Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Wiper swipe adjustment

Post by McTrucky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Going down the road, in the rain, with wipers going full chat, they strike the pillar on the driver side. Thump thump thump.

Dealer looked at it and said fault not found. Muppets. Parked up in the garage with wipers on low is not quite the same as into a 70mph wind; and what did they think, that I would lie about it to get a free adjustment that I didn't need? Arghhh!!

Anyway...., is there a way to adjust this a few millimetres? I suspect turning on the spline would be too much, but don't know.

Thanks.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Wiper swipe adjustment

Post by marco_polo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Weird, mine definitely have an inch or so's clearance to the A Pillar. We can compare and contrast this Sunday. :)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

hjabotelho

Post by hjabotelho » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:08 pm
Going down the road, in the rain, with wipers going full chat, they strike the pillar on the driver side. Thump thump thump.

Dealer looked at it and said fault not found. Muppets. Parked up in the garage with wipers on low is not quite the same as into a 70mph wind; and what did they think, that I would lie about it to get a free adjustment that I didn't need? Arghhh!!

Anyway...., is there a way to adjust this a few millimetres? I suspect turning on the spline would be too much, but don't know.

Thanks.
Would be good to know if and how you get this resolved. I was just saying to my Mrs on a drive up to Scotland how annoying with wiper was!

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Took the cap off, and then the 16mm nut, but couldn't lift the wiper off the spindle. Need a puller, so might make one at some point. The mechanism is all under a trim peice, so can't see if there is any way to adjust. There is the merest mark on the paint on the A pillar where it touches, so do want to get this fixed before it wears through and causes a rust spot.

MP yes, still plan to be there at the weekend. From previous posts, you may be interested in my sound reduction mods....
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

GMballistic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by GMballistic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Is the wiper blade itself the correct size one? You know length wise I mean.

Also worth checking that the passenger side wiper blade hasn't been put on the drivers side and vice versa as usually one is longer than the other.

If they're correct then the only other way to fix it is as you've figured and move the whole arm a few notches over on the wiper motor spline. Good luck. :)
2012 Alpine White F20 M135i

stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stevesurrey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:11 pm

When the wipers are in the parked position do they sit OK or higher than you would expect ? Moving them on the spline will naturally affect the park position too.
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Car is as it left the factory. The passenger park position does look high, but the driver's side is pretty horizontal. I'll make a puller and try rotating on the spline and see if it is too much.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Car is as it left the factory. The passenger park position does look high, but the driver's side is pretty horizontal. I'll make a puller and try rotating on the spline and see if it is too much.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this Al?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm

No, weather has been too good to worry about it. I did take the cover off but couldn't see an easy way to get at the motor. Thought I might be able to put a spacer (washers) to move it a couple of mills but looked like taking more time than I had spare so never finished it.

V11boy

Post by V11boy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Mine was doing this - was thinking of doing what you are - however I changed the wiper blades (Bosch ones) to start with and it didn’t let the arm get so close to the a pillar so the noise stopped.

6 months so far so good.

edbutler
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by edbutler » Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am

When you remove the nut from the wiper arm, rather than pulling on them (which is very difficult), repeatedly push them down instead - there should be some play. You just need to break the initial bite and corrosion off then friction joint.

Once you have it moving 1mm or so, you should be able to move the wiper arm to your desired position. Just moving it 1" closer to the bottom of the windscreen should give you clearance :)

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sat May 26, 2018 9:48 am

edbutler wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am
When you remove the nut from the wiper arm, rather than pulling on them (which is very difficult), repeatedly push them down instead - there should be some play. You just need to break the initial bite and corrosion off then friction joint.

Once you have it moving 1mm or so, you should be able to move the wiper arm to your desired position. Just moving it 1" closer to the bottom of the windscreen should give you clearance :)
The whole assembly is a bit flimsy, so I worry about pushing and tugging will bend the whole thing. So I still reckon on making a puller to fit is the safest option.

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:24 am

marco_polo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm
McTrucky wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Did you ever get to the bottom of this Al?
I took the wiper off to see how big a spline would move it, and this is what I found:
wiper spindle.jpg
wiper spindle.jpg (238.18 KiB) Viewed 303 times
I will email BMW service peeps and see if they want it in to address this 'off set' or not. Haven't been in any hurry because I can't remember the last time it rained!

Any thoughts? Is this a 'live with it', or 'something clearly wrong' thing?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Have you at least shaved your wiper and/or added some helicopter tape on your A Pillar to limit further paint damage?

I can't tell from your photo whether the plastic wiper grill is off, or the wiper spindle, or a bit of both? Or how much adjustment there is on anything?

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Spindle is off, there is no play in the cowelling, spindle is just not where it is designed to be.

No A pillar impact recently due to dry weather 😎 not applied helicopter tape as not needed... Currently...

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”