think ill try just that 👍

Got it booked into the dealer next Thursday if it persists.

Will update over the next few days

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

2Stevo2 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm
Triple S wrote:
I have been doing relatively short journeys, in slow traffic so i think ill try just that 👍

Did you have any joy getting this fixed? I have the exact same problem on my 2016 car 10000 miles on it which throws up the drivetrain error every couple of days and it’s getting progressively worse.
Mines booked in for the beginning of April
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

mitford wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am
2Stevo2 wrote:
Triple S wrote:

Did you have any joy getting this fixed? I have the exact same problem on my 2016 car 10000 miles on it which throws up the drivetrain error every couple of days and it’s getting progressively worse.
I THINK i have. I stuck a bottle of Millers DPF cleaner in the fuel tank and went a few long, hot runs at high revs and its not done it since however, it was very intermittent in the 1st place!

Currently trying to make it do it but so far its playing ball. U should try that first.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 am

2Stevo2 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am
mitford wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am
2Stevo2 wrote:

I THINK i have. I stuck a bottle of Millers DPF cleaner in the fuel tank and went a few long, hot runs at high revs and its not done it since however, it was very intermittent in the 1st place!

Currently trying to make it do it but so far its playing ball. U should try that first.
Ok cheers mate, mines doing it every journey now But not flagging up a drivetrain error every time
F20 120d xdrive auto alpine white, interior comfort pack, adaptive suspension, sun protection glass, ferric grey alloys, active cruise controll, front & rear parking sensors

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Have you had the "so called" EGR enhancement??

Triple S
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Triple S » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Glad to hear you are sorted but I would suggest you invest in some Millers Ecomax and use it on every fill up. I have used it fo many, many years in all my diesels, my 1998 Octavia is still going strong at 245000 miles and my 2007 vRs at close to 131000 miles still has no problems despite it’s supposedly problematic DPF. My previous BMW 125d was faultless in the four an a half years I had it, I can only remember it doing 2 ‘hot in traffic’ regents in all that time - a brilliant car!
Now - March 17 F20 M140i Auto - Melbourne Red - Black Dakota - Black Kidney Grills - MPE plus Carbon Fibre Tips
Gone - Sept 12 F20 125d Auto - Estoril blue - Black Dakota

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 pm
Nope, it’s not been into the garage since I got it from new

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 pm

mitford wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm
2Stevo2 wrote:
How have u been getting on? Any improvement/worsening?

I asked about the enhancement as it may have been related if u had but the fact that you havent means its unlikely.

mitford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mitford » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 am

2Stevo2 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:04 pm
mitford wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm
2Stevo2 wrote:
How have u been getting on? Any improvement/worsening?

I asked about the enhancement as it may have been related if u had but the fact that you havent means its unlikely.
Hi mate. It’s getting progressively worse happens every journey to work. I even had the drivetrain warning without it hesitating/juddering the other day. I’ve only got work tomorrow then And I’m off for two weeks and it’s going into the garage Tuesday so hopefully it should get fixed long before I need it again

rozel

Post by rozel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Defo Egr. There have been many cars brought into my dealership recently, including mine. Not sure what's happening but software was updated too, pushing out my codings.
125D M Sport - 8 Speed Steptronic - Driver Comfort Package - Interior Comfort Package - M Sport + Package - Media Package - Professional - Folding Exterior Mirrors

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm

rozel wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Defo Egr. There have been many cars brought into my dealership recently, including mine. Not sure what's happening but software was updated too, pushing out my codings.
It's part of a "quality enhancement" to replace the EGRs, the ones leaving the factory had a known issue apparently. This will also include a full re-code of the ECU which is why it can take a few hours, if not an overnight job.

Had mine done a couple of weeks back after I got the dreaded drivetrain error. I was also experiencing similar symptoms to the OP every now and then, ever since I owned the car from new really.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

2Stevo2
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2Stevo2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm

neilmcl wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm
rozel wrote:
It's part of a "quality enhancement" to replace the EGRs, the ones leaving the factory had a known issue apparently. This will also include a full re-code of the ECU which is why it can take a few hours, if not an overnight job.

Had mine done a couple of weeks back after I got the dreaded drivetrain error. I was also experiencing similar symptoms to the OP every now and then, ever since I owned the car from new really.
Since you've had the EGR enhancement, has it cured the occassional acceleration hesitation?

I am very tempted to have the EGR valve deleted. Can only see positives from doing this.

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm

2Stevo2 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm
neilmcl wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm
rozel wrote:

Since you've had the EGR enhancement, has it cured the occassional acceleration hesitation?

I am very tempted to have the EGR valve deleted. Can only see positives from doing this.
Not noticed it since, but then it didn't happen all the time for me. I don't see why you don't just book it in to get the EGR changed over.
2016 F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
2013 F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
2009 E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”