Handbrake not disengaging properly?

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

robbiepearce

Handbrake not disengaging properly?

Post by robbiepearce » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 am

Hi,

I have a F22 218i Coupe that has a weird issue with the handbrake. Basically, it seems like it's not disengaging properly and making a noise when you drive along - you can hear it binding as the wheels go round. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not making contact with the entire drum so isn't a constant noise, it's catching on something that apparently isn't round and makes you sound like a steam train :roll:

The only way to make it go away is to stop and put the handbrake on/off again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it takes few goes.

The dealer has looked at it in the past and claimed it was corrosion on the drum catching the shoes, which they cleaned off. That didn't fix it, so they replaced the rear brakes and as far as I know it settled for a while. (You don't always hear it unless you have the window open, which obviously over winter doesn't happen that much). Anyway, it's started again and I have no idea why. The car is driven multiple times a day during the week, at least one day at weekends and has honestly in it's life never been left for longer than 2-3 days so I can't understand why so much corrosion would be building up? I've tried the thing where you pull the handbrake up slightly as you're moving to clean off the drums but it makes no difference (and never has).

It's obviously going back into the dealer but I'm pretty sure they're going to argue it's corrosion again and brakes aren't a warranty item etc etc so I just wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

Thanks!

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Handbrake not disengaging properly?

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am

robbiepearce wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 am
Hi,

I have a F22 218i Coupe that has a weird issue with the handbrake. Basically, it seems like it's not disengaging properly and making a noise when you drive along - you can hear it binding as the wheels go round. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not making contact with the entire drum so isn't a constant noise, it's catching on something that apparently isn't round and makes you sound like a steam train :roll:

The only way to make it go away is to stop and put the handbrake on/off again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it takes few goes.

The dealer has looked at it in the past and claimed it was corrosion on the drum catching the shoes, which they cleaned off. That didn't fix it, so they replaced the rear brakes and as far as I know it settled for a while. (You don't always hear it unless you have the window open, which obviously over winter doesn't happen that much). Anyway, it's started again and I have no idea why. The car is driven multiple times a day during the week, at least one day at weekends and has honestly in it's life never been left for longer than 2-3 days so I can't understand why so much corrosion would be building up? I've tried the thing where you pull the handbrake up slightly as you're moving to clean off the drums but it makes no difference (and never has).

It's obviously going back into the dealer but I'm pretty sure they're going to argue it's corrosion again and brakes aren't a warranty item etc etc so I just wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

Thanks!
How old is it? Sounds like cr@p building up around the shoes; pop em out and give it a good clean, and check the bits that should move are moving freely ; might need some lubrication (not on the friction surfaces :roll: ) :D
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Octavius

Re: Handbrake not disengaging properly?

Post by Octavius » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 am

Try driving along slowly and pump the handbrake. This is recommend by BMW to keep the faces clean and the auto adjustment working correctly.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”