New Brake pads - uneven contact

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196

LittleWellsy

New Brake pads - uneven contact

Post by LittleWellsy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Got the front pads changed about 2 weeks ago, was going to get them done during a service but the dealer wanted £255 so ended up going to an independent and went for Brembo. I done the 'recommended' break in process (or should I say one out of the many talked about online). I've been keeping an eye on the discs since, and there's a strip of rust on them on both driver and passenger sides towards the inner edge.

I just checked again and it seems that on the drivers side it's starting to make full contact and wearing off the rust, but on the passenger side there's still a rust ring on the inner portion of the disc.

Questions:

Could I have done something wrong during the break in process? I done a few moderate brakes from 60mph to 10/15mph and then about 10 relatively heavy brakes from 60mph to 10mph with a minute or so in between each to allow them to cool

Could it be a fitting issue? in which case ill call the garage and get them to look at it.

Will it affect the discs or pads in any negative way in the near or distant future?

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: New Brake pads - uneven contact

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm

If you fitted new pads onto worn/used discs it will take some time/mileage to wear the new flat pads to the worn/uneven surface of the discs and get full contact sweep, this is why its recommended to fit new discs and pads as a set but as long as discs are not tooooo badly worn the pads should soon wear to shape.

Have you any pictures of discs as they are now ?
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

LittleWellsy

Re: New Brake pads - uneven contact

Post by LittleWellsy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am

That makes sense, and the discs aren't worn at all really. No lip on them from what i can see and its the same thing was said during it's health check before the service.

I'd get pictures, but since posting yesterday they have made full contact on both sides so they just look normal. They obviously waited two weeks for me to post on here asking about it :lol:

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”