Aftermarket parking sensors

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Stephen25uk

Aftermarket parking sensors

Post by Stephen25uk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 am

Morning folks, I’m going to install a set of aftermarket parking sensors in the rear of my my 1 series, 2015 f21 , lci I’ve found a suitable cable entry point behind the rear bumper into the boot area and up behind the passenger side rear light area.
Can anyone tell me where I can find the plug that connects into the rear light or the cable I need to tap into for the reversing light for the life of me I can’t find it, I’ve got a good earth point no problem, Just can’t find the reversing cable wire for power to tap into.
Any help greatly appreciated

BFleming
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Aftermarket parking sensors

Post by BFleming » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 am

I did this on a F20 (pre-LCI) and I used the reverse light wire was on the RHS of the boot. Remove the carpet & you'll see the rear wiring loom. I think the LCI has reverse lights in the outer light units, so not much difference pre-and-post LCI.
You can trace all the lights back to the Rear Electronic Module (REM). This is your wiring diagram: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f21- ... 1VnYSbVVSC (I chose a LCI F21 118d arbitrarily).
Essentially you have a blue & green wire coming from each reverse light to the REM, to the pins shown. I could visually trace my wire from the light unit to the REM once the boot side trim was removed.
In anticipation of someone chiming in saying you'll get a blown bulb warning by tapping into one of these wires, it depends on your reverse sensor kit. I used a Cobra kit that needed a 12V supply and a reverse light supply. The idea is that it gets its main power from the 12V, and draws next to nothing from the reverse light supply. I get no bulb warnings.
HTH
2013 BMW F20 114i SE
2013 BMW F11 525d SE
2000 Porsche 986 Boxster 2.7
1983 Porsche 944

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”